Crank bearing stick. How to remove?

Tried to put my bearings on the crank today and one didn’t set and then cooled and got stuck. How do you remove this?

Ricky

25BD47D0-AFD4-40B9-8B9F-CBAEC3963E13.jpeg

Re: Crank bearing stick. How to remove?

Buy a bearing puller tool.

Just hammer it on the rest of the way supporting the lobe from the inside as to not bang the crank out of true

beat it on, pull it and try again, next time put your crank in the freezer and heat the bearing. If you heat/freeze it enough the bearing will just fall into place.

You have a bearing splitter? They work a charm and are made for removing bearings next to a crank cheek. Also used for pulling bearings in an automotive differential.

John in Texas

Pushrod Fifty /

First get it straight then tap it down with a piece of pipe.

I've always installed the bearings into the engine case first using a driver on the outer race. Then install crank by drawing shaft through middle race utilizing the threaded end with various copper sleeves and washers. You have to be sure to have at least a couple of threads engaged at all times. Seals go in last.

20160312_150419.jpg

(edited)

These are universal tools I've used for pulling bearings available at most any auto parts store or ebay. Black one is called a bearing splitter.

20160331_143237.jpg
20160308_150354.jpg

take it to an auto shop with a hydraulic press. they wont charge much. sorry im not close to you because I have a press. literally 2 minutes and done no heat needed. 10$ job,

bearing puller

if you dont have one, you can cut it, get the outter race off first and remove the ball bearings. then cut the inner but not all the way through bc you'll probably damage the crank. you only wanna cut like 1/2 way through the inner race like on 2 or 3 sides, then pry it and/or tap it and she should crack and fall off.

this is NOT the correct way to do it, lol i dont recommend it but hey it is an option

A bearing splitter and puller in action. Nice set up.

John in Texas

***Kim Jong illest*** /

maybe its the angle of your pic but it looks like you bent your crank too

Pushrod Fifty /

I brought a bearing splitter set from Harnor Freight for 50.00, works great.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I've always installed the bearings into the engine case first using a

> driver on the outer race. Then install crank by drawing shaft through

> middle race utilizing the threaded end with various copper sleeves and

> washers. You have to be sure to have at least a couple of threads

> engaged at all times. Seals go in last.

> >

Freeze crank

Freeze bearings

Next day heat oven to 225f ( add cases to oven during preheating so the case doesn’t get shocked with to much heat)

Use temp gun to make sure the case is to the correct temp, slip frozen bearings into place. Allow to cool then re heat case in the oven with bearings installed. When case and bearings are up to temp take the crank from the freezer and pop it into place.

what's wrong with doing it the right way with a bearing press? why do you want to remove the stuck bearing when you can just press it on? lost for words.

Agree with any of all the above so stick it in the freezer tonight , take it out , position it so gravity is on your side , heat with even a heat gun no need to a flame unless u like fire , and if u have some kind of circular device that fits over the crank end and rests on the inner bearing race, tap lightly.

Probably Fred /

Follow whatever the manual says to do

ricky miles /

got it off with a bearing press. thanks everyone!

Wrap it in a wet kitchen towel on a plate. Throw it in the microwave for 1:30. Have the crank ready cuz it’ll be hot, and a glove prolly.

i never feel good about pulling on the outer race of a brand new bearing, it stresses the races too poop.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account