the ol california loopyhole

Has anyone ever successfully registered a qt50 as a moped in california? I bought an '80 and it has about 20 some odd years time out of reg. Never even got a title, bill of sale, etc, so registering it properly is out of the question. i have a different frame on its way from out of state, but I'm not even sure if its worth the hassle of registering.

Here in socal the enforcement is pretty lax, it will probably just be ridden hot its whole life.

Re: the ol california loopyhole

Terbo Speghetti /

Seems like you're thinking too hard about it. The less you worry now, the more believable it is when you shrug at a cop and say "sorry, i didn't know i had to register this little toy!"

I registered a 1957 Moto beta motorcycle with a 50cc Franco Moroni 3 speed motor with no pedals and a top speed of 60mph as a moped/motorized bicycle in socal and rode it for years without any hassle.

I ran it at 20:1 so it smoked like a diesel, had a headlight and taillight, but no mirrors, brake light, horn, etc, and got thumbs ups from every cop who saw it.

Your qt50 looks less threatening than a razor scooter, so you'll probably be fine with the moped/motorized bicycle registration.

> Your qt50 looks less threatening than a razor scooter, so you'll

> probably be fine with the moped/motorized bicycle registration.

thankfully we don't have to include a picture when sending off for reg.

Its starting to look less and less like a moped every day.

https://imgur.com/a/ow1PSU3 (edited)

Captain Janeway /

People say use the Vermont method. See wiki

I actually just read about the vermont method on another site. If i have trouble with california dmv ill definitely go the vermont method. now I just have to find this updated california moped reg form that there apparently is.

Captain Janeway /

It's posted in the current other thread on this same topic. Just go to DMV website and print from there

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account