Class 1 hitch carrier options?

john cervini /
moped-army-f27d80d87a721fc9be1dcfcbad372ab7.jpg
Screenshot_20191101-051852_Facebook.jpg

I have a 2010 sonata with a class 1 hitch 1.25" receiver. I usually haul bikes in the trunk. I'm picking up a moped next week in another state and really don't want to stick it in the trunk. I've seen some people using motorcycle racks and mesh cargo carriers and was wondering what the drawbacks are if any. I can get the one pictured locally and it has a 300lb max weight. The moped is about 100 lbs. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Class 1 hitch carrier options?

Alright, I just got this figured out myself.

Our car is a Toyota Yaris and the only hitch options I could find were for a Class I receiver. Class I (1-1/4") has a tongue weight of 200 lbs. Understandably, they don't really make full-size motorbike carriers for Class I since with even a small motorcycle you'd typically be way over the tongue weight. Also, if you're hauling mopeds, motorcycle carriers are overkill.

So with some digging I found a small company that hand-makes a Class I hitch carrier for small motorbikes. Don't be fooled by the Web 1.0 site - they are real. I ordered and they shipped out the next day.

Works beautifully.

IMG_20191027_163118.jpg
IMG_20191027_163323.jpg

Looks like it could be a foot shorter on the passenger side.

john cervini /

I would definitely cut it down a bit but that looks perfect. How long did it take for shipping?

maybe 4-5 days. i think there's a bit of wide angle effect going on, as I measured it as only about 6" wider than the car.

also keep in mind that the unpainted one is actually bare metal. i assumed it would be clear coated, but it ain't so ya gotta do that.(edited)

> john cervini Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I would definitely cut it down a bit but that looks perfect. How long

> did it take for shipping?

Looks to me the front wheel catch should be to the right for better balance .

This is a good thread: https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,4244475 It has a photo of my 1 1/4 hitch moped carrier.(edited)

They make adaptors for class 1 to class 2 hitches. Ive seen them. That opens up several doors. Dont know about class 3 adaptors.

Double Trouble Dan /

The adapters do not work out well. The weight is too far out and the bottom of the carrier will scrape the ground when you go up any rise unless you have new rear struts.

Been there , done that.

Overpriced Parts /

So sorry for you some kind of minivan!

/\ huh?

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> So sorry for you some kind of minivan!

What you wrote is not coherent

Are you so sure that Hobbit weight is actually 100 lbs?? And the hitch is bolted to.what?? I tow.a.fair.amount of.stuff to.go.camping.with.a.huge.truck and I'm not.trying to put.your.solution down. or.anything. What u don't ever want is a.hitch failure.at.speed.because.the consequences to.vehicles.behind you are.extraordinarily severe.

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> Are you so sure that Hobbit weight is actually 100 lbs?? And the hitch

> is bolted to.what?? I tow.a.fair.amount of.stuff

> to.go.camping.with.a.huge.truck and I'm not.trying to put.your.solution

> down. or.anything. What u don't ever want is a.hitch

> failure.at.speed.because.the consequences to.vehicles.behind you

> are.extraordinarily severe.

And , don't fall asleep at the wheel , like using periods instead of spaces . ;)

My fingers are too fat. Thank Google for designing a keyboard for 14 yo Asian fingers

I pulled a whee trailer with 2 mopeds from virginia to new orleans with a 5dr yaris. Shouldve installed sway control... it didn't wanna pull straight...Hitch rack is definitely a better solution but you should consider upgrading your rear suspension.

The hitch receiver bolts directly to the frame on a yaris.

I hauled 600lbs (concrete bags + trailer) a very short distance at 25mph. Brakes were definitely not up for going faster.(edited)

So a six hundred lb trailer has a measurable tongue weight which is equivalent to about 1/5 to to 1/6 gross weight of the trailer loaded. I'm usually seeing these discussions on the RV forums I also read. Usually all sorts of I don't believe this stuff is abundant. And when u say on a Yaris it's bolted to the frame ....usually peeps say ...frame ??? On a Yaris .... Is there really a "frame"?? I assume on the inner driver's door might be some info as to what is it's carrying potentials. So I'm thinking that the moped plus the rack could easily top 250 lbs but maybe not. "upgrading your suspension" on a Yaris !!! Good luck. Again I would say get a small trailer if you have to. But free advice is often worthless

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> My fingers are too fat. Thank Google for designing a keyboard for 14 yo

> Asian fingers

Ha . Just grow your finger nails and file them to a narrow enough 'point' . LOL

One of those dirt bike carriers you can get cheap online and just dock the 2" tube (they are way too long anyhow) and throw in a 1.25' tube sleeved into a 1.5" piece as an adaptor.

BikeCarrier1.jpg
BikeCarrier2.jpg
BikeCarrier3.jpg

The dry weight of a hobbit is around 120 lbs. The carrier itself is 45 lbs. So comes in under 200 :)

I threw catuion to wind with yaris trailer; I averaged the canadian and european towing specs. It was a 4x4 ft trailer with a short tounge. I don't recomend this setup as it wasn't very stable... even on bigger cars that short tounge trailer wanted to wobble.

Hey I'm not trying to be a Grinch over this. First thing to do is to measure the distance from the bottom of the bumper to the ground of the car without anything on it. Then install the rack and the moped. Hopefully that measurement doesn't change at all or at most an inch. If it does sag then I wouldn't drive more than 40 mph on flat smooth roads. If it doesn't well that's somewhat reassuring. The rear axle has some kind of weight rating but whether or not on a vehicle not intended for towing it's on the interior of the driver's door is a guess. "Beefing " up suspension on a truck usually means air bags ON A SOLID AXLE . Usually cars have independent rear suspension not solid axles. And in the world of towing as in RV s unless you actually replace the rear axle and get it certified , the legality doesn't change ....yes I know you will say u aren't from over regulated California. But if you do anything that violates the rules and.somebody gets hurt ...it's your fault and not.necessarily covered by your auto Insurance seeing u modded something that specifically isn't supposed to be modified.

Did someone mention bags? Firestone makes the best. On board compressor makes adjustment on the fly a breeze.

20150505_140610.jpg
20150506_141433.jpg

I totally agree. I never looked up insurance. My car was paid off and on liability only(VA required minimum).

I doubt California is much different than the federal towing regulations. In europe, you can tow a small camper with a yaris, in canada a small utility trailer, is us nada.

Can you put airpags on a subcompact? Thats a good idea cause stiffer shocks/springs make for a harsh ride when not loaded down.

15727344795827367803613783316143.jpg

I've never seen airbags on anything but a solid axle. But I've never looked. These are mine. Right now there is zero air in them. When I tow or haul I put 80 psi into them. That raises the bumper when loaded on my 29 hfs about two inches and back to where the vehicle is level. The tongue weight of the bumper pull is at least 1200 lbs. I use in addition torsion bars and an anti away device, electric rear brakes and the whole shebang scares the hell out of me but I've never had the now 55 ft rig drift or sway. Pulling or hauling things is serious shit and I urge caution. Even if it's a little itty bitty moped.

I took mine and shortened it for a moped's wheelbase. Welded all the left over parts to build 4 tie down arms with eye bolt. I also added a 1 1/4 adapter for my hitch after shorting the 2 inch end so it wasn't sitting so far out from the rear of my car.

quick update. drove 1300 miles around Christmas with a Grande strapped to the back of my class 1 hitch carrier. including some dirt roads in very rural NC. no problems at all.

IMG_20191219_132556.jpg

What kind of decrease in MPG did you see?

I'm thinking about adding a auxiliary trailer light for braking since the moped sorta hides the rear end

I just bought one from the link mentioned by Joey P.. Much appreciated Joey. I think I should now be able to carry three mopeds in my Ford Transit Connect high roof van.. the normal two inside and the third out back on the rack.. getting ready for the February swarm in Tampa.. LOL(edited)

Can you explain what you did again? Did you saw off part of your carrier then weld a sleeve onto it to make it a class 1 carrier. If so it's a good idea. I just use the adapter for now. I'm slightly over tongue weight.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account