How to wire your brake light for LEDs

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Hey gang,

So I spent the afternoon fooling around with some components and I found that if you wire the Brake and tail light with a 5 amp diode and a 1000uf 25v cap the lights stay nice and bright, no flickering (Diode converts AC to DC) and lights don’t sizzle at High RPMs. I’ve been running the 6v treats regulator with this setup

too.

So here’s how it goes

Positive from taillight> Diode > Capacitor Positive> Bulb. Then ground the capacitor!

This works for both Taillight and Brake light and allows you to use your favorite old stock bosch magneto.

Here is my not so pretty final product:

068F68D0-1A88-49DE-9FD9-1E193D08C588.jpeg
6D54C2F8-DC29-492D-A91F-02F83D2CF10A.jpeg

You HAVE to silicon/hot

glue the components or else they WILL vibrate and snap. Especially on a kitted maxi breaking 50mph.

Hope this helps!

Re: How to wire your brake light for LEDs

Nice guide, but I highly recommend using a full bridge rectifier circuit instead of just a single diode. You’re still getting a rather nasty half wave with a single diode, but another couple diodes will help give you that silky smooth DC and keep your LED’s living for a bit longer.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Nice! they’ve held up for the last few long rides fine, I haven’t had the setup in for long. if I blow any I will add 3 more

diodes to each light

> Dan (high idle) Conway Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nice! they’ve held up for the last few long rides fine, I haven’t had

> the setup in for long. if I blow any I will add 3 more

>

> diodes to each light

Yeah you’ll probably be fine, generally you won’t notice a huge difference but for the purpose of longevity I’d recommend it. Why haven’t you done this for the headlight btw?

Dan (high idle) Conway /

Cool, to be honest the headlight is the OEM one and I have no reason to change it it’s pretty bright at 8-10k hahaha Been running it for months and no issues

What lights are you running Lumens for the brake and tail light?

Dan (high idle) Conway /

I’m away in the woods rn haha i’ll be back at my house tomorrow to check the specs on the lights. I can say they are extremely bright day and night.

I wired in 3 more 5 amp diodes tonight inline on each circuit and half *ss wired it in there and assembled it. Went for a little ride and came back to find the LEDs still bright.

Imagine this... the running light ACTUALLY IS VISABLE in the day time!

> Guthrie Mass Wrote:

> Nice guide, but I highly recommend using a full bridge rectifier circuit

> instead of just a single diode. You’re still getting a rather nasty half

> wave with a single diode, but another couple diodes will help give you

> that silky smooth DC and keep your LED’s living for a bit longer.

good job, I would use cob leds and a higher rated cap. I'm sure for the same price you could have got 10,000mfd. Guthrie mass is clueless. 1 diode is enough. nothing wrong with running half wave led. it is a modern conversion. fyi, the higher the cap is rated the smoother the dc output. adding more diodes is a dumb ass idea.

Hello

I have a 1988 Motomarina Sebring. I'm trying to wire up a vertical fixation LED tail/brake light. I've been scanning the forums with not much luck.

Any experience with this, tips or hack greatly appreciated ..... Thanks

Wire colors on bike

- Grey

-Green

-Yellow

Wire colors on light

-Black

-Yellow

-Blue

you are not looking at the problem correctly. leds need regulated 12v dc voltage. the cap works as a battery. wire colors are meaningless.

Ok thanks , understood

Just wondering if anyone had experience with this particular bike.

So essentially would have to run a diode and capacitor inline to both tail and brake on LED? Trying to understand the wiring side

Thanks

understanding starts with reading the original post where the poster says he runs the diode in series and the cap gets wired to ground.

> el pollo Wrote:

> understanding starts with reading the original post where the poster

> says he runs the diode in series and the cap gets wired to ground.

Dude, your condescending attitude is not helpful, Phil clearly is asking for help with the wiring, and while to many this may seem like an easy process it may not be for everyone, so it’s just discouraging to speak to him with a “just figure it out” tone. How about instead of using terminology that he may not understand, you provide a little sketch or something.

> PHIL R Wrote:

> Hello

>

> I have a 1988 Motomarina Sebring. I'm trying to wire up a vertical

> fixation LED tail/brake light. I've been scanning the forums with not

> much luck.

>

> Any experience with this, tips or hack greatly appreciated ..... Thanks

>

> Wire colors on bike

>

> - Grey

>

> -Green

>

> -Yellow

>

> Wire colors on light

>

> -Black

>

> -Yellow

>

> -Blue

While El pollo didn’t say it very nicely, he is right that wire color isn’t really relevant to the theory behind the circuit. For your specific bike, after a very brief google search for the wiring diagram I found a very poor quality scan, so I’d continue looking, or if you have an original manual reference that.

However, from the diagram it appears that the grey wire from the stator is the ground shared by the running and brake light, while the yellow wire is 6v for the running light, and green is the 6v for brake bulb.

With that, I’ll hand your dilemma off to Dan, who can help straighten you out ;).

Good luck.

[attachment 211551] Hi Guthrie

Thanks for your response and help. I believe you are correct with the color destinations. I've attached a little sketch ..... Is this the idea for connection?

Thanks for the help

led brake mod.JPG

> PHIL R Wrote:

> Hi Guthrie

>

> Thanks for your response and help. I believe you are correct with the

> color destinations. I've attached a little sketch ..... Is this the

> idea for connection?

>

> Thanks for the help

According to Dan’s original post, that would be correct. I neglected to mention that the 6v AC probably wouldn’t be enough after it’s rectified for 12V LED’s, so you’d need a regulator to step up the voltage in a similar fashion that the OP did. I recommend testing with a cheap light instead of the final setup, just in case that wiring diagram I referenced was incorrect.

Thanks for info

Can you elaborate on "similar fashion OP did" or where I can see this

Thanks

> PHIL R Wrote:

> Thanks for info

>

> Can you elaborate on "similar fashion OP did" or where I can see this

>

> Thanks

The OP (original poster in internet speak) mentioned he was using a 6v regulator from treats. Basically, just make sure that your LED’s are rated for the voltage being put out by your regulator, and that you’re even using a regulator for that matter.

Guthrie Mass has no idea. why would you ask someone who is clueless. he does not understand these conversions. you can tell by his troll posts. what the fuck is wrong with the moped army. I post solutions and explain why and how, all these posts are trolled. this jerkoff gets a pass. I think you should go with his wiring solution and skip mine. for the rest of the ma read and learn.

first lets explain what the cap does and how to order one. the cap shorts ac to ground and stores elecrticity like a battery. it has two functions. how do you order a cap? unlike a battery that runs at a fixed voltage, a cap will run at any voltage set at the regulator. a 24v cap will run 6v or 12v. it wont work at 25v because it is beyond its specs. when you design circuits you want the specs to be double the actual voltge, 24v is good for a moped. the other rating is how much energy you can store in a cap. think of it like amp hours in a regular battery. lets say you are in walmart and need a new car battery. all of them are 12v so the only rating you look at is the cold cranking amps. this is like the uf , mfd rating on a cap. say your manual says the cca of your car battery is 650 minuim. lets also say they also have an 850 cca battery for the same price. everyone would go for the bigger battery. 10,000uf costs the same as 1,000uf. you always want to shop for the highest rated part. thats why I always say run 63v 22,000uf. its price is cheaper than other caps becuse it is a popular audio part.

there is never a good reason to put the cap in the tail light. the cap should be attached to the frame then you run the + wire to the tail light. do not glue caps into tail lights because it is stupid.

Guthrie Mass has no idea what he is doing. How can you design electroncs with out knowing why or how. If he would read my posts insteaed of trolling them he would know the answer. I've said it so many times. to run 12v leds on a 6v bike you need to do a conversion. this conversion only comes two ways. full wave or half wave. all these moped conversions use the same two conversions. when you have a ground wire and it is attached to the other wires and not to ground you need a full wave r/r. you use the ground and head light and the tap is n/c.(edited)

thanks for the explanation.....

Thought is to make a adapter in between factory harness and LED with a full wave bridge inline for each circuit. Thanks for info on capacitors, I'll source the lager capacity. What's the thought on Diodes? Specs?

Also what's your thoughts on wiring ? With 4WB there are diodes on both positives and negative side. What is correct direction foe each?

Also.... With 6V regulator? Where do you typically splice and mount?

Appreciate the help....

thanks

current_flow_in_bridge_rectifier_1.jpg

ok, lets take a few steps way back. you have to understand the conversion before you make it. why are so many mopeds made before '80 wired in a screwed up way. there are two reasons, the law and physics. motorcycles need to run the tail light when the vehicle stalls out for at least 20 minutes. regulators of the day were lame before the transistors. thats why all these wiring diagrams are the same. full wave ac headlight, half wave dc tap to a battery then to the tail light.

all these conversions are the same because there are actually only two conversions depending how the lighting stator is wired.why? because there are only two r/r's half wave and full wave. the stator that needs a full wave conversion is like the posters. three wires coming out of the stator yellow, green, black, headlight, tap for tail light, ground makes for an easy full wave conversion. the other stator has two wires but the ground is internal. because of how its wired you have to run a half wave r/r.

there is some theory to know. its a simple rule. stator coils are added in series. the tech lingo is single phase. thats why nobody uses the tap when doing these conversions. the yellow and green are already in series. nothing to know except all the power runs through the headlight wire when the tap is n/c. this wire is unused in either conversion.

lets review the power out of the two different conversions:

full wave=full power. three stator wires. yellow,green,grey. the original power ouput is yellow+1/2xgreen. after the conversion the power at the yellow wire is yellow+green. this is more power than stock and easily regulated with todays transistors. no led's needed even with a 6v to 12v conversion.

half wave=1/2 power. two wires yellow,green. total power output before the conversion yellow+1/2green. after the conversion, 1/2yellow+1/2 green. yes its a big loss of power. why do a conversion that has almost half the power than stock? because todays led's use approx 1/8 the power than the stock lights. won't work with stock bulbs but led's will work fine.

wiring is simple everything now runs off the r/r + terminal. the cap goes between + and ground. keep the battery and skip the cap if you want.

nice diagram but I'll win this pissing contest! just like Donald trump I went to the Russians for trade secret diagrams.(edited)

Dan (high idle) Conway /

I appreciate the feedback everyone, it is worth noting that I chose a 25v cap because my magneto puts out a little under 17v at max rpm.

The Full wave rectification was indeed a good idea and did smooth out the leds, especially at idle. I ordered too many diodes for the project, so I figured they should be put to use anyways.

I would try a higher rated cap but I see no reason to as the lights are perfectly smooth and bright with this setup.

Cheers

> Dan (high idle) Conway Wrote:

> I appreciate the feedback everyone, it is worth noting that I chose a

> 25v cap because my magneto puts out a little under 17v at max rpm.

if you want parts to last you want to order them with specs at least double of what you are running. 34v or higher will last forever,

>

> The Full wave rectification was indeed a good idea and did smooth out

> the leds, especially at idle. I ordered too many diodes for the project,

> so I figured they should be put to use anyways.

?????????? you need a regulator to run leds. yes I know they are bright as hell at 17v unregulated. they won't last long. the led bulb that lasts 10,000 hours on regulated 12v will not last at 17v unregulated for long.

>

> I would try a higher rated cap but I see no reason to as the lights are

> perfectly smooth and bright with this setup.

but they last forever with the right parts.

>

> Cheers

> el pollo Wrote:

> > Dan (high idle) Conway Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I appreciate the feedback everyone, it is worth noting that I chose a

>

> > 25v cap because my magneto puts out a little under 17v at max rpm.

>

> if you want parts to last you want to order them with specs at least

> double of what you are running. 34v or higher will last forever,

>

> >

>

> > The Full wave rectification was indeed a good idea and did smooth out

>

> > the leds, especially at idle. I ordered too many diodes for the

> project,

>

> > so I figured they should be put to use anyways.

>

> ?????????? you need a regulator to run leds. yes I know they are bright

> as hell at 17v unregulated. they won't last long. the led bulb that

> lasts 10,000 hours on regulated 12v will not last at 17v unregulated for

> long.

>

> >

>

> > I would try a higher rated cap but I see no reason to as the lights

> are

>

> > perfectly smooth and bright with this setup.

>

> but they last forever with the right parts.

>

> >

>

> > Cheers

He said he was using a 6v regulator in his post.

if he says he is using a 6v r/r then why the diode?

> Guthrie Mass Wrote:

> > el pollo Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > Dan (high idle) Conway Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > I appreciate the feedback everyone, it is worth noting that I chose

> a

>

> >

>

> > > 25v cap because my magneto puts out a little under 17v at max rpm.

>

> >

>

> > if you want parts to last you want to order them with specs at least

>

> > double of what you are running. 34v or higher will last forever,

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > The Full wave rectification was indeed a good idea and did smooth

> out

>

> >

>

> > > the leds, especially at idle. I ordered too many diodes for the

>

> > project,

>

> >

>

> > > so I figured they should be put to use anyways.

>

> >

>

> > ?????????? you need a regulator to run leds. yes I know they are

> bright

>

> > as hell at 17v unregulated. they won't last long. the led bulb that

>

> > lasts 10,000 hours on regulated 12v will not last at 17v unregulated

> for

>

> > long.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > I would try a higher rated cap but I see no reason to as the lights

>

> > are

>

> >

>

> > > perfectly smooth and bright with this setup.

>

> >

>

> > but they last forever with the right parts.

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > Cheers

>

> He said he was using a 6v regulator in his post.

He doesn't own or work on 6v mopeds^^(edited)

live evil you mother fucker. what does your bullshit troll post have anything to do with diodes. I asked a question answer it. I've done many 6v conversions asshole.(edited)

> el pollo Wrote:

> live evil you mother fucker. what does your bullshit troll post have

> anything to do with diodes. I asked a question answer it. I've done

> many 6v conversions asshole.

I love you too brother. So much love....

The only pics you've ever posted is of some old 70s twin honda motorcycle sitting in the projects.(edited)

deflect and troll, that's all you get from live evil. notice he did not answer my question. he did answer with bullshit.

I see where this is going. absolutly nowhere. the op did a few stupid things. if he is using 6v leds and a 6v r/r off the tap no diodes are needed because they are already in the r/r see pic. all he needed was a bigger cap not glued into the tail light.

ok, so lets answer your questions and finish the pissing contest. I would not keep 6v because all the chepo auto cob leds and chepo turn signal led flashers are 12v. I would do a conversion to 12v. as far as diodes I only use 1w switching diodes for the turn signal indicator. to do a conversion I would do it this way. let me present to you the top secret internal workings of the gy6 scoot full wave r/r. the half wave r/r is exactly the same part except the wire between 8 and the rectifier is not connected. I would do it this way at 12v because chepo led's won't last without regulation. the mount is simple because this r/r is electrically isolated from the frame. I mount the thing anywhere I can hide it to metal near the battery box to help the heat sink. the cap also gets strapped anywhere near the battey box. its tiny. I use the battery box to carry 2t oil. both r/r's get spliced to the headlight stator output with the tap n/c.

> el pollo Wrote:

> ?????????? you need a regulator to run leds. yes I know they are bright

> as hell at 17v unregulated. they won't last long. the led bulb that

> lasts 10,000 hours on regulated 12v will not last at 17v unregulated for

> long.

most "bulb" led assemblies can take a range of voltage, and state as much on their descriptions.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account