Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogue

Brad William /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I don't see the frequent disruption of electronic technologies discussed often when making these comparisons. Ought to be of interest on a forum like this where most members are nursing along, and enjoying the process of keeping alive, 30, 40 and 50 year old machines. Good luck riding that 2020 electric bike in 2050. Or in 2025. Or in 2015.

I own a lot of power tools. Most are corded. This might seem off topic but it's not really. I'm not a contractor. These guys can easily justify the need for mobility and freedom from extension cords. They make their living with tools. It would be foolhardy of me to pay those nose bleeding high premiums required to replace my otherwise perfectly good tools every five years just because I can no longer find the batteries and parts for the tools. But most consumers, idiotically, do just that. I still own and use some of my dad's corded tools from 50 years ago. I will until we no longer have 110ac at our outlets.

Battery technology, at this point, for light personal transportation purposes (mine anyway) is still periodically disruptive enough that i can expect it to obsolesce that otherwise far from worn out bike while I own it. Or power tool. No one will stock parts for it... most of the components within are antiques within five years. Look at your five year old laptop. Try to find new parts for it. Most of the time you're reduced to chasing down take-offs from used ones, if you're lucky. It's not worth it usually. We just buy new laptops. We buy new cordless tools. What you gonna do with that five year old electric moped? Diy your own modular electronics? Learn to reflash the board's lost/cooked firmware with you're diy coding skills? Try in vain to find a place to recharge your antique lithium ion battery pack when everyone else has moved on to matchbox sized 3oz silicon/cobalt nano honeycomed asymmetrically modulated batteries and their non backward compatible chargers? You may look back fondly at the ability to resurrect you're piston pushing puch or tomos with a flat blade screwdriver, a paper clip, and a cup of premix from the farm down the road.

I have no antipathy toward new electric vehicles, or cordless tools. For the vast majority of us in 2020 they're just not ready for prime time. For me that's not until some future point in this disruptive cycle of obsolescence where I can expect a more reasonable lifespan from something, even 15 years of consistent battery/fuel technology and parts availability. (edited)

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueTopic by: David Herrera David Herrera 11/06/19 07:24AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: David Herrera David Herrera 11/06/19 07:44AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Rebel Moby Rebel Moby 11/06/19 08:54AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: scrot rash scrot rash 11/06/19 09:09AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: scrot rash scrot rash 11/06/19 09:22AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: David Herrera David Herrera 11/06/19 11:34AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Dirty30 Dillon Dirty30 Dillon 11/06/19 09:35AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Seth B Seth B 11/06/19 09:43AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: live ɘvil live ɘvil 11/06/19 09:46AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: scrot rash scrot rash 11/06/19 11:21AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Don Ohio Don Ohio 11/07/19 12:35PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: live ɘvil live ɘvil 11/06/19 09:12AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Tomos A35 Tomos A35 11/06/19 11:33AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Brad William Brad William 11/06/19 01:59PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Dirty30 Dillon Dirty30 Dillon 11/06/19 02:08PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Mike Boyd Mike Boyd 11/06/19 02:42PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: live ɘvil live ɘvil 11/06/19 02:53PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Nick MBC Nick MBC 11/06/19 03:31PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: live ɘvil live ɘvil 11/06/19 03:56PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Honest Mike Honest Mike 11/07/19 01:00PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Zach Riddle Zach Riddle 11/07/19 01:42PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Nick MBC Nick MBC 11/07/19 01:52PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Zach Riddle Zach Riddle 11/07/19 02:14PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account