1977 garelli gran sport handlebar stem removal

Hello all, well I got this Garelli running well after 3 years of sitting so I went to take it for a spin and the handlebar snapped right off. I got the grips, throttle and levers off, but I can not get the handlebar stem out. I loosened the nut and pounded out a wedge looking nut. It is not a quill stem, like the puchs have, but it did have a round wedge nut that wedges the stem in place. I hit it with some penetrating oil and beat the hell out of it with a hammer. I also tried to loosen the large nut on top of the forks where the stem goes in. And that won't budge eather. I tried pounding and twisting, but it is seized in and the handlebars are acting like they want to snap at the top of the stem. Am I missing something? How do I get them off?

15750465142283608199591709503476.jpg

Re: 1977 garelli gran sport handlebar stem removal

whats the replacement look like? id just stick a small tubing inside and weld it back.

It is a quill mount. The other half of wedge is still binding bars to inside of steering neck tube. Loosen the large top nut above the white triple clamp in your pic. Unthread and slide upwards to reveal gap to spray more penetrating oil all the way around. Usually what I do when taking these apart is loosen the center bolt you removed a few turns then promptly smack the head with a hammer to unwedge before removing the entire assembly with bars as a unit.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Usually what I do when

> taking these apart is loosen the center bolt you removed a few turns

> then promptly smack the head with a hammer to unwedge before removing

> the entire assembly with bars as a unit.

This is how you do it

Try to get the center bolt in pretty tight so its grabbing the clamp on the inside. (But still loose enough to get it loose when you're whacking it.

Here is a pic of what you're working with. If you have BOTTOM WEDGE out then the quill stem of bars is seized to steering tube. If thats the case, then put a large pipe wrench on remains of bars at top and twist back and forth. Bars are already junk and you're just trying to get them out to move forward.

moped-army-585a059d013ba81ed030c85ededd1719.jpg

(edited)

After you get this apart you should upgrade to the later style top triple clamp, bars and bar clamp. Then you will be able to run other bars like a set of Puch mag bars.

20171214_130051.jpg
20161111_165728.jpg

(edited)

I think I may have a later style top triple clamp in yellow that Mopedlar gave me last year. I would need to dig it out to ascertain its condition. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account