Re: 3D printed parts

Joel P /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

SLA is not as strong in a lot of cases, and it's messy and the chemicals stink and you don't want to use it unless your room is very well ventilated with an extractor. For model making and very precise parts though it cannot be beat.

FDM is still my go to, I print a lot at my work and also as a hobby. I printed this intake in Nylon CF

And this one in PETG

Nylon, NylonCF or PETG will all work with gas to some degree

You can pick up NylonCF on aliexpress for pretty cheap. 20-30% makes a crazy difference in strength and rigidity as nylon is a fairly flexible plastic.

Nylon Carbon Fiber

But my new love is Ultem 9085 or 1010 for pieces. Resistant to most everything, ultra high temp and very strong. The price is staggering though, comparatively. I have built some things with it at work and it's really nice.

Ultem 1010

PLA is great for ease of use but it reacts with pretty much everything so for engine parts or direct UV it's not a good choice.

SLM is cool, we are looking at getting one at work, but the cost for it is pretty staggering if you get a big name guy like EOS, SLM, GE... etc. (edited)

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account