The street legal E-Motorbike option

Pete *YouTube: Moped Problems* /
MOTOpromotion.png

We have spent a full year designing and prototyping... now we are ready for production.

Visit our Indiegogo page to help us support the dream. You don't have to commit to a bike to help... We have T-shirts for sale (and other perks), exclusively on the Indiegogo page: Indiegogo page

And if you havn't seen the progress yet, its on our YouTube page. Any video from the last 365 days will have chunks of the progress: Moped Problems YouTube channel

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

Rand Jacobson /

I thought you went bankrupt?

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

Pete *YouTube: Moped Problems* /

You must be thinking of something else... We are opening a new retail location in Brooklyn NY and creating a completely new production facility in FL.

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

congrats dudes! that fucking rules! way to use existing parts too. And as always great video.

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

are there no pedals? Obvioulsy you've thought that thru and sure someone else woulda asked, but doesnt that affect registration reqs too? I know here in OH it does.

Also, I just saw Monday came out with a new stepthru design. e-shit's gettin really real

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

Benjamin The Wandering Pacer /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> are there no pedals? Obvioulsy you've thought that thru and sure someone

> else woulda asked, but doesnt that affect registration reqs too? I know

> here in OH it does.

>

> Also, I just saw Monday came out with a new stepthru design. e-shit's

> gettin really real

Pedals also matter in Nebraska for mopeds. I think these things would be in a grey area here. They technically wouldn't fall into ebikes or mopeds. I think Nebraska would need to come up with a new law for these. Or adjust the ones we have. But that would be scary though because we wouldn't want to loose what we have already.

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

That is cool, is the 40mph top speed accessible through an "off road" mode switch, as in MN to qualify as a moped 30mph is "max" speed, other wise would need a motorcycle plate, not that there's anything wrong with that...

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

Beach Club Nick /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> are there no pedals? Obvioulsy you've thought that thru and sure someone

> else woulda asked, but doesnt that affect registration reqs too? I know

> here in OH it does.

>

> Also, I just saw Monday came out with a new stepthru design. e-shit's

> gettin really real

Under Ohio laws it's not legal anyways since it goes faster than 20 mph

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

^ wouldn't it just be a motorcycle in Ohio, (as it would in MN)?

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

Good luck folk! We should meet up, you're about an hour from our test lab!

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

Pete, cool stuff. Where in Florida will your production facility be located? would be great if you could take one of your e-bikes to the Tampa rally in February for everyone to check out.

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

does it have a vin and title and stuff too? can I register it as a motorcycle?

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

Beach Club Nick /

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> ^ wouldn't it just be a motorcycle in Ohio, (as it would in MN)?

Yep, assuming it has a VIN and title and maybe like a manufacturers certificate of origin or something.

Edit: just saw Will's response (edited)

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

Canada and USA's various jurisdictions are all mish-mash with laws but most are <750w and speeds of 20-25-30mph for a electric powered moped (or bike or scooter or whatever they want to call it).

Seems a lot of places they are just DUI mobiles because no drivers license needed...

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

In MN 20mph&pedals=e-bike, no dl, plate or ins, 30 you really "should" register it as a moped, but with pedals and bicycle frame the cops will leave you be, they don't know/care about the difference, anything over 30 they are going to be on you, especially if no pedals...looks like a moped/motorcycle. Just register the damn thing already,pay the $13.00 a year lol.

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

Pete *YouTube: Moped Problems* /

Thanks Will, I am excited to get started.

This model will have to be sans pedals, considering the top speed, States like OH wouldn't consider it a moped anyways. I am considering a 48v version with pedals that would be great for OH and NJ. Next phase.

That being said, this current model can be restricted down to 30 mph, for States that require it.

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

Pete *YouTube: Moped Problems* /

We have it setup with a 3 speed switch on the bars, where you can limit your top speed on the fly. ranges from 30, 35 and 40 mph. But, for the States that need a max speed of 30... we have an internal restriction (we can setup ahead of time) that will drop this range to 20, 25, 30 mph.

I have requests for faster speeds for "off roadin" or "sport mode" This is totally possible with a "kit"... After market upgrades. Larger voltage battery and controller.

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

Cost? I could really get into one of these if those specs are the real deal.

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

The Indiegogo page to purchase one that does not exist yet is $3725cad (26% 0ff the $5055 regular price) or $4257 (15% 0ff the $5055 regular price)...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/moto-electric-motorbike-built-by-moped-experts#/

Either is way too much $ for something that "The project team has not yet produced a working demo for their concept. Their ability to successfully produce a prototype may be affected by product development or financial challenges."

If they dont find enough presales then it will not happen, claiming they need 150 bikes to go in production but have parts to build 40... but no prototype yet...

Either their Indiegogo page needs updating or this does not sound like a good investment... and $5k is a too much for what you get in my opinion.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Cost? I could really get into one of these if those specs are the real

> deal.

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

^ for sure, I don't get into this kickstart stuff, and would not pay 5k for that bike even if it was on a showroom floor. I do like it, but that price makes no sense for the people who would actually use it. I have not spent even close to that on mopeds in 20 yrs! I could get a fleet of peds and a van to haul them and still have money left over from 5k. :)

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

I am thinking the gentrification of mopeds to a 5k$ electric assisted pedal bike only seems to be a reasonable price if your latte comes in Grande, Venti or Trenta sizes for 15$ and up...

...dont know how you are going to fit a helmet on your manbun for riding to Whole Foods to get your 5$ a piece organic ethically-sourced lemons for your ayurvedic suppertime meal: hope the Uber Eats driver has a electric vehicle...

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

for real tho, it's pricey but it's less than the Onyx RCR.

> Rebel Moby Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I am thinking the gentrification of mopeds to a 5k$ electric assisted

> pedal bike only seems to be a reasonable price if your latte comes in

> Grande, Venti or Trenta sizes for 15$ and up...

>

> ...dont know how you are going to fit a helmet on your manbun for riding

> to Whole Foods to get your 5$ a piece organic ethically-sourced lemons

> for your ayurvedic suppertime meal: hope the Uber Eats driver has a

> electric vehicle...

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

I love the coaster ability, I hate the feel of electric bikes "engine brake" when you let off the throttle

And the pedal rule no longer exists in Ohio, ya technically you'd be lying when you sign the "it only goes 20mph" thing, but c'mon who on here that lives in Ohio doesnt have a kitted bike with a plate? Or even a stock 1.5 or 2 HP model?

Im interested in these for sure, I too would like to see pedals, but thats just what I prefer, its not a deal breaker.

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

> Joey P Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/426145178747666434/647930166642737192/186_2.jpg

>

> for real tho, it's pricey but it's less than the Onyx RCR.

>

> > Rebel Moby Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I am thinking the gentrification of mopeds to a 5k$ electric assisted

>

> > pedal bike only seems to be a reasonable price if your latte comes in

>

> > Grande, Venti or Trenta sizes for 15$ and up...

>

> >

>

> > ...dont know how you are going to fit a helmet on your manbun for

> riding

>

> > to Whole Foods to get your 5$ a piece organic ethically-sourced lemons

>

> > for your ayurvedic suppertime meal: hope the Uber Eats driver has a

>

> > electric vehicle...

Onyx is only $3,700 these days.

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

48 volts is enough to make you go a solid 60 mph

That's without any gearing

Miss me with other voltages

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

> Pete Daddeo *YouTube: Moped Problems* Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> We have it setup with a 3 speed switch on the bars, where you can limit

> your top speed on the fly. ranges from 30, 35 and 40 mph. But, for the

> States that need a max speed of 30... we have an internal restriction

> (we can setup ahead of time) that will drop this range to 20, 25, 30

> mph.

>

> I have requests for faster speeds for "off roadin" or "sport mode" This

> is totally possible with a "kit"... After market upgrades. Larger

> voltage battery and controller.

that's awesome. this thing's awesome.

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

> Maitland Of the Loin Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> 48 volts is enough to make you go a solid 60 mph

>

> That's without any gearing

>

> Miss me with other voltages

You have peeked my interest. Why avoid the higher voltages? I'm pretty ebike ignorant but I am very very interested in possibly building my own! Just curious what the downside to higher voltages are.

Re: The street legal E-Motorbike option

I think he’s just fucking around.

To answer your question, we must do some super basic electrical math. Imagine you want a roughly 5 horsepower equivalent electric drive train, which would need to draw about 3700W constant to get that kind of power. Let’s just round that to 4000W or 4kW, about 2kW less than the most expensive Onyx IIRC.

Anyhow, Wattage is dead simple, volts x amps. So with this equation, our wattage, and a little bit of imagination we can easily find different current draws for different voltages. This is important for a few reasons, including power loss over distances (literal entropy given different lengths of cable), wire gauge, heat, and current limits to name a few. So a 48V power delivery system such as a battery, in order to constantly supply 4000W of power, would need to be capable of delivering 83 amps! That’s a LOT of power, enough to easily create a nasty spark, melt certain metals, and obviously, kill you. It will also require thicker wire, larger fuses, and heavier duty motor controllers with higher amperage rated MOSFETS. But now let’s imagine we use 72V, something a bit more common for electric motorcycle type applications. This would only require a constant current draw of 55A. With this, we’re already looking at slightly thinner wire (albeit more insulated given the higher voltage), and something that’s more battery friendly. In my opinion, that last part is the most important.

Lithium Ion batteries, like every battery, can only deliver so much power at once. Generally speaking this in a C rating, or can be found in a certain cells data sheet. Some cells just can’t crank out that much current. So to use more cells, and wire them up in series to get a higher voltage will mean less of a demand on each cell to deliver high currents.

I’ll conclude this long response with a note on safety. Higher voltages are generally more dangerous than lower ones. You’ll hear a lot of old men say “it’s the current that kills!” And while that’s not really wrong, it’s not right either. That current needs a high enough voltage to actually have an effect on someone. A 12V car battery can easily crank over your engine, heat up a wrench, and definitely exceeds the current threshold required to stop your heart. So why doesn’t it? The answer is simple; the voltage isn’t high enough to get through your skins resistance. If your hand was wet, and salty, you could very well be in trouble, but normal, dry skin won’t be able to let 12V in. The same principle applies here. You may be able to feel 48V DC, you’ll definitely be able to feel 72V DC, but one is significantly more risky to handle. Wet, conductive hands could, at best, make 48V DC allow as much current through you as 72V DC would with dry hands, and likewise the same is true so on and so forth. This is why I mentioned higher voltage needing more insulation, but generally not as thick of wire.

Personally, I think running at a higher voltage is better in these applications. You’re at risk either way, but good safety procedures will help tremendously. Do what makes sense for your application, and just be careful.

If you have anymore questions or need any help, feel free to DM me, I’ve done a fair bit of work with electric vehicles in the past.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account