Kamasura questions.

I came across a Kamasura moped about a month ago. I got it for the low price of FREE! I cleaned it up and got it running without much fuss. It's my first moped and I absolutely love it. I did some research and found out they are just about worthless.

Within a week of having the Kamasura, I ended up buying a basket case of a JC Penny Pinto2. It needs a bunch of love and I plan to do that over the winter.

However, the wiring on the Kamasura is all messed up. It runs but the ignition switch won't shut it off. I have to pull the plug wire. The tail light works. I have the headlight housing but the bulb is missing. None of the turn signals work. The brake light and horn also don't work.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this thing? I also would like to know what headlight bulb it uses.

Re: Kamasura questions.

At least you didn’t overpay! I’m sorry, but I’ll be of no help to you. But I thought I’d chime in anyway. It’s a good looking worthless bike, tho! The geometry of those rear shocks and swing arm seems off; maybe it’s just me. Good luck! Cool bike.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

These bikes DO hilariously come with the shocks setup like that! unbelievably stupid design.

Crazy weird history with these bikes, something to do with a mail order for a “much fancier” motorcycle and the buyer ended up with a terrible fake sachs engined style moped.

Something to appreciate though, they are a rare bird indeed. Cheers

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> At least you didn’t overpay! I’m sorry, but I’ll be of no help to you.

> But I thought I’d chime in anyway. It’s a good looking worthless bike,

> tho! The geometry of those rear shocks and swing arm seems off; maybe

> it’s just me. Good luck! Cool bike.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

PS, ignition switch is pretty simple. Just grounds out the ignition usually to stop the bike. Pretty universal thing, sure it will be an easy fix.

Looks like a Sachs 1a, or more likely a Sachs clone. So the stator is probably Bosch (or clone) Wiring should be kinda similar to any bike that came with that stator. I’d just gut the harness and start from scratch but you do you.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,118591,118665,flat=1

Terbo Speghetti /

I can't help at all, but i won't love to see underneath a kamasura flywheel. Even if it's just for the novelty

Yeah these were a mail-order scam. For only $400 in shipping costs you can you can get a emei 500 motorcycle free!! for testing and research purposes!! Lol the 250 version was a 38cc saxonette clone!

Yup you have a kamasura emei 500 there. Basically total junk. If you want to keep it throw a Sachs 505d on it and ride. Otherwise poopoo, twin tanks are kewl tho.

Take the headlight apart, the bulb will tell you what it is. Your probably screwed with wiring.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

> Road Kill Wrote:

> Worth a LOT more than u think!

>

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-1985-Kamasura-mopeds-Emei500-VRX250/293037968562?hash=item443a6c8cb2:g:pw0AAOSwUl5bH~Bg

Give me a friggin break!

"Paid $400 for back in the day free, only paid for the shipping from china. Both run, need a little love. asking for the inflation price thats all to get my money back."

> Road Kill Wrote:

> Worth a LOT more than u think!

>

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-1985-Kamasura-mopeds-Emei500-VRX250/293037968562?hash=item443a6c8cb2:g:pw0AAOSwUl5bH~Bg

Both run, need a little love. asking for the inflation price thats all to get my money back.

LOL^

So , he wants to have ridden them for 34 years for free .(edited)

I wish it was worth $1,800. But I don't think I could sell it for $180. But thats fine, it runs and rides great. It uses 20" BMX tires, so new replacements were easy to get locally and cheap. I'll use it at the lake to get around.

There isn't a moped scene here in Oklahoma. I found my Pinto2 in arkansas. I plan to make that one nice and have fun with it. I'll try to get the lights working on the Kamasura to keep Johnny Law happy. I might even attempt to tag it. The local tag agency doesn't even know how to tag it!

> Taylor King Wrote:

> it runs and rides great.

What else do you want for nothing ? ;)

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Living the life! ride that little sachs clone into the ground. then put a 2 speed manual 505 motor on it haha.

I cannot get over those shocks. somebody designed this, made a frame, installed the shocks and nobody questioned the fact that every other 2 wheeled vehicle in the world has them going in the opposite direction.

> Dan (high idle) Conway Wrote:

> Living the life! ride that little sachs clone into the ground. then put

> a 2 speed manual 505 motor on it haha.

>

> I cannot get over those shocks. somebody designed this, made a frame,

> installed the shocks and nobody questioned the fact that every other 2

> wheeled vehicle in the world has them going in the opposite direction.

They are different , but , have the same effect as forward positioned shocks .

Ever look under a pickup truck ? Some have one shock forward and one backward

That shock set-up is wacko crazy ! seems like when the swing arm goes up on a bump it would try to push the rear of the bike away from the front - like trying to stretch the whole thing. Impossible suspension geometry IMO . Not something I'd ride on the road.

No sense of adventure^ . ;)

haters gonna hate, these are probably the raddest of all crappy clone mopeds ever made.

Yea but a pickup truck the suspension goes up and down, o a moto the suspension pivots at the swingarm, and so it moves essentially in an arc. Having the shocks backwards like that doesnt really work. I mean it kinda works but not as well and with no advantage, only disadvantages.

As far as why, I'm sure they designed parts separately and that's where they had to go to clear the 2nd underseat tank. I think theres some mini wheel peugeot with backwards shocks too but yea, dumb

I personally love the kamakura because the name is hilarious, the history is super interesting, it's a sachs clone and I like Sachs, and they're faster than a sachs A, however they eliminated the coasterbrake which is lame. Dual tanks and reverse shocks cuz huh?

All the lights and stuff you can use generic bits. I think the wirings pretty simple, one out to coil, ground and lights. If you want a kill switch, as mentioned before just wire a parallel off the wire to the coil that grounds out to kill it. Lighting just pull parallel wires off the lighting wire to the front and back, good to go. Use any moped lights

Kamasura wiring is the same as Clinton and Jui Li mopeds. I haven’t owned either in a while but perhaps someone with one of those can help. They are typical Taiwan products before they got caught up to modern metallurgy and plating techniques. The clone motors are not that terrible. Too bad not a manual clutch. I had a 2 speed manual Jui Li and it did just fine once I put on a front sprocket with 2 more teeth

clinton was just a rebadged general, or at least the one i had was. it had a real sachs 505 on it.

the suspension is wonky, but it works fine for the purpose. it does more pivoting at the top mount than a traditional setup does, so those bushes may get worn out quicker, but otherwise it's fine.

i'd pay $200 for one as clean as the op picture, easy.

Yup Clinton, grysner, Jun li, and general were all made by the same factory it Taiwan.

Dave, you have any pics of that manual shift Jun li?

that actually makes some sense, at least as to why the kamasura cloned the sachs- i hadn't really considered the jui li connection. it's also later than the active moped craze, might make sense they were picking up old castings and remanufacturing them.

another thing i remember from the wiring is the little connector plastics and even the wire housing gets brittle and cracks and then things arent connected that should be, sometimes even when they look connected. a multimeter check for connectivity is a good call.

indian mopeds also share a lot of the same parts, as do some peugeots, those guys had their hands in a lot of pots!

Yeah I mean i'm sure it was just collecting whatever man8ufacturers stillm ade stuff or still had castings etc to just start up the old presses and pump out a running bike as cheaply as possible.

its super cool, I really want one. keep us updated as you fix it up!!!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account