Not quite a moped, but Should I? Honda C70 Passport

So, I stumbled across a minty, blue albeit dirty Honda c70 Passport. Complete, <400 miles, not currently running, but been sitting in a dry barn in the middle of nowhere for ~38 years in a dry climate. Should clean up like new with minimal effort.

1) How are these to work on? 70cc Honda four stroke, right? Bulletproof? Tell me what I need to know about these. I don’t wanna Lifan swap, no way.

2) What should I pay as is? And if I decide to flip it for moped money (since it’s not a moped) what’s it worth cleaned up with new soft, replaceable goods (tires, tubes, cables, hoses, etc.)?

Thanks for the advice!

F3428A82-8CF2-4ADB-9722-AEC247BC8AAC.png

Re: Not quite a moped, but Should I? Honda C70 Passport

The market on old Hondas really varies. In mint shape, you could probably get $1500 for a C70 if you wait long enough to find the right buyer. Post it for auction on Bring a Trailer and you might get more. Some jackass paid like $4500 for a SnowRunner not too long ago on there

oh hell yes, once you ride it you will forget all about mopeds. that's a real classic. the price in my area is about 1000 to 1200.

I would totally buy that, in my area they seem to sell for $1,200-1,500! But you may well decide you like it, they are semi-auto 3 spd if I remember right. The newer ones were cdi.

Love em. If it's cheap buy it up.

Fuck moped snobbery on that, it's a beauty. Clean the hell out of it, get it ship shape and know you've got a solid little investment right there.

Angry Hipster /

"How are these to work on? 70cc Honda four stroke, right? Bulletproof? Tell me what I need to know about these. I don’t wanna Lifan swap, no way."

Ok so basically I have/had the same train of thought when I bought my cub. First off when working on a cub you'll notice they are way fucking more heavy than a moped. Picking them up and setting them on a table isn't easy and I'm a big guy.

Next you're going to have to get some feeler gauges and learn to adjust valves. Not a big deal, but it must be learned and must be done. Valves out of whack will make the bike run bad and you'll chase your tail messing with the carb. Start with the valve adjustment first thing!

Also you talk about not wanting to Lifan swap, when you hit the cub Facebook groups, that's all they talk about.

I had a stuck valve and was told many times lifan swap doood! Ugh, annoying. I did fix it and it was a pita and Expensive tracking down all the n.o.s. seals, orings and such.

That being said, any transmission trouble should = a swap. And transmission issues are not unheard of on these bikes, I think even if the kickstarter gear messes up you're in for big work on those bikes.

These bikes are legendary but they're also old as fuck, I'm glad I had mine and had some fun messing with it. But ultimately it made me appreciate the simplicity of my mopeds much more!(edited)

So, I gather that I’d be okay getting this for $3-400. Cool. I’ll probably pick it up Friday. Money is a bit tight this time of year, so I only wanna make solid investments. Trying to be a fiscally responsible mopeder, if it’s even possible for the owner of 14 mopeds to be fiscally responsible.

Mopeds ≠ responsibility

I LOVE the passports. they can be tricky registration-wise depending on state.

as mentioned there's a lot of exra to learn working on them, but it's not particularly that much more difficult. Timing chain to remove the head, valve adjustments etc, and all the gears if you rebuild, it's a good in-between for learning mopeds. parts are super easily available but not as cheap as one becomes accustomed to with mopeds.

lifan swap to me is a pretty huge copout but they're fine engines. it's the lazy-man's kit for these. Most of the people, at least younger folks, riding these are coming on this wave of enthusiasm for them, they're a cool "and" bike, like they fit as an accessory if you already have a big bike - they're cheap enough and small enough you can have both. And right now theyre very trendy to build customs with in the moto-dude-blogger sphere. that said, most of those focus heavily on frame mods and big custom aesthetics, while nobody wants to fuck around tinkering with the old 45mph engine when they can drop a grand on a complete turnkey 150cc pitster pushing 15hp. From a motorcycle perspective a $600 performance engine is nothin' and it's more a showpiece than a regular commuter so how it works matters a lot less than how it reads in a write-up or showing off to pals.

i'd probably give up to 800 for that one in that condition if i really wanted it but i think 400 is a pretty fair deal. just about anywhere in the country, that thing would sit on CL for a long time at 800 bucks as is.

i'm not an expert but that looks like 80-81 to me, they have magneto ignition so they are more reliable than the early battery-points ones but not as good as the 82+ CDI models. either way clean the carb and pop in a new battery it might fire right up.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> i'd probably give up to 800 for that one in that condition if i really

> wanted it but i think 400 is a pretty fair deal. just about anywhere in

> the country, that thing would sit on CL for a long time at 800 bucks as

> is.

>

> i'm not an expert but that looks like 80-81 to me, they have magneto

> ignition so they are more reliable than the early battery-points ones

> but not as good as the 82+ CDI models. either way clean the carb and

> pop in a new battery it might fire right up.

I concur. The 82 had a different battery cover w/ a small flat head screw instead of a nice big knob.

Yes, it’s for sure a 1981.

Captain Janeway /

For $400 just snatch it up. Nice little bikes and everyone I know that has one loves it. It's actually been on my list.

Worse comes to worse, clean it a little and you could probably get more than what you paid as it. Especially if it's titled

And yeah, listen to what people are saying above about registration. Most places reg them as motorcycles so that's going to cost you more.

My buddy has an 82 in the same color! It's a great bike. His takes a lot of abuse and neglect but it's more than happy to start up when it's called upon. Toss your favorite passenger on back and go get some beers to put in that basket!

Here in CT he rides no registration no motorcycle endorsement no frigs. But our neighboring states have stricter guidelines

Captain Janeway /

> Jn Ttro Wrote:

> My buddy has an 82 in the same color! It's a great bike. His takes a lot

> of abuse and neglect but it's more than happy to start up when it's

> called upon. Toss your favorite passenger on back and go get some beers

> to put in that basket!

>

> Here in CT he rides no registration no motorcycle endorsement no frigs.

> But our neighboring states have stricter guidelines

CT seems great that way. Don't even need titles on bikes (10 years ago anyway). It drove CA DMV nuts and they wouldn't title my Urban even after showing them the CT law (morons). Finally had to contact the main state office and beg them to take my money. Gee, at that point they relented. These idiots can't handle anything outside their wheel houses.

we did the VT title on my dad's and then he took it in to the WI dmv and told them it was a moped (just out of pure ignorance), he's a white guy in his 60's so they were like 'ok whatever' and just rubber stamped it so now it has moped plates.

its nice because my mom or anyone else can ride it with out an M class license. If for no other reason, its nice to have the moped tags. Here in WI it saves you a bunch of money on insurance, reg., etc.

Overpriced Parts /

I love passing 70cc Honda’s with a stock tuned 50 cc puch Murray, pinto or magnum moped,

Overrated, overpriced much harder to work on, when riding six of my puch bikes I see in my mirror 75-90cc Honda four stroke’s but only after a few miles then they’re so way behind!

I stopped at the state park not too far away from me this summer with my 60mph 64cc Polini Maxi while he was was on a 90cc Honda ugly as sin whatever kind a apocalypse bike and he said how the heck are you’re so much faster,

I said “how many two stroke bikes have you on your life” and he said done and I said that’s why”

Knowing how to tune puch Maxis/magnums to blow away Honda's up to xl 125s though XL 175 I lived with it for a few weeks and it was a pretty cool bike!

Angry Hipster /

Ken makes a good point here, and for me I also noticed how annoying it gets shifting that cub 3 times just to get to puch speeds then when you slow down more shifting.

The low gearing of the Honda does shine when offroad, but on road I'd rather be puching.

Also those cubs tend to get hard to shift, the shift lever digs into the top of your shoe when forcefully pulling them up to upshift due to binding or something., the CT transmissions seem better.

Dirty30 Dillon /

Ken loves his 20 second video looking at an old, vibrating speedo

But if you're not in to racing about at full speed and like to enjoy the spirit of mopeding: slow and steady, take it all in, then get it and enjoy for what it is.

they have their place, i suppose this should technically get bumped over to OT. its winter so who cares.

my brother rode my dad's on 'JTT' a few years ago, wasn't at the front of the pack but did a 200 mile + weekend with a bunch of kitted mopeds and held its own no problem. You also gotta remember that old guys that ride them don't push them as hard as they can. My dad granny shifts it and only goes like 30 because he thinks the RPM's are too high at anything over 30 mph. I pretty much redline it in every single gear. Its bone stock and does just about 40, its not making much torque at those high rpms because its outside of the power band, so it will speed up a lot down hills and slow down to 35 going up a big grade, but you can climb just about anything and never dip below 35.

I had a '72 c70 a few years back that i put a pitbike carb, drilled exhaust, hopped it up a little bit, that thing went an honest 45 top speed and could climb hills doing it because it was making so much more top end torque. Someday i'd like to do a mild performance build and mill the head, cam it, big carb, obnoxious pipe... see where you could get. Most hondas from the era respond really well to 'phase 1' tweaks and derestrictions but after that they kinda plateau. When we raced the CB160/175's you could get quite a bit out of them by milling the head, retarding the cam, going to PE22 carbs, and piping them... but after that they didn't get much if any faster until you started getting crazy with big bore kits and reworked valves and stuff... the semi-hemi combustion chamber in them burns so slow that the typical cam work doesn't yield much, and Soichiro and team already had them producing pretty good power for the displacement.

Dirty30 Dillon /

The Cub is an automotive Icon. No one is buying a Cub because it is the fastest vehicle of it's displacement, or because they want to race Ken Roff.

I would buy a Cub/CT first chance I got that was reasonably priced. It's the same reason I ended up buying a Lambretta. Is it the fastest? Hell no. But it is pretty damn timeless

Bought one in ok shape last year for a couple hundo. Runs great, wheels are Rusty, chrome is pitted, legsheilds trimmed. Who cares. I can't kill it.

Also I can get new wheels, shiny bits, and legsheilds cheeeeep if I ever get around to it...

Crazy torque for 70cc, and mine has 16000 miles! Diddnt let off the gas the first time I shifted it and it nearly bucked me off, diddnt stall and kept on going. Was goin up a hill too.

Honestly I would sell it if going to pick it up wasn't the last thing me and my dad did together before he died.

Captain Janeway /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> we did the VT title on my dad's and then he took it in to the WI dmv and

> told them it was a moped (just out of pure ignorance), he's a white guy

> in his 60's so they were like 'ok whatever' and just rubber stamped it

> so now it has moped plates.

>

> its nice because my mom or anyone else can ride it with out an M class

> license. If for no other reason, its nice to have the moped tags. Here

> in WI it saves you a bunch of money on insurance, reg., etc.

I should have gone the VT route. Would have saved me money. To get a title on another bike I had to bring in a death certificate from my brother and say it was his. You have to get creative with these guys.

With my luck I'd actually get pulled over by a cop who knows how the bike should actually be registered.

also really cheap cost of ownership. once it's tidied up, there's nothing that really wears out, and with a 4 stroke you're not buying oil, and they get insane mileage.

My old cub50 i once rode just over 200miles in a day, going steady at about 40, and used barely over 1.5 gallons. It's a 0.8g tank, i left without it topped off, and I only filled it once. it'd push close to 150mpg, even at 40mph.

I put over 17000miles on it with essentially no maintenance. and even then little work kept it going, it's still ridden to this day I believe.

And it'd carry 2 people in perfect comfort. loved that thing. Once an old indian fella came out while i was pumping gas talking about how he used to ride them as a kid in india. he asked to ride it, but he just wanted to ride on the back. no helmet he hopped on and we just cruised atlanta for 20 minutes til i brought him back - he was beaming the whole time. you meet the nicest people...

I didn’t get to it in time. I’m surprised, because it’s been for sale for a while. I didn’t really want it anyway. If I’m gonna have a four stroke, I’d rather it be a ct.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account