Illinois Moped laws?

Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting back into the Moped game after a long time. I rode a Motobecane 40T throughout college, sold it in 2001. Now I'm thinking about getting another one to get me back and forth to the train for work.

So here in Illinois (with the exception of Chicago and one or two other towns), it used to be that a moped under 50ccs with pedals could be parked on sidewalks and even locked up at bike racks.

Well I looked at the most recent version of the SoS rules of the road and dug through the state laws, but this specific language now seems to have been removed at some point. Any other Illinois riders have info about this or know what's up?

Re: Illinois Moped laws?

will at MOPED on western ave.....for all your moped needs......

Terbo Speghetti /

In Illinois you'll get a ticket if you park a plated bike on a sidewalk. But you'll get your bike stolen of you leave it on the street. Riding in the suburbs, i've usually just removed my plate before parking at the bike rack.

Heather Atherton /

I have never had a problem locking up at a bike rack in Chicago. As a dogwalker, I am all over the neighborhood where there aren't bike racks, so I just lock up to a street sign.

Terbo Speghetti /

Not sure how many years you've been riding, but i promise that a cop having a bad day will give a ticket to someone with a moped on a sidewalk in Chicago. You can probably get away with the parkway like you said, but that's not where most bike racks are, and signs bolt to the ground most of the time. There's bicycle thieves in Chicago that loosen the bolts on signs in advance just to steal your transpo.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account