My Magnum with LED lights

Bad Cadillac™ /

The Puch headlights just downright dangerous at night. At idle it puts out next to nothing.

Trying everything with the stock incandescent headlight bulb, I finally was able to run all LEDs instead and what a huge difference it makes!

Plug and play, no regulator.

Only drawback is the taillight stays on when the headlight is on but that doesn't bother me since the headlight is always on. (edited)

20191028_214430.jpg
20191028_213159.jpg
20191028_213149.jpg

Re: My Magnum with LED lights

Where'd ya get 'em?

Why wouldn't you want yer tail light on with the headlight? Does the brake light work brighter than the tail light?

Bad Cadillac™ /

> Potr zebie Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Where'd ya get 'em?

I got the LED speedo bulb at super bright LEDs - 12 volts a long time ago but it looks like they don't carry as many auto LEDs anymore. I just looked at ebay and they are there though.

The headlight on ebay it's a PAR36 bulb, 10-80 volt DC and 12-24 volt was also listed like this "12-24 volt ok". I took that as 12-24 volt AC. So in other words, it's both AC and DC compatible.

The tail light bulb I got at my pinball LED store Cointaker LEDs since I'm into pinball and have converted my machines to LEDs. https://cointaker.com/products/1683

On my bike I had to change the tail light because with just the headlight LED, the tail light bulb filament was just an orange glow and not seen.

Everything was plug and play. The only thing I had to make was a trim ring for the headlight since it was a tad smaller then the original. I made it out of two worm screw clamps, clamping it around the bulb. If you want a pic of that I can take it for you.

I'm sure I'll probably refine some things on the headlight fitment as time goes on.

Bad Cadillac™ /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Why wouldn't you want yer tail light on with the headlight? Does the

> brake light work brighter than the tail light?

I made a typo and it was too late to edit it. I meant to say the tail light stays on when the headlight is off. I'm sure I could figure out something like put a resistor in place to stop that from happening but for now, it's good. Possibly a regulator would stop it too which I do have and can try one day.

The brake light of course still lights and has a reflector around it so it is bright and centered but I may try the other 1683 LED bulb I have in it too this weekend since I bought two of them. (edited)

Thank you a lot for this info. ! I hope to try it sometime on a Sebring, but is your Puch 12V while my Sebrings are 6V ?

Overpriced Parts /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Thank you a lot for this info. ! I hope to try it sometime on a Sebring,

> but is your Puch 12V while my Sebrings are 6V ?

No it’s 6v but i’d like to see how his set up lasts long-term on fast kitted bike

Dim stock puch lights can be corrected by setting air gap on coils closer to flywheel.

All my puchs have stock lights bright enough to see fine on the dark unlighted country roads out here,

Pictures are at 1/2 idle speed that bad Cadillac is showing but some needed detailing for the airgap was way out of factory spec,

The 78-82 puch 6wire set up is great because you have a coil for each individual light, head, tail and brake light, the older 5 wire does too but it’s not as good,

No other Moped has that great setup so why not take advantage of it and detail/blueprint it for perfect lights,

Also headlight bulb selection is very important so try to find a headlight bulb that has the filament in the middle of the lightbulb not crooked to one side and you’ll have a nice straight beam that goes a long distance,

So many people trying to fix something that isn’t broke just because they don’t know how to work on what they have wasting time and money when everything was engineered perfect from the get go

A928129E-F6A6-4068-BF57-A97717424EB7.jpeg
97599445-BCAC-4535-AA35-F9C06EDC379F.jpeg

Bad Cadillac™ /

> Don Ohio Wrote:

> Thank you a lot for this info. ! I hope to try it sometime on a Sebring,

> but is your Puch 12V while my Sebrings are 6V ?

Thanks and my Puch is a 6 volt system.

Bad Cadillac™ /

To each their own Ken but the Puch made light you could ride with when moving but it still lacked.

The Puch tail light was never an issue for me. Not sure what your 1/2 idle comment means though?

My Vespa Si lights didn't need any adjustments, just needed a broad sealed beam change instead of the spot sealed beam it came with. I changed it out and they're nice and bright now.

In the end there's nothing wrong with improving the lights to nice white light which sure beats a Puch light bulb that's really pretty much the same bulb as a back up bulb found in an older model car.

That same could be said for what you say as to why do we mod or kit our bikes when they were good from the beginning right?

I've got LEDs in all my cars, house, snowmobile, pinball machines and snowthrower. So you can see, they're a good thing!

As fast as longevity and the LEDs in the Magnum, so far so good and I'll report back if there's an issue! My Puch is not stock, you just milled the head for me in fact, but it's not kitted.

Overpriced Parts /

Stock cylinder Xk just with pipe and Complete stock lighting system With an idle 1/2 of your rpm, picture taken but maybe 45 minutes ago!

99F6CD95-616D-44C2-94BC-09125AE75549.jpeg

Yeah a feeler gauge and or new bulb is so much cheaper what you had to mod and to go through and the stock puch system lasted 41 years including some stock bulbs that last thatlong,

Enjoy going Sparkless, lightless, and coils blown because your redesigned non-regulated Chinese made system will never last 41 years ever,

You don’t live that far away, come over some time have a good time because my son and I are car guys too (he has a cobalt ss that goes 113 in the traps and Beats a challenger 465 hp scat pack on the top end)

I’ll show you what I’m talking about on the dark 1 mile long with curves and hills private tuning road!

The 1,6 Mazda wagon we got going from 62 to 80 mph on the same private road within one week with exhaust and tuning changes, damn I’ll miss when I don’t have this private tuning road no more

Bad Cadillac™ /

Yeah maybe one day I can. My parents still live in Solon.

Bad Cadillac™ /

As mentioned above, I had a regulator and now installed it.

More pics and vid at idle in total darkness. Pics with brake light on/tail light on and then brake light off/tail on

(edited)

20191101_190113.jpg
20191101_192045.jpg
20191101_192030.jpg

Bad Cadillac™ /

Pic at idle on the side of my house.

20191101_191848.jpg

Double Trouble Dan /

I use these in my 6 volt CT-90 and have several i will use in the mopeds when my rectifier comes in .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6V-to-30V-P26-S-24-SMD-LED-White-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Headlight-Car-Bulb-Lamp/401821220851?hash=item5d8e693ff3:g:lIEAAOSwr7Nc2OIs

led6v.jpg

Bad Cadillac™ /

Looks like a good option Dan.

Double Trouble Dan /

I just soldered a wire for the + and another to the - with spade or bullet connectors depending on the bike. You can either epoxy it in the headlight shell or drill it and press it in.

This is a great option on sealed beams . Instead of spending $$$$ ($25-50 on the ct90) on a new one , I just heat the solder until the old lamp is free. Then I break out the old glass lamp and pour it out of the sealed beam. Add my $2 lamp (plus a $1 rectifier) if needed and its ready to go. I am going to try a Capacitor on the negative side and see how much brighter it is on bikes like our bosch magneto's.

No more flickering or lights getting brighter as the rpm's go up.

Plus its brighter and whiter than an old 6v lamp ever was.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account