Front fork play & Rear Wheel Alignment

Didn’t want to make two different threads, so here’s two problems in one.

1.) Front fork play. When I hold the wheel between my legs and twist the handlebars, the forks have a LOT of play in them. It’s really only an issue in one direction, so I don’t know what’s going on. I recently rebuilt the forks, so is it a possibility that an assembly error could cause them to have more play in one direction than in another? The bridge bolts are tight, the wheel bearings are good, and the axle nuts are secure. I also made sure to snug down the brace, but it really doesn’t seem to help much, the twisting is quite severe. This is a ‘78 puch maxi sport mk2 btw.

2.) My rear tire is rubbing on the fender. Either the fender is bent, the wheel isn’t properly aligned, or everything is skewed to the right. Viewing from behind, both shocks seem to be a little like this shape: \ \, not that severe but a very slight skew rather than even, and I can’t figure out how to center em up. The fender also has way more room on the left side than the right, and when my weight is on the suspension the tire rubs. The wheel looks aligned, and whenever I try and adjust it to have proper clearance, the inner end of the tire rubs the swing arm. I attached some pictures. Note the rack is also kind of bent, I wonder if that’s what’s pulling the shocks.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Re: Front fork play & Rear Wheel Alignment

I figured out the fork issue. Brace wasn’t properly affixed with the right bolt, so it was moving a little bit allowing that play.

The fender is being cold set right now, so hopefully it’ll bend a bit into place. There’s probably a bit more chain adjustment to do.

I would be checking to see if the swing arm is bent.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I would be checking to see if the swing arm is bent.

I thought about that, I’ll check.

;’( don’t wanna replace my swing arm so fingers crossed.

It can be difficult to tell unless removed. js

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account