Is a moped right for me?

Hi, sorry if this has been covered, but I didn't see a similar topic when I searched. Anyway, here's my question:

I'm a young man who just moved from the USA to Belgium, and I'd like to buy a moped to get to work and explore the countryside here. I've always wanted a classic moped, I love working on simple small engines, and I know I would really enjoy it. But is something as old as a Puch Maxi (or Motobecane 7s) going to give me trouble as a daily commuter?

Would I be better off with an old scooter like a Honda scoopy/city express/sh50?

Thanks for your advice, I really don't know any moped drivers to ask!

Re: Is a moped right for me?

You're in the right place for mopeds, geographically speaking. The Continental Europeans were practically breastfed on 2 stroke mix. You can pick up decent deals. Buy a runner, see it run, see it started from cold and from hot. If there are any problems with it after you buy it, you will find people who can fix it with there eyes shut. Parts are easier to get from somewhere like Puchshop or JMPB when you're that side of the pond. Where in Belgium you at? We used to go to Ghent loads.

yeah probably the best place for mopeds. I would definitely want to stick with something 80s+ and with full suspension. definitely not a moby 7. They're great bikes and will do 40 mile rides no problem but that thing would fall apart in a heartbeat on belgian roads. A hilariously antiquated clutch style combined with a rigid frame and dangerously undersized brakes makes for a great beer runner. not a daily.

After the 7 was stolen I had a hard time finding another bike that was just as cute but now im building a stripped qt50. I would search around and see what was really sold the most around those times and go from there. I'm sure only a local could tell you the market.

The question you must ask is...

...are you right for a moped?

What schmitty said along with everyone else. You're in the perfect place to get into proper vintage mopeds. From my experience, Puchs and Tomos are solid and reliable+++plenty of parts available+++easy to work on. I have ridden my Tomos bikes almost daily for the past three summers with little trouble. If you're able to tinker and willing to spend a little bit of time maintaining the thing, you should have no trouble riding it daily. From my experience, the things that break are just silly little things that don't take too much time or effort to fix. When you start to push the envelope and make fast blaster bikes is when the more frequent issues tend to develop.

Welcome to our side of the pond!

If you want a moped for your daily commute i'd suggest looking for a stock unmolested one.

There's a Facebook group called "oldtimer brommers" which has a lot of Belgians on it.

In the Netherlands Marktplaats is the go to website for buying mopeds, I don't know what they use in Belgium.

Enjoy the beers and go to the nearest "frituur" to get a "frietje stoofvlees"

"stock unmolested" is exactly what I was gonna say.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I think you go to jail in the EU for molesting your moped?

Yes.

2ememain.be is probably easier for narrowing it locally. If not, depending where you are in comparison to France try leboncoin.fr

Dirty30 Dillon /

The Honda Scoopy is sick, I have wanted one for awhile.

A moped is always going to be less reliable than a scooter. But if you are ok with learning about your bike most things can be bodged enough to get you home.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

If you are mechanicly inclined and have the tools and knowledge.a moped is more dependable than most cars. If you have a parts bike. My daily runner 90% of problems can be fixed within an hour. A really big teardown build 5 hrs. Try that with a car.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account