Engine "options"...

Are there any currently purchasable engines that can be used on a Batavus? I love the Laura M48 but they are a bit scarce... and I need 2! Are there any modern engines that can work with the frames without welding? I have no welding tools or facilities in which to safely weld. I would much rather just have working 48's for them of course... but I am curious. Anyone played with this before?

Re: Engine "options"...

♣Slew Foot♣ /

They are not as scarce as you think. There are replacements pug or motobeacane but you need a swivel and tensioner.

What do you need to fix the oem motors?

you have a few options. anything that can be welded can be bracketed.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> el pollo Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> you have a few options. anything that can be welded can be bracketed.

OP stated he has no welding abilities.

There are no bolt-on/bracket-on motors available for the M48.

M48's aren't that hard to find and go cheap. Keep an eye on the buy/sell and ebay.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Post a wanted add in the buy/sell forum looking for M48's. There are also shops that will rebuild motors if you do not have the means to do so yourself. I think DOS does it???

Josiah Radebaugh /

If you make mounts, you could fit pretty much anything. A Honda z50 would be cool. As mentioned above, you might try posting in Buy/sell.

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> They are not as scarce as you think. There are replacements pug or

> motobeacane but you need a swivel and tensioner.

>

> What do you need to fix the oem motors?

I have one with a hard seize that I have been beating at for a month now and it's not moving and I cant safely bake the engine to get it apart. Again, just dont have a safe space. I do my work in my bedroom... and have 4 young kids with no wife or partner. I have another engine that the casing is broken where the clutch arm attaches... and then some. It's pretty much useless... aside from the good top end and piston. I have one more that the tranny is shattered and the screw s bent... And that engine is seized too. If I can get the top end free of the 1st one, I can put a good piston and top end on... but I cant break it free. It looks like the wall has fused to the top of the piston. I'm hoping to get my hands on a small enough grinder to cut the sucker free and replace... but that's only 1 motor for 3 frames. I'll post some looking-for posts here in the new year I think.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

There are motor brackets that fit puch or Tomos s engines and it would just be drilling some holes and cutting out the excess Angkor made a Laura clone.

I have case halves and 2 cranks.

Use areo kroil lube stuff they clean the cattle mutilater with it.

24 hrs w soak then hit it with a wooden dowel and a mallet and it should pop out

The OEM cylinders are hard to come by but you can use a chainsaw piston I think it's a still also you can rebore it if you're really careful and put it out to 42 mm and hope that the skirt don't crack otherwise you'd have to report it if you go over 43 because of the channels in the skirt create a weak spot that will crack so you could copy the core Port map 4 a reed with large stroke and read up I used an RD 60 piston and I cut it down so that at bottom dead center it didn't catch on the crank

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> > el pollo Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > you have a few options. anything that can be welded can be bracketed.

>

> OP stated he has no welding abilities.

>

> There are no bolt-on/bracket-on motors available for the M48.

you don't need welding abilities to make brackets. time to step up and fab some, that's the way I do it.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> el pollo Wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > el pollo Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > you have a few options. anything that can be welded can be

> bracketed.

>

> >

>

> > OP stated he has no welding abilities.

>

> >

>

> > There are no bolt-on/bracket-on motors available for the M48.

>

> you don't need welding abilities to make brackets. time to step up and

> fab some, that's the way I do it.

The Laura M48 motor is subframe hung on this bike, there is no simple bracket solution that will function.

Again, you don't own a moped, so there is no "way you do it."

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account