What gas you runnin?

ScreenShot2019-12-01at1.04.45PM.png

Just wanted to know generally what people are running and why. I used ethanol free 89 octane mixed with either vpracing full synthetic 2 stroke or super tech full synthetic 2 stroke at 50:1. I think the ethanol free is good for 2 stoke engines along with premix due to a disabled oil pump on my honda express. Anyone else run ethanol free or do you run 93 octane for better performance? Also anyone use supertech oil (walmart brand), it's really cheap but works fine?

Re: What gas you runnin?

Oil is not that important on a stock engine, everything made today is better than what was available when these bikes were new, I use the ethanol free gasoline as well, though they will run fine on regular.

Re: What gas you runnin?

Terbo Speghetti /

Yeah, you can prob run 87 pump gas and gas station oil in there.

Re: What gas you runnin?

People can do a lot of things but should they? My only reason for running ethanol free is to keep the gas from varnishing and to keep my seals good. I do ride daily though. Gas stations have pretty good oil usually pennzoil or lucas from what I've seen

Re: What gas you runnin?

noah adelstein /

Top fuel only

Re: What gas you runnin?

Chöschi21 C.K. /

> Matt Spad Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> >

> Just wanted to know generally what people are running

Yes.

Re: What gas you runnin?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’ve used regular 87 octane for the last 20 years without issue.

Re: What gas you runnin?

On my more modern mopeds I run whatever comes out of the gas pump at the station with the premix ratio recommended my the manufacturer. Racing and oldies I run bean oil. Not worried about alky in the gas but you can crack it in your jerry can with a litre of water and just decant the fuel from above the waterline.

Re: What gas you runnin?

93 all day, but I’ve heard that if you’re fueling up under 1gal you’re probably just getting whatever was left in the line from the last person.

Re: What gas you runnin?

^ only on pumps that have only one hose for all grades.

Re: What gas you runnin?

I have a lot of bikes so I always run non-eth usually 89 octane. Because some bikes sit for a while. I am a gas snob. If I fill up on an ride with regular gas ill dump the tank when I get home. Just because regular 10% eth gas will break down in a short time. If I’m feeling fancy I’ll go to the airport and get 115LL. Most 2stroke oils are decent now a days but I refuse to run Itaska or however you spell it. The green bottle at the gas station. That stuff leaves so much carbon build up.

Re: What gas you runnin?

Won't avgas damage your engine? I can get it but whats the advantage?

Re: What gas you runnin?

ScreenShot2019-12-01at5.37.52PM.png

Re: What gas you runnin?

Just for fun. It is better than pump gas. Only a couple of my bikes have high enough compression to make a difference. But every ride smells like a day at the track. It is honestly just a waist of money for 99% of mopeds.

Re: What gas you runnin?

Overpriced Parts /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ^ only on pumps that have only one hose for all grades.

Which is at every gas station that I go to but from what I understand is it only a half gallon of gas left in hose but still I just put some regular 87 in the car and then fill up the can for my bikes with regular 87 so it’s always 87 supposedly,

Use to have my bikes set up to run 93 octane but past few years they’re all set up for 87 octane with very minimal jetting changes if any and hardly noticeable difference in speed on kitted and stock modified bikes,

Re: What gas you runnin?

92 octane and 40:1 yamalube 2r on every 2 stroke I own. Sometimes it even goes in the lawnmower

Re: What gas you runnin?

I always use rec gas which is ethanol free. I believe 89 octane. Too many issues with corrosion from alcohol.

Re: What gas you runnin?

Matt, you've got the right idea on gas, but increase the oil ratio to 40:1 and yer crank bearings and rod bearings will last forever.

Re: What gas you runnin?

High octane fuel has less energy per volume than lower octane fuel. The benefit of higher octane fuel is that it is more stable and is less prone to pre-ignition (pinging) when used in engines with high compression ratios, high intake pressures (super/turbo charging) or with advanced timing settings. For stock engines, there is apt to be better performance with a good quality regular (88-89 octane) than with premium (92-93).

I'm aware that in some areas premium gas is ethanol free and in that case I would suspect that the premium would be a better bet, but only because it isn't diluted with ethanol.

Re: What gas you runnin?

I use the ethanol free, because my bikes get stored and I don't ride anywhere near as much as I used to, the reg stuff was cool when I burned a tank a week or so, but ethanol free is way better if the bike will sit for any length of time, my ethanol free is 89 octane I think. I mix at 32:1 in everything that is not oil injected.

Re: What gas you runnin?

> Larry Baltz Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> High octane fuel has less energy per volume than lower octane fuel.

no, that's not true.

Re: What gas you runnin?

Tl;dr so sick you used a dr foo screenshot for this thread avatar

I knew Martin was into mopeds

Re: What gas you runnin?

Gas topics are dumb. Just use whatever, it's just mopeds.

Re: What gas you runnin?

> LSLB Lou Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Tl;dr so sick you used a dr foo screenshot for this thread avatar

>

> I knew Martin was into mopeds

My brother josh...(edited)

Re: What gas you runnin?

Not trying to be a dr foo myself here but....

does anyone actually have any proof of the theory that the different octanes get contaminated on a single nozzle pump? I mean I believe it, but I also live in CA. There are a lot reclamation devices for fumes and spillage built into the nozzles. As well as, the fact that amounts and quality are measured periodically by County weights and measures board. I've seen them shut down pumps before and every pump on every grade has a sticker that says it has been inspected recently. I feel like if stations are not able to guarantee that the gas going in to someones Audi, BMW, etc is of a higher octane it would open them up to litigation and they'd have to at least put a disclaimer on the pumps.

also

I run 93 or 91 (whatever the highest available is) in all my bikes the aren't stock.

Re: What gas you runnin?

I mean it makes sense that some would stay in the line, but I've heard people say up to gallon comes out of whatever it was before. That I don't believe, it's kinda like how people say you eat 6 spiders a year while sleeping. Once one person said it, it spread like wildfire. Maybe .1 gallon imo.

Re: What gas you runnin?

> Matt Spad Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I mean it makes sense that some would stay in the line, but I've heard

> people say up to gallon comes out of whatever it was before. That I

> don't believe, it's kinda like how people say you eat 6 spiders a year

> while sleeping. Once one person said it, it spread like wildfire. Maybe

> .1 gallon imo.

Think about where the change valve is in relation to the nozzle .

That could easily hold a gallon .

Re: What gas you runnin?

It's actually not in the line. It's in the mixing manifold within the pump itself...most stations don't carry middle grade, they just mix 87 & 93 in the pump itself.

Re: What gas you runnin?

> Aaron Blair Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It's actually not in the line. It's in the mixing manifold within the

> pump itself...most stations don't carry middle grade, they just mix 87 &

> 93 in the pump itself.

What isn't in the line ?

Re: What gas you runnin?

I've been using aviation gas which has lead. I posted a "white" plug elsewhere. My buddy Jerry and I gonthe the airport for it. Supposedly to keep the rubber from ethanol attack. Really unsure of the efficacy.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account