Honda Hobbit engine case internal damage thoughts

Doing an engine rebuild. Tearing down the engine noticed this damage inside the left side of the case where the cylinder slides into the case. Thoughts? Replace left side of case? Entire case? Cause? I’m kinda lost here.

Ricky

B41CB179-51EB-42D2-A002-C285BEB8A5E2.jpeg
FE613510-61CD-4772-ADAB-80382C7644A1.jpeg

Re: Honda Hobbit engine case internal damage thoughts

Oops this image too

D5DB2258-43D3-4A37-BEDD-ED1AA1CD3FBC.jpeg

looks like you have pa50I cases and someone ground down the ridges to fit a pa50II cylinder

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Honda_PA_Model_Differences(edited)

It's fine. Think about it, why would scratches on a non bearing surface be a problem. If your worried about it grab some sandpaper and have fun.

The help y’all provide is so amazing. Yes I couldn’t for the life of me see how this could have happened on its own. Ok so the consensus is that I can move forward with my build without worry?

Thanks both Aaron and Chris!

Ricky

I’m putting in a 70 kit

Which one? The DR is pretty good. There's a guy here that makes sweet hobbit pipes. Wish I could remember who...

The proma works great too but can be a bit loud at times...like all the time.

Terbo Speghetti /

That guy who makes the pipes is Ryan Go from the Cranks. You can prob find him easiest on the Milwaukee Cranks member list

Hey Aaron,

I’m using this kit:

https://www.treatland.tv/hobbit-malossi-cast-iron-70cc-kit-p/honda-malossi-45.5mm-313642.htm

Just to be clear, there is no problem with this engine case and I’m fine to move forward right? Thx again for all the help!

Ricky

yeah that's fine. chris nailed it, theres ridges to grind to swap cylinder on PA50-1 (slow) cases. they're only on half the case cuz honda is smart and just doing 1 case half with restrictors serves the same purpose and saves from making excess unique parts. grinding it is a thing people have to do sometimes. it's not the best handiwork but it's not a problem.

Great! Thanks everyone. Ill post a picture of the final assembly!

Ricky

Think about it....

How are you going to keep primary compression inside the crankcase with a hole like that in it?

The hole doesn't appear to be a problem structurally. Can you not fill the gap with something like JB Weld?

Mike

You are suggesting that because the ridges are ground down, the case wont keep its compression? Isn't the PA50II case missing the ridges by design? So if the crank case has been modified to match the PA50II case then there should not be a problem right? Not understanding what you mean by "crankcase with a hole in it".

Ricky

i think he was looking at it like there's a gap between the two halves, but i think it's just a trick of the picture that makes the black case gasket look like maybe it's an open gap. IF that was open yeah it'd be a big issue, but what i'm seeing is the case gasket and you're fine.

yeah yeah thats is just the gasket

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account