1977 garelli gran sport handlebar stem removal

Ryan Adair /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Hello all, well I got this Garelli running well after 3 years of sitting so I went to take it for a spin and the handlebar snapped right off. I got the grips, throttle and levers off, but I can not get the handlebar stem out. I loosened the nut and pounded out a wedge looking nut. It is not a quill stem, like the puchs have, but it did have a round wedge nut that wedges the stem in place. I hit it with some penetrating oil and beat the hell out of it with a hammer. I also tried to loosen the large nut on top of the forks where the stem goes in. And that won't budge eather. I tried pounding and twisting, but it is seized in and the handlebars are acting like they want to snap at the top of the stem. Am I missing something? How do I get them off?

15750465142283608199591709503476.jpg
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account