Honda Hobbit Aftermarket Headlight Install Question

Hi there,

My original Honda Hobbit PAII headlight bucket is destroyed. So I got a new universal 5 inch headlight with the bracket for PAII. Something like this:

https://www.treatland.tv/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=best-headlight-in-the-land

Ive seen this set up on a bunch of rebuilt Honda Hobbits but not in person or in detail. My question is this: Since the original Honda Hobbit headlight bucket contains the headlight, speedometer and key ignition, where does the ignition go with this aftermarket setup? Are people bypassing the ignition all together? And if so, does anyone know how? Id be thankful for any input!

Ricky

Re: Honda Hobbit Aftermarket Headlight Install Question

The Honda wiring is all in the bucket there's lots of stuff in the OEM bucket That's why if you were going to use that headlight you would have to simplify the wiring on your bike to the extreme or find another place for all these wires to interact with each other you can go on the wiki and download the wiring diagram and see just how many different things such as the switches for your brake lights the ignition on and off your ride the speedometer the horn button goes through there everything goes through there it's all interacts through the wires that are inside the headlight bucket. I would assume if you're riding the bike somewhere in Seattle you would like to have your brake light come on when you squeeze the brakes maybe not but I would even maybe want turn signals if I was really urban riding all the time

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

Yeah, you need a headlight, that has a big enough bucket, to stuff all the extra wiring into. Do not simplify, or hack up the harness in any way. Hobbit headlights are harder and harder to come by, especially the speedo cable, and the cheap plastic speedo drive. So I switched to VDO cable and drive, with a Columbia headlight I had.

DSCN4204.JPG
DSCN4211.JPG

^ That looks pretty darn great!

Thanks Harvey,

I like the advice. I like yer ped too looks awesome. What did you do with the ignition with your setup? I don’t see it anywhere!?

Ricky

The Hobbit has a turn off switch on the right control perch. What u r talking about is the key. That wiring can be suspended with. Look for a Vespa or other bucket that mounts to the forks. I'm using a general on my mutant Hobbit without the ignition key. I have a simple kill switch on the renthal bar that's on the mutant with kx80 fork. But still all the otherwiring needs a home.

Thanks Marc,

Love the input thank you very much. Yes you are right I am talking about the key and not an ignition in the classic sense. Quick question though, when you say that your ped is set up "without the ignition key" what do you mean? Did you wire it to bypass the ignition key? If you did, Im wondering what the exact method might be.

Rickey

I'll pull up the wiring diagram in a bit diagram

Screenshot_20191211-124638.png

So the ignition switch is another kill switch. It's redundant to the on off switch on the right controls. Just tape off the two wires so the black/white one doesn't ground out. Look on the wiki Honda ...electrical ..colorized points version.

Here are 2 light set ups I like a lot that work on hobbit. You can cut out all the extra wires and just keep the throttle kill switch if you'd like. These both come in 2 packs from the auto parts store for $20 and are more than bright enough.

20191129_154410.jpg
20191118_191832.jpg

You can just drill a hole in the new bucket if you want to keep the key dude.

Get a Vespa bucket. You just missed one.

Ill try and get to my hobbit this week. I put it all in an also Magnum bucket after my og one broke. Took a little finaglement but it all fit. Dremeled a hole for the switch.

Got some headlight mounting ears and haven't looked back. Did switch to an old but updated Garmin gps for a speedo tho.

Show us the Garmin item u r mounting ease

SOLVED:

I shoved all the wires into the new bucket and nixed the ignition and permanently hot-wired it. Wiring was simple. The back of the ignition has 4 wires. Red, black, green and black with a white stripe. Connect the red and black wire. Clip and tape off the ends of the green wire and black with white stripe wire so they never connect. And I just now use the stock kill switch to turn on and off the bike. Works great.

392EFBBF-959C-4A0F-AC95-8484D3077DB5.jpeg
B4BC8BC2-3FF2-4B15-8B40-689609B2D284.jpeg
« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account