Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogue

Rebel Moby /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Seeing 'competitively' advertised moped (pedals and electric) for $1350 just the bike no electronics at all, $1850usd no batteries included for 500w motor or $2150 for the 1000w option (also no batteries)... not even a discussion in my mind for something that caps out at 50km/h and takes longer to recharge than to run.

We have tried a pair of electric bikes (pedal cycle frame with electric motors) for two years a while ago and the technology was NOT there at the time. 500w hub motor was slow on the get go and the top speed of 50km/h was never attained (80kg me not really 'heavy') so likely rated on perfectly flat ground, no wind, (whatever else to bump the rating). Did not perform well in winter, below freezing the batteries were not happy and I have to park in heated or semi-heated otherwise pedal my way home or to my destination.

Batteries were expensive for the better quality replacements, cheapo lower Ah rated batteries were not so expensive but probably would need replacing sooner. Have to store up the depleted batteries for DG collection, here it is once a year at a local towns public works, also have to remember to bring them there (out of sight out of mind).

Quality of the bikes I tried were not sufficient, two years and there was quite a bit of rust developing, switches and controls were sketchy in rain and snow as they were not very water proof though there were damp resistant. Hub motor on one bike started to become noisy on the second summer and replacement plus fresh battery set (good quality not cheapos) would have cost close to replacing the bike. Being summer I replaced the batteries with the cheapo ones and sold the bike cheap to someone living in town. Saw it a couple of times after than but never again... so perhaps it is dead-dead. The second bike I sold it the following spring 'as-is needs battery' some city guy came and talked the price down a little and "bye-bye".

Probably try a e-moped in the future, just not now, technology exists for reliability but the greed is coming before people can experience it, so a $2k (batteries not included) electric to me is about as appealing as a $50k (fuel not included? lol) pickup truck. I can wait a couple of years for the second hand market to be realistically affordable (based on value to me vs cost) before I buy a e-moped (or e-scooter or e-bike), allowing time and mileage weed out the crap.

Just y opinion based on something e-powered compared to a real moped, driven year round, +30°c (humidex up to 45°) to -10°c (would be colder if I was younger), sunny, rainy, snowy, windy days, to work and home plus fetching provisions in town and just riding about.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueTopic by: David Herrera David Herrera 11/06/19 07:24AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: David Herrera David Herrera 11/06/19 07:44AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Rebel Moby Rebel Moby 11/06/19 08:54AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: scrot rash scrot rash 11/06/19 09:09AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: scrot rash scrot rash 11/06/19 09:22AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: David Herrera David Herrera 11/06/19 11:34AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Dirty30 Dillon Dirty30 Dillon 11/06/19 09:35AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Seth B Seth B 11/06/19 09:43AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: live ɘvil live ɘvil 11/06/19 09:46AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: scrot rash scrot rash 11/06/19 11:21AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Don Ohio Don Ohio 11/07/19 12:35PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: live ɘvil live ɘvil 11/06/19 09:12AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Tomos A35 Tomos A35 11/06/19 11:33AM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Brad William Brad William 11/06/19 01:59PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Dirty30 Dillon Dirty30 Dillon 11/06/19 02:08PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Mike Boyd Mike Boyd 11/06/19 02:42PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: live ɘvil live ɘvil 11/06/19 02:53PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Nick MBC Nick MBC 11/06/19 03:31PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: live ɘvil live ɘvil 11/06/19 03:56PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Honest Mike Honest Mike 11/07/19 01:00PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Zach Riddle Zach Riddle 11/07/19 01:42PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Nick MBC Nick MBC 11/07/19 01:52PM
  Re: Fuel vs Electric - a dialogueRe: Zach Riddle Zach Riddle 11/07/19 02:14PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account