Oversized Cotter pin stuck!

Yeah yeah, have your chuckle. I accidentally ordered and attempted to install too large of a cotter pin on my Puch Maxi. Now it’s in there REAL good about half way, and I cannot for the life of me get it out. I’ve tried vice grips, hammering the other end with a punch, and nothing will remove it. I’m pretty salty cause the threads are now wrecked and it’s the wrong size anyway, so I’ll have to get a new one.

Anyone ever been in a situation like this? Any advice besides just hammering it out?

I did think for a moment and still am thinking that it may be ok just riding it like it is. It’s pretty secure (secure enough to make it a nightmare for me to pull out), and if it does come out, no biggie. I’ll get a new one and go on my merry way. I somewhat worry it’s a safety hazard but I’m really unsure how to approach this.

Attached is an image of it.

92E90ADC-60CD-43A0-85B3-00009121A7D9.jpeg

Re: Oversized Cotter pin stuck!

run it

Just use it, pedals are dumb anyway.

Ive always used a round punch and large hammer. Btw, thats not a cotter pin.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Ive always used a round punch and large hammer. Btw, thats not a cotter

> pin.

I know, but that’s what the majority of people (including sellers) refer to it as. If I said “pedal arm retaining pin” it would be a tad more ambiguous.

Turn the pin straight up and down ..use a socket close to the size of the pin that will let the pin knock into the socket. I would use atleast half inch.then use an extention whatever length you need to reach a solid floor or block.then try hitting with a punch .that will put the blow to the pin and not the shaft .hitting it without blocking the shaft will probably do damage to other things.

If you are able, drill out the pin best you can. That will weaken it , use vice grips.

Turn it so the pin is facing down, wd 40 in the hole, then as big a pin as you can get that fits in with a bit of play, then mini sledge. And hope... :)

A cotter press will work wonders.

Hold whatever type punch or pin with plyers or vice grip when hammering on it in case you slip.

torch it till its smokes, 2 mins or so and proceed to whack accordingly.

Brad William /

> Pops Peds Wrote:

> Turn the pin straight up and down ..use a socket close to the size of

> the pin that will let the pin knock into the socket. I would use atleast

> half inch.then use an extention whatever length you need to reach a

> solid floor or block.then try hitting with a punch .that will put the

> blow to the pin and not the shaft .hitting it without blocking the shaft

> will probably do damage to other things.

This is spot-on advice. The more solid the "anvil" you can position the back of the socket on, like a LG mass of concrete or steel, the better.

Heeeeeaaaaaaattttt

Beach Club Nick /

I would just leave it; if you can't get it out it's not gonna fall out on its own so it's serving its purpose

> pat splat Wrote:

> torch it till its smokes, 2 mins or so and proceed to whack accordingly.

what he said

What Brad said. The pedal shaft needs to be supported by something rigid and immovable so that the energy of whatever you're banging with is transferred only to the pin. Then use (more) oil and heat if needed.

> el pollo Wrote:

> > pat splat Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > torch it till its smokes, 2 mins or so and proceed to whack

> accordingly.

>

> what he said

...and smoke the pedal shaft oil seal.

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> > el pollo Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > > pat splat Wrote:

>

> >

>

> > > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> >

>

> > > torch it till its smokes, 2 mins or so and proceed to whack

>

> > accordingly.

>

> >

>

> > what he said

>

> ...and smoke the pedal shaft oil seal.

yea that frame def has a pedal shaft oil seal.

Drake Abrahamsson /

Same thing happened to me except mine was normal. The PO had the pedals set up quite jankily and it was REALLY in there. I heated mine up (careful not to roast the paint on the frame) and then whacked it out using a small diameter socket and big ol hammer.

Yep its not motor mount.^^ Ive never had one I had to heat up though. (edited)

I would do what the others said with the socket and extension, put it over the pin and wiggle it up and down the best you can....longer the extension the better, leverage is your friend....heat it up too. Whatever the outcome, you’ve gained some very knowledgeable experience because I bet you will never do that again in the future!

IF you are fortunate enough to have a piston pin removal tool , you could easily adapt it for removing that shaft pin .

do you have a large c clamp? I would use that + assorted sockets to press it out if so. more control and less violent than hammering.

> ken gilbert Wrote:

> do you have a large c clamp? I would use that + assorted sockets to

> press it out if so. more control and less violent than hammering.

This is also a very good option..i don't like to disagree with people on their ideas of doing things but i have to say heat should not be an option at all when dealing with seals .when you heat the shaft it is almost 100 % positive you will damage the seals because the heat will transfer down the shaft and heat the seal..

Terbo Speghetti /

Run it. The only fix is to break more

Probably Fred /

I dremel/grind/ cut the Pedal crank in that area and the pin taps falls out/taps right out, I then get new pedal crank with correct size pin

this is why you always grease the cotter pin before you install it. & also why you bust out the calipers and measure the old cotter pin before you order a new cotter pin. & also why you buy a range of cotter pins and test them before installing them if you don’t have calipers.

and also why sometimes you need to grind them down a little bit on a bench grinder if they slip through the pedal arm, but when on the shaft the threads aren’t accessible.

but hey, what do i know, i’m just a dog.

Just wondering, mine in my Bravo are really loose. I don't think they are original. Anyone happen to know what size it takes?

> Les B. Wrote:

> Just wondering, mine in my Bravo are really loose. I don't think they

> are original. Anyone happen to know what size it takes?

Measure with calipers.

For everyone else, I got it out, just fell out after turning over the engine a few times. I ground it down and got it in and.... it got stuck again lol. Fell out again, this time I’ll buy the right sized pin.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account