Trailer advice

Considering putting a class three hitch on my SUV and adding one of those small platforms that you can put a moped or such on.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Ken

Re: Trailer advice

Look for used on letgo or craigslist.

Dirty30 Dillon /

https://www.discountramps.com/hitch-mounted-steel-motorcycle-carrier/p/MCC-600/

I use this one all the time with my WJ. Hauls motos great, and the bolt down ramp lets you fit 2 mopeds side by side, if you're clever. super sturdy, no bad rocking and because it's steel I can weld/modify as needed.

Terbo Speghetti /

Is your SUV AWD? FWD with a heavy rack on the back can get a lil sketchy.

AWD and good size.

Dirty30 Dillon /

The length does not accommodate a moped very well, certainly not sitting inside the basket.

60 inches not enough?

?

Francis Cronley /

Cheap and effective for one small bike. The little rail ones are decent too, the kind with bars on either side to secure tie down straps. Buy a lotta straps

Dirty30 Dillon /

I cannot think of a standard size moped that will fit with 60" rails

I use the same trailer as Dillon on my Rav4. I also cut about 5-6 inches off each end of the platform and moved the chock to its closest inside position. Fits a DT50 perfectly and a moped with a little extra room. Goal was to not have the platform be wider than my SUV. Take your max tongue weight into consideration as this thing weighs about 90lbs as is. Add a stabilizer and you're golden.

The carriers have weight limits for 500 lbs. You are correct that tongue weight limits for the car should be checked. I doubt 120 lb tongue weight would be a problem. I had to adapt to the mid size hitch with an extension that lowers the tongue weight by half and still have no problem. I drive a fwd car.

Also that rail carrier with 60 in rails has a bunch of chocks to fit smaller bikes. I ordered mine online but you can also get them from harbor freight for about 100.00. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account