Picked this up a few months ago. It's a Garellibela.
A previous owner took a Garelli front end and hacked on a Carabela rear end. The thing came with a tote full of parts, looking like 3 Garelli engines in states of disrepair, no extra carburators, some fenders, 2 Garelli tanks and swing arms, the original foot rest and 3 chain guards, the Carabela engine, swing arm, chain guard, and more.
Here's what all I discovered:
The Garelli petcock broke, so he slapped on a Carabela tank and petcock, bolting it at a single point THROUGH one of the holes in the spark plug coil.
At some point, the engine must have died, so he removed the Garelli engine and decided to try the Carabela, a Mexican, Minarelli clone with some but not all interchangeable Minarelli parts.
The Minarelli chain is on the left, and the Garelli on the right, so the swing arm had to be swapped to accommodate the brake and chain. As the chains are the same gauge, he just flipped the wheel upside down/backwards.
However the chain would hit the frame or swing arm, so the engine AND the shocks needed to be lowered or extended. The engine by just a couple inches, the shocks by 8 inches.
The bars added to the shocks are only connected by one bolt, so any large bump at any speed would probably fold up and cause a wreck.
I would also think that he would have had to get a longer chain, but I didn't see any EXTRA master links, however, I did see a half link.
Minarelli engines often have a ceramic resistor in the tail light that grounds when you hit the brake, preventing stalling. If you don't have the resistor, you can always just pull the wires to the brake light micro switches and connect them, making your brake lights either on all the time or off all the time, I can't remember.
With the rear wheel sitting 8 inches lower, the kickstand wasn't long enough, so he pulled one from another bike AND added another 1.5 inches to it. Since the spring didn't line up on the new kickstand, I think it goes up the center, he grabbed a rubber bungee cord, hooked one end to the luggage rack, the other to a newly drilled hole on his kickstand extension piece, then added a zip tie to make sure it didn't fall off the kickstand.
Since the rear wheel was moved back an inch or so, the fender would rub the wheel, so he moved the fender back by adding a metal concrete lag screw tap? and a 2 inch bolt.
Finally, instead of using the kill switch on the handlebar, (it's possible that it's bad) he connected a toggle switch to one of the wires from the engine and ran it to one of the wires in the tail light.
A wiring diagram for Garelli's suggest 3 wires going to the tail light, but the wire under the fender only has 2, plus his extra toggle switch wire.
Finally, it's got a Jawa seat and the exhaust bracket is missing
I'm just amazed that that the guy I got it from and the guy that made all the modifications kept the footrest, chain guards, gas tank, and swing arm. As usual, "it ran when parked!"
I had some tires, tubes, and a Tractor Supply tail light lying around, then bought about $20 worth of nuts and bolts at the hardware store and have been putting it back proper this week. It's still going to need a petcock, tail light wires, the bracket that holds the headlight switch onto the handlebar, chain, and, of course, the entire powerplant. I have a Batavus parts bike in my shed and I'm going remove it's kickstand, as I noticed that it's spring goes up the center and it's still there.