I believe this is a record for leanest plug

15742238187653348207948603021980.jpg

This 62 cc polini built right by Graham has been a nice mild ride. Cheeta even buffed it up for me a bit. I've always let it run rich and borderline fourstroking and happy in the twenties with quick pickup for fun pub runs. Anyway I've noticed pooled two stroke oil that I've thought was a known fuel line leak. Then suddenly the engine begins to rev up way way higher than I ever hitherfore had the "luck" to get on this engine. Wow ...now my headlight blows! Plus I wanted to change the rear pulley assembly. Treats mailing a new petcock etc well I pulled out the plug to get a piston stock I there and voila !!

My guess.....base gasket disintegrated !!

I can't get to a leakdown until next week but that's my guess.

Others?

Re: I believe this is a record for leanest plug

Looks like someone has a vacuum leak...

Dirty30 Dillon /

Why does your kitted vespa only do mid 20's?

Good question.

Overpriced Parts /

You’re supposed to look at the smoke ring at the very bottom of the porcelain

damn that's whiter'n don ohio

Amazingly no seize.

Overpriced Parts /

What plug and heat range number is it!

Dirty30 Dillon /

It sounds like that motor is miffed. A stock ciao US ciao does a respectable 25. With a kit and such, 30 should be the minimum.

Overpriced Parts /

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> It sounds like that motor is miffed. A stock ciao US ciao does a

> respectable 25. With a kit and such, 30 should be the minimum.

What is miffed? Seriously I don’t know what that means,

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> > Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > It sounds like that motor is miffed. A stock ciao US ciao does a

>

> > respectable 25. With a kit and such, 30 should be the minimum.

>

> What is miffed? Seriously I don’t know what that means,

Like pissed off, irritated. Typically used to describe a person's feelings towards something, I am using the term anthropomorphically in this instance.

Lolz Will...^^^

Marc, assuming you have a temp guage on this motor, what temps are you seeing?

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> >

> This 62 cc polini built right by Graham has been a nice mild ride.

> Cheeta even buffed it up for me a bit. I've always let it run rich and

> borderline fourstroking and happy in the twenties with quick pickup for

> fun pub runs. Anyway I've noticed pooled two stroke oil that I've

> thought was a known fuel line leak. Then suddenly the engine begins to

> rev up way way higher than I ever hitherfore had the "luck" to get on

> this engine. Wow ...now my headlight blows! Plus I wanted to change the

> rear pulley assembly. Treats mailing a new petcock etc well I pulled out

> the plug to get a piston stock I there and voila !!

>

> My guess.....base gasket disintegrated !!

>

> I can't get to a leakdown until next week but that's my guess.

>

> Others?

I’m still confused on what your talking about, it sounds like you have multi issues, pooled two stroke oil ( do u have oil injection), headlight bulb blew, changing pully.

Why not just say...I removed the spark plug and noticed the bike was running lean.(edited)

Because it was all due to one thing !

Temps have always been low. Can hardly break 300. So because I'm basically puttering around Davis neighborhoods and sneaking into greenbelts it's plenty fast and at low speeds the bravo handles mild off road such as grass perfectly. It because apparent that with the most forks , the machine was actually designed for this speed so I've not really been disappointed with the performance. I have other crazy fast mopeds but the bravo with it's wimpy wot has become my most favorite. I head over to my buddy Jerry's house where his garage is full of Norton's and we grab his noped.

When u start using one bike alot , any mild defects get worse. Thats sort of what I was describing with the pre story of the white plug. The whole thing manifest with a blown headlight! And yes I needed a new petcock and I needed to change out the rear pulley/clutch. But ultimately it was the white plug which seems to indicate air leak of major proportions occuring so suddenly that the piston didn't seize.

The bike misses my apartment. It was having a thing with my hotplate

My final verdict is that the engine was acutely miffed perhaps with chronic miffness !

Leak down ...totally tight

Changed the petcock and rebuilt the rear main drive shoes. Starts right up and rides as well as it always used to. Very low temps last night in the rain in 200s . The red wire at the case puts out 6 or so volts at idle and up to 20 or so when revving on the stand. I threw on a 12 v tractor headlight that was already on a cev headlight rim.

I've started using av gas from the local airport and I wonder if the "white" has something to do with the av gas which has lead. And that the color doesn't mean it's running lean. I'll have to ride this for a while and reassess. From what I could see of the piston and the wall of the jug once engine was out is that it looks perfect.

I tried the battery and volt reg briefly and I think I measured up to 7.2 volts on the stand but went for the 12 v headlight just to get this done.

What made you want to run av gas?

@ Tom. My buddy Jerry is a Norton old school guy and he preaches the gospel of av gas. It is his contention that av gas is better on rubber gaskets. Old motorcycles , to Jerry , have way less maintainance issues. So we gontonthe airport for gas together. The stuff is still leaded.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account