Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

I’m trying to pick open my rear spoke lock so I can remove it and replace it with one I have the key for. I’ve been picking it for days, with an electric pick gun, a rake, and a conventional pick. I can’t get it to open! I can’t imagine it’s too secure, and shining a light in it reveals a standard pin and tumbler style lock, so why won’t it open?

There’s a little bit of in and out play while it’s sitting in its integrated rear rack spot, and is spring loaded. I’ve tried picking with the spring compressed, and with it released, still nothing. I’ve tried tensioning it both directions to no avail. I don’t want to drill it out, because I tried and failed at that with my fork lock and it was too messy/ruined too many drill bits. If anyone’s ever picked this lock or has experience let me know.

Attached is an image of the lock.

image.jpg

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

It's probably frozen up due to sitting. Have you soaked it in WD-40?

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

Do you have a set of picks? Raking it with tension should work no prob.

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

I'm trying the same thing. Want to remove and take to a key shop to get a key made.

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

> Wesley Morris Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'm trying the same thing. Want to remove and take to a key shop to get

> a key made.

Just take the whole thing. Shops going to make a key regardless. Doesn't matter if it's still in thurr.

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

> Wesley Morris Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I'm trying the same thing. Want to remove and take to a key shop to get

> a key made.

I have taken the entire rack off of one of my prior Puch Maxi MKii’s and took it to a professional locksmith to cut a key or pick it ... and after 2 days ... no go. They were unable to pick it or remove the lock shaft.

End result ... You’ll have to drill it out.

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

Comparing your lock with a close-up pic of my Odyssey fork lock it looks like the same key blank would be used. and I haven't been able to pick mine either. Did my Moby in like 5 minutes but the German / Austrian locks seem to be quite difficult.

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

I really want to avoid drilling for the reasons mentioned above. I might end up trying my luck taking the rack to the locksmith. Hopefully it won’t cost a fortune.

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

> Guthrie Mass Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I really want to avoid drilling for the reasons mentioned above. I might

> end up trying my luck taking the rack to the locksmith. Hopefully it

> won’t cost a fortune.

Best of luck... as mentioned... zero success with a locksmith on mine.

Please keep us informed on the outcome.

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

I remember cutting mine off or drilling the core out. Took 5 mins.

Second note: I definitely drilled because the rod is some kind of super harden metal.

If you got a replacement lock from treats they are to long and have to be cut to puch maxi swing arm size.

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

I'm currently in the same boat. Spent a few hours trying to pick a Puch lock with a pick set. I can get it to rotate ever so slighty at times as if I got some of the pins aligned correctly but still no dice. I see 3 pins in mine.

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

***Kim Jong illest*** /

spot weld a metal stick to the tumbler so you have something to really get some torque on when you are turning

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

Overpriced Parts /

Remove aluminum pin, Drill it out, it comes right out, new one goes right in after you turn key put the new one in, you may have to use your put aluminum pin back in, done, Still a kind of a pain in the butt but only takes 5-10 minutes whole job, after you do one or two you will be an expert,

The aftermarket ones are loose fit especially in a magnum because the magnum has a bigger bolt so NOS ones are best and you may have to reuse your old spring because the new ones come with a smaller diameter spring

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

In my case it is the Puch seat compartment lock for an 85 Maxi Sport. I don't think they make a replacement for that lock.

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Remove aluminum pin, Drill it out, it comes right out, new one goes

> right in after you turn key put the new one in, you may have to use your

> put aluminum pin back in, done, Still a kind of a pain in the butt but

> only takes 5-10 minutes whole job, after you do one or two you will be

> an expert,

>

> The aftermarket ones are loose fit especially in a magnum because the

> e magnum has a bigger bolt so NOS ones are best and you may have to

> reuse your old spring because the new ones come with a smaller diameter

> spring

Don’t see an aluminum pin... this is for the rear wheel/rack lock.

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Well do to my dubious past you can take a blank and if you have it in the lock you can repetitively tap it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and it will leave the impression for the key on the blank and then you can cut it otherwise you should bring it to me I can probably pick it in 3 minutes I used to do locksmithing for the phone company or you could just go the thief route and freeze it with freon smash it with a hammer

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

John Kreitler /

Bought a non running '78 Maxi Sport over the summer as a project. Never owned a moped before. What is that lock for? Maybe missing something on mine, doesn't appear to do anything.

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

> John Kreitler Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Bought a non running '78 Maxi Sport over the summer as a project. Never

> owned a moped before. What is that lock for? Maybe missing something on

> mine, doesn't appear to do anything.

Your swingarm should have a lock shaped hole in it for it to slide through

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

Had another, smacked the pin side with a hammer and it popped right out. Still trying to pick the other one.

20191216_073245.jpg

Re: Puch Maxi Sport Spoke Lock Picking Help!

John Kreitler /

Thank you,can't believe I never even noticed that.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account