What are things to look for/buying tips for mid/late 90's Tomos step thru?

I'm thinking about buying a 1996-2003 Step Thru Tomos/Targa.

Wanting a '96, or later, due to carb placement, bigger brakes, A35 engine, etc.

I know to be sure and inspect the inside of the gas tank, the tires for tread/dry rot, hoses and cables,......but what are some other things that need to be periodically changed on that particular moped that I should ask if it has been done...(Or deduct money from the selling price if no proof of bring done)?

And not just regular maintenance...but anything to check on that model?

Forks?

Chains? Belts?

Carb work?

Tires/tubes?

Some are oil injection and some models are still pre-mix.

Is one preferred over the other?

Is the difference all just a convenience factor?

Is the oil injection reliable to always inject oil?

I am looking to find a nice one in the $400-$500 range. Less if it needs some things. (edited)

1978-79-Tomos-Ad-Sidekick.jpg

Re: What are things to look for/buying tips for mid/late 90's Tomos step thru?

Check for tire chains and carburetor belt is good.

Oh and check the fork plate isn’t spooned or knifed. (edited)

> Megasaurass Rex Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Check for tire chains and carburetor belt is good.

I checked those items real well.

I'm gonna for sure need tire chains for the Winter. I'm a hardcore rider!

And yep, the carb belt looks real good.

Gonna check both muffler bearings once i see it.

Thanks bro!

Serious replies are also welcomed and encouraged!

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Bring a bamboo skewer with you the kind they make really big kabobs on and you open up the tranny port and work it all the way to the bottom of the engine case and then pull it up look at the very bottom and make sure there isn't a whole bunch of metallic Grit and check the fluid level the only way to check the clutch pads is actually look at them and they're not going to let you cuz you'll have to pull the transmission cover but if you Lexia take it for a ride make sure you go down a steep hill and let off the gas and see if the one way bearing works if it doesn't your chain will pop off also make sure you can climb a hill with it if the pads are worn at won't climb a hill the A35 I feel is a sturdy platform but an A 3 well work just fine if you get a side shot intake also an A3 is actually a better transmission but it is not interchangeable with an A35 without major mods but can run kits with a piston made 4 A3 or you can swap out your Conrad now if you get a t t l x then you can run puch kits on it with the angle port and have an A five five intake work for the carb and a magnum pipe or such an angle port puch pipe but you will find that if you have a step through it won't work for the angle ports your carb is going to hit the petcock every time

Thanks for those tips!

Tips for not buying a mid/late 90's Tomos step thru?

Double Trouble Dan /

Look for the black wheel of death .

Tomos are notorious for seal leaks on the chain side.

Any oil , you should walk or at least know how to repair it.

Tomos also like to shear teeth on the main gear

The engine should run smooth with no clanking or jangly noises.

Same with the roller bearings.

If you look at a kick start, make sure it operates properly.

The springs and the cases all have major issues.

Look for cracks or missing pieces around the kick start lever.

Make sure it engages smoothly and fully retracts .

Get a cheap bore scope off ebay and pull the spark plug.

Peep into the cylinder and look for scoring , bluing , or gouges.

Do a compression test too.

Under 100 bail .

All signs of impending doom .

Plus , these are tools you will need when you get sucked into the world of mopeds

Having rebuilt my share of Tomos engines, I would not buy one unless the price was very low , mileage was low , and the owner brags how well the bike was cared for while allowing a full inspection .

For some reason , every Tomos i get my hands on from that era , has major issues and I've owned my share.

The good part is that they are easily serviced, run pretty well , and can zip up to 40 MPH without much effort or extra cost.

tomossprint.jpg

One of my current Tomos, a 2007 Sprint.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Yeah Thomas's are so well-built and designed that they can run with major things wrong with them that one way bearing that I told you about if it is left go it will ruin almost everything in the transmission it will ruin the other bearing and then it will start stripping your main bearing Drive and the kickstarter cage starts going bad and it all will run for years without fixing it I have seen a Tomas motor that once I opened it there was no way I could imagine it to run right but it did for several years it was my friend the dreaded ones and he used to ride 75 miles back and forth and the thing had a seized bearing loose flywheel hub broken brake strip half pads about six or seven teeth missing and it made this noise that sounds like halfway between an old creaky clock and a mouse jackhammering

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account