Ground wire

Why would my 78 Moby 50 use a bare ground wire between the ignition coil and the engine? Why not insulated?

Re: Ground wire

> Ken Fil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Why would my 78 Moby 50 use a bare ground wire between the ignition coil

> and the engine? Why not insulated?

Is any of your frame insulated ?

Most ground straps are bare , unless in the proximity of a 'hot' wire or source .

Actually the stock bonding strap on the Mobys are a piece of shyte. You would want to replace it with a wire from one of your intake studs and bond to the lower external coil studs. Stock location at the upper engine mount ents up breaking and getting all corroded and provides a sketchy connection.

Make sure on the replacement wire you leave some extra so the engine can pivot without the wire getting fouled in anything.

Some folks suggest removing some paint on one of the holes on the frame under the guard and using that for most of the grounding

If the frame is being used as ground , then definitely clear anything that might not be bare metal .

ANY ground point should be bare metal and the connection scratch tight .

Richard Eberline /

If you leave the paint on, then you are grounding to paint! Good Luck!

Doesn't matter what moped it is, I run all grounds to a single location and then to a bolt on the motor, usually an intake bolt.

Many engines are rubber mounted. Puch maxi and magnum swingarms are rubber mounted. Don't like messing up paint.

And dont be tempted to use stainless fasteners, they are shyty conductors of electricity compared to mild steel nuts n bolts, they will cause you grief trying to get a goodly ground.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account