Mopeds to stay clear of...

For newbie folks such as myself what vintage moped are easier vs harder to work on?

What should I avoid if any?

Thanks,

Ken

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Avoid AMF’s that have the motor mounted over the rear wheel. They are pieces of junk.

I also avoid Indian mopeds. They are four stroke, difficult to work on and difficult to find parts for.

Easiest mopeds to work on....1 speed Puchs, any moped with a Minarelli V1 motor, any moped with a Franco Morini motor, all Tomos mopeds, Garelli mopeds. Two speed Puchs are easy to work on except if you have to work on the transmission. Benelli/ Moto Guzzis are fairly easy but sourcing engine parts is sometimes difficult. (edited)

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Thank you

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Jawa can be harder to find parts for/known electrical issues, it is kind of a case by case thing, some hate on Motobecanes, but in my case one was my first bike, so I "get" them. Condition is often more important than make, avoid bikes that have sat outside for yrs etc....no gas cap is a deal breaker for me unless bike is free.

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

No Batavus

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

Steer clear of Angel, Bermuda and Kamasura mopeds. All are garbage. (edited)

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Stay clear of mopeds... Or soon you will be lost forever.

It has been said many times here, “Mopeds ruined my life.” I can vouch for that, as I now have 13 of them. Or is it 14? I’ll have to go count. I’m only a year and a half into the hobby. Now people look at me like the crazy lady with all the cats. I don’t even like cats.

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Steer clear of any moped that is not French [/sarcastic font]

Buyfrenchiemoped.jpg

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Actually chose a moped that suits your wants and needs, look only at machines that you feel you would love to ride, if your choice seems daunting by what you read about on MA from other people's experience, then go for your choice B (or maybe C).

Everyone have a different aptitude for mechanics, some folks get stuff and some dont, you need to gauge your mechanical abilities against the failures. Everyone has an opinion about various brands of mopeds, some are realistic complaints and some are them just not getting their heads around how the bike was engineered...

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Barry (Bob) Brown /

Honda Hobbits are really easy to work on and have tons of easily found parts.

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

> Rebel Moby Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Actually chose a moped that suits your wants and needs, look only at

> machines that you feel you would love to ride, if your choice seems

> daunting by what you read about on MA from other people's experience,

> then go for your choice B (or maybe C).

>

> Everyone have a different aptitude for mechanics, some folks get stuff

> and some dont, you need to gauge your mechanical abilities against the

> failures. Everyone has an opinion about various brands of mopeds, some

> are realistic complaints and some are them just not getting their heads

> around how the bike was engineered...

^^Best advice yet. Judge your own mechanical aptitude and go from there. My first was a Vespa Bravo. It Initially frustrated me, but I figured it out quickly. I find Puch’s boringly simplistic in most stock configurations, but they are fun to modify, and performance mods can challenge any skill set. I have just ventured into the French moped world, and now have three Motobecane mopeds. It feels just like Rebel’s picture. But I like bottomless pits; I find myself digging them regularly.

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Indeed - AND there are a lot of goodly folks at MA who can help to direct you through some of the particular issues with the various brands because every moped brand has its own special little thing happening...

(but there are champions of just about each brand ever made)

> Seth B Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

>

> My first was a Vespa Bravo. It Initially frustrated me, but I figured it

> out quickly. I find Puch’s boringly simplistic in most stock

> configurations, but they are fun to modify, and performance mods can

> challenge any skill set. I have just ventured into the French moped

> world, and now have three Motobecane mopeds. It feels just like Rebel’s

> picture. But I like bottomless pits; I find myself digging them

> regularly.

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Pushrod Fifty /

Worse than a poorly designed ped can be one that has been hacked by the previous owner. Look for rounded off nuts and bolt hexes, taped up and or dangling wiring, hardware store quality stuff used to mount parts that weren't original, incorrect tires, bicycle parts, bent parts, missing air filter, etc.

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

personally, i'd avoid any bike that's a knock off of a quality bike for my first, such as kenitic mopeds.

otherwise, it kinda just depends on what's around.

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

I had the same question a while back.

Check out the stiki wiki

https://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/First_moped

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Avoid AMF’s that have the motor mounted over the rear wheel. They are pieces of junk. (Quoting Moped Lar)

Somebody looking for parts here a while back called them a "Doofus Bike". I though that was hilarious and I still get a chuckle whenever I see one and remember that moniker.

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

> John Maxson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Worse than a poorly designed ped can be one that has been hacked by the

> previous owner. Look for rounded off nuts and bolt hexes, taped up and

> or dangling wiring, hardware store quality stuff used to mount parts

> that weren't original, incorrect tires, bicycle parts, bent parts,

> missing air filter, etc.

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

> John Maxson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Worse than a poorly designed ped can be one that has been hacked by the

> previous owner. Look for rounded off nuts and bolt hexes, taped up and

> or dangling wiring, hardware store quality stuff used to mount parts

> that weren't original, incorrect tires, bicycle parts, bent parts,

> missing air filter, etc.

I camehere to say this. Any stock, complete, and almost running is better than one thats been FuKzord by the previous owner.

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

> Potr zebie Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> No Batavus

Any reason other than no go-fast parts? I had 2 as my first bike- pretty reliable, straightforward, and forgiving in terms of messing things up.

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Josiah Radebaugh /

@ RebelMoby

Totally agree, find something that lights you up inside everytime you see it.

Why not Batavus? Nothing wrong at all with them.

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

figired just because theres not much you can do with 'em, thats all

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Don't buy any bike spray painted flat black.

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Just came to check the wiki page was posted. I dunno how recently it's been updated but not too much has changed. Puch/honda/tomos/minarelli are easiest and best parts availability; french are cool but more difficult; sachs, morini, garelli, vespa, derbi all kinda 2nd tier difficulty but still excellent choices, jawa batavus flandria, or trac, hero/panther/ankur, maybe kriedler are all kinda trickier just from less availability and crummier parts.

oh and what's wrong with batavus? those encarwi carbs! AAAH! so much dribbling and leaking and untunable junk. but get a sha 13 and you're OK

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Get a Vespa Grande. My all-time favorite moped. It's such a solid bike, easy to work on, variated, easy to do tasteful modifications on, plenty of aftermarket parts and support. My first moped and still my favorite.

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

> baird co Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Don't buy any bike spray painted flat black.

LOL!

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Dan (high idle) Conway /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Just came to check the wiki page was posted. I dunno how recently it's

> been updated but not too much has changed. Puch/honda/tomos/minarelli

> are easiest and best parts availability; french are cool but more

> difficult; sachs, morini, garelli, vespa, derbi all kinda 2nd tier

> difficulty but still excellent choices, jawa batavus flandria, or trac,

> hero/panther/ankur, maybe kriedler are all kinda trickier just from less

> availability and crummier parts.

>

> oh and what's wrong with batavus? those encarwi carbs! AAAH! so much

> dribbling and leaking and untunable junk. but get a sha 13 and you're OK

The Tier list. Yknow, after owning all of the major brands, I agree with this list. Although Kreidler is excellently engineered/high quality, it’s a hard brand to

find good parts for.

I would say Sachs 505 falls into the easier to work on side of things, Then there is the engines located stuffed within sub frame bikes... And those I can’t get easily get behind

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Seth why exactly did you buy so many mopeds? I thought I had too many mopeds and I only have 2. I bought the Jawa because it is easier to pedal incase it breaks down. The jawa also runs better than my other bike now.

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Drake Abrahamsson /

My friend and I both got Maxis for $500 (from different sellers). Mine was kitted. I put over $1,000 in parts into mine and I believe he put in around $400. Makes me think this stuff is luck of the draw but I probably could’ve chosen better. The dude I bought mine from had a bunch of maxis however they were za50s and I wanted an e50. there was one white maxi sitting in the corner and I asked if I could buy that one. He said sure but took off the tecno circuit pipe and replaced it with a stock one. I was stoked because I thought the stock looked better anyways. Oh boy was I ready to get my world rocked. I’ve replaced almost everything on this bike (some necessary, some because I wanted this thing to be perfect). In the process, I learned EVERYTHING about this bike and I am just about finished with it. My friends has already died and since he didn’t do much with it from the start, he has no idea how to fix it. He’s also not super mechanically inclined and I’d say I’m pretty good with that. I’m studying civil engineering and he’s doing polysci stuff. This isn’t to say ones better than the other, just highlights different areas of the brain. Basically what I’m saying is that pre-fricked-with stuff is harder to fix than stock. Oh well! Let the moped throw challenges at you and if you’re ready, take them on with a smile and an I can do it attitude! I almost gave up a few times but I’m glad I didn’t. Every moped is unique and will give you a different challenge so it’s hard to say within a brand what to choose because a lot of stuff you can’t really see. Stock will most likely treat you more kindly. I hope you get your hands on a moped and start enjoying them soon!

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

...seems to be a very popular topic of discussion these days so...

Mopeds to stay clear of...

Anything with an electric motor

Re: Mopeds to stay clear of...

Stay clear of all mopeds. They will ruin your life. #buyaharley

8a65f5cab2f038880da1afc43fa7b282--hummer-harley-davidson.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account