1979 Puch Maxi winter project

Jeffrey Strichart /
20191030_162432.jpg

I am finally able to start my winter Puch project (I had been ill.) I bought as a non running project but a clean ride with a clean gas tank. I did get it running but not very well, although I managed a baseline speed of 23 mph. The first part of the project is to get it running good. It was hard to start and bogged pretty bad. Right off the bat was a leaky Bing 12mm. That, combined with the bog, told me to get a carb rebuild kit. I did, and removed the carb only to find out that the leak was at the fuel inlet and could not be repaired because the fine threads on the carb body were mostly gone. So into the trash with it and replaced with a cheap clone just to get it running. So now it runs but poorly. Upon checking spark I could see that it was weak, mostly white and jumpy. So my next project is to go through the ignition system. I bought a new coil, points/condenser, plug and spark plug wire. Also a flywheel puller. Then I have to time it which I am not proficient at but between you guys and the wiki and Travis I will get it done right. So that is where things stand. Ignition may not the most exciting part of the build but I will document it with photos like everything else I do on this project. For those who don't know my goal is 60 mph from 50cc. I only have 37 left to go lol. This picture is from the day I got it. Thanks for your support.

Re: 1979 Puch Maxi winter project

Angry Hipster /

Get yourself some feeler gauges if you don't already have them and make sure you get the right ones that are small enough to work with measuring your point gap.

Also it sucks about the bing, the fuel bowl, atomizer, authentic bing jet, float, slide, choke were probably still good. I very rarely throw away moped parts just because you never know when you need them.

If you decide to throw away the stock air box send it to me first, lol.

That tossed Bing likely could have been saved by using a slightly bigger screw .

Jeffrey Strichart /

Sorry I was just coining a phrase there. I did not physically toss it in the trash. I put it with all of the other bits and pieces that we motorheads accumulate. Where the stock air filter and hose are...

Jeffrey Strichart /

> P D Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> That tossed Bing likely could have been saved by using a slightly bigger

> screw .

No because it is a special fitting. It is the part where you connect the fuel line from the tank to the carburetor.

> Jeffrey Strichart Wrote:

> > P D Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > That tossed Bing likely could have been saved by using a slightly

> bigger

>

> > screw .

>

> No because it is a special fitting. It is the part where you connect

> the fuel line from the tank to the carburetor.

There's always more than one way around a bush . They do make different size banjo bolts . And , if you can't find one , they are pretty easily made . ;)

Angry Hipster /

Cheap lesson to learn I guess. . .

Jeffrey Strichart /

The bolt has a hole in it for the fuel. Where would I get a slightly oversize bolt with a hole in it? And why anyway, it is not going to be used in my project or by me in any other way. If anybody wants it just pay shipping and you can have it. First pm.

Find the bolt you want to use , then drill appropriate holes in it .

john cervini /

I don't understand why you keep starting new topics rather than add to your original 1st or 2nd postings. Very confusing.

Jeffrey Strichart /

> john cervini Wrote:

> I don't understand why you keep starting new topics rather than add to

> your original 1st or 2nd postings. Very confusing.

I am sorry John. I became Ill and could not start on the project when I wanted to and the thread got really long with no actual work on my part or new photos. Sorry for the confusion. I am actively working on it now.

Jeffrey Strichart /

First thing I did today was swap the bars. I liked the z bars but they were too low for my aching back. These ones you see are like the ones on my VMAX and I love those.

Then, to try to fix my weak spark I swapped out my coil, wire, boot and spark plug. Now I have NO spark. F$ck. I redid all of my connections and still no love. I have a treats cdi pack laying around so I think I am going to try it. I have never installed one before but it seems easy enough. Famous last words. I hope not. I hate working on electrical stuff.

I pulled the flywheel with the tool you see in the red box. Worked great. A flywheel puller to pull an e50 flywheel is like $16 or so. The whole kit was $19 on eBay. It's a no brainer. Thanks for reading.

20191101_122401.jpg
20191101_115303.jpg
20191101_113602.jpg
20191101_122401.jpg

(edited)

Angry Hipster /

That flywheel puller set seems sweet. I bought the lone one and now kind of regret it.... live and learn I guess

Jeffrey Strichart /

> Angry Hipster Wrote:

> That flywheel puller set seems sweet. I bought the lone one and now kind

> of regret it.... live and learn I guess

Don't sweat it, it's only a few bucks.

Jeffrey Strichart /
20200924_212729.jpg
20200926_191638.jpg

I finally completed the build. Well 99% anyway because I am waiting on a few little parts from treats. It is still 50cc. Here are pictures. It has not been tested for top speed yet.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

You sure you don't want to make a 4th thread?

Jeffrey Strichart /

Those threads are almost a year old and I didn't know who was posting to what so I just replied to each one. Why do you care anyway?

That looks super clean

Jeffrey Strichart /

Thank you!

Mark Younggren /

Where you get the blue fuel line from.....treats?

Jeffrey Strichart /

> Mark Younggren Wrote:

> Where you get the blue fuel line from.....treats?

*No, ebay.

Mark Younggren /

I like the color. Is it $5/ft including shipping? That’s the only one I found with 3/15 ID. But that pretty expensive.

> Mark Younggren Wrote:

> I like the color. Is it $5/ft including shipping? That’s the only one I

> found with 3/15 ID. But that pretty expensive.

Maybe just run clear hose and use blue colored premix oil . ;)

Dirty30 Dillon /

I always choose my fuel line for the color.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> I always choose my fuel line for the color.

That might be less expensive than using colored oil . *~*

Jeffrey Strichart /

> Mark Younggren Wrote:

> I like the color. Is it $5/ft including shipping? That’s the only one I

> found with 3/15 ID. But that pretty expensive.

I don't remember the price but I only bought one foot so it wasn't too bad.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account