Baby wrencher

Just a pic of my 5 year old putting the light plate back on this Starflite I'm working on. She also helped me a little doing some work on an HS50 earlier today.

20191215_142254.jpg

My Batavus HS50 rear lights stopped working. At first I thought the bulbs blew but it turns out the line was loose under the rear fender and rubbed up against the rear tire... which neatly shaved the wires in two. I fixed that and I took the panniers off cause they kept curling into the spokes. Not worth it. THEN after all that, I got some replacement covers for the transmission and the flywheel... but when I covered the flywheel, the engine died. Long story short- because the flywheel itself is a little rusty, when I covered it it kept the tiny particles inside the casing and gummed up the points so it wasn't moving as it should... no spark to the plug. So I cleaned that out with compressed air and know that I can't put a cover over it until I swap out the flywheel with a not rusty one. Ugh. But now shes running strong and happy and the lights work. So yay :-)

20191215_135041.jpg

Hope my girl keeps being interested in wrenching. My oldest loves to ride. He will have to get into fixing lol. Anybody else got kids who may dig the moped life?

Re: Baby wrencher

I helped grandfather wrench from when I was old enough to pass tools. Hopefully your kiddos will stick with it as long as I have :)

That's awesome. :)

Great your little one likes to help .

Why not pull that flywheel and remove any rust ?

That should have already been done .

Save a few bucks , for that kids college fund . ;)

CUTE kid! Now don't let her overtorque those screws..LOL!

That’s so funny, I literally JUST installed the same taillight on my Maxi.

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Great your little one likes to help .

>

> Why not pull that flywheel and remove any rust ?

>

> That should have already been done .

>

> Save a few bucks , for that kids college fund . ;)

Need a puller still. I actually have a replacement that's practically pristine. When I get one, it will be swapped!!

> David Herrera Wrote:

> Need a puller still. I actually have a replacement that's practically

> pristine. When I get one, it will be swapped!!

That kid is likely smart enough anyway . ;)

My 4 year old son loves hanging out while I am working.

I think he just likes having access to my tools though so he can cut random things and smash rocks with hammers.

He has his own safety glasses and dust/vapor masks.

Just need to get him some kid size gloves and a welding helmet and he will be all set.

My older kid wants nothing to do with any of it.

He feigns interest and will start talking to me about "motorbikes" at bedtime just to stay up a bit longer

You need one more and you'll have `tool time'!

theres a coupla kids on bike threads, it's super fun. my daughter, 3, regularly tries to help but usually I just get in trouble when she comes back inside with dirty hands. we fixed a snowblower a little while ago, I let her turn bolts and stuff. it makes things WAYYYYY slower but also way more fun.

Aaron Ward /

Couple kids, couple beers and some moped time = awesome.

MVIMG_20190120_165131.jpg
IMG_20180103_203327.jpg
IMG_20180406_221423.jpg

Cutie pies helping......LOL! How bout their ages, Aaron? I'm guessing she's 5 and he's 7?

Aaron Ward /

Almost 5 my daughter is, my son is 12. He shows less interest in the mopeds then my daughter. Everyday last summer my girl wanted to go for a moped ride, I just Cruz around the neighborhood with her, so we put on her little full face helmet and ride around, she loves it and has the biggest smile on her face when we're done.

IMG954947.jpg

Heh,He…….NOW I see how tall he is compared to that moped. I can't believe he isn't fascinated by the moped. Too many computer games?

Captain Janeway /

All you guys with daughters: PLEASE also teach them basic household repairs like plumbing, changing electric outlets, some basic repairs on things like cabinets etc.

I thank my dad all the time that he taught me.

He'd be gone to sea 6 months at a time and decided that the girls in his house should not be helpless. He also taught me how to drink beer and watch football lol

Overpriced Parts /

> Captain Janeway Wrote:

> All you guys with daughters: PLEASE also teach them basic household

> repairs like plumbing, changing electric outlets, some basic repairs on

> things like cabinets etc.

>

> I thank my dad all the time that he taught me.

>

> He'd be gone to sea 6 months at a time and decided that the girls in his

> house should not be helpless. He also taught me how to drink beer and

> watch football lol

Most Electrical work and most plumbing work in my state has to be done with licensed contractors/persons if not homeowner insurance will not pay for damage,

Captain Janeway /

>

> Most Electrical work and most plumbing work in my state has to be done

> with licensed contractors/persons if not homeowner insurance will not

> pay for damage,

Wow, even basic stuff like changing an outlet? Now I'll have to go back and check my insurance. What state are you in?

Well,Ken, I'm in Ohio and never heard I need a certified electrician unless I'm needing the outside service serviced.

I've added breakers and wired in outside outlets and put in a disconnect for my 2-post lift,etc.

Aaron Ward /

Yep daughter helps with that too. She usually just holds the flash light!

IMG_20181104_134549.jpg

F0A2E877-791B-4103-99DE-2FC5418E793D.jpeg
F0A2E877-791B-4103-99DE-2FC5418E793D.jpeg

My helper..

All my 3 of my girls love riding double with me around the neighborhood too! (5, 7 and 8) and my son (11) rides around our home by himself :-D 2 of my girls show interest in wrenching but my son doesnt at all. I havent told him that he doesnt get one until he learns 1st lol. Bet that will change his mind :-D

More working... here shes putting a 17mm on the breaker bar... working on freeing an m48 today.

She put the helmet on cause she bumped her head on the handlebars :-)

20200105_125404.jpg

Smart too! Knows the value of the brain bucket! CUTE!

tiny circlips call for tiny hands(edited)

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 9.20.37 AM.png

> Mike L Wrote:

> tiny circlips call for tiny hands

Love it!

Dang it. Now my throat feels like I swallered a chicken abortion.

More wrenching with my 5 year old :-) Today its swapping the bracket onto a better bicycle seat.. not a moped but still good practice :-D

20200112_124348.jpg

Get her a little pair of mechanics' gloves.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account