1981 C70 having a hard time down shifting in to first.

Gus Gonzalez /

Hello Listers,

The last time I rode the Passport I noticed that every time I had to come to a stop and down shift at low RPM in to first I had a hard time getting it in to first. A couple of times during this ride I notice that I was taking off from the stop in second when I thought I was in first gear. Why is the bike having a hard time getting into first when it has never had this problem before? is there something I can do with the tranny? It is a real pain when you think you are in first and you go to take off and it is in second. Holds up traffic.

Thanks

Gus G.

Re: 1981 C70 having a hard time down shifting in to first.

Could be a bent fork or wore out shift drum. Tried changing the oil yet?

First, check trans fluid quality and quantity.

Otherwise...

Open side cover and look see the shifter mechanism, you will see the star [6] that is moved by the gear shift ratchet [11] and the position of the shift drum [5] that moves the gear forks [1,2]. The star [6] is held in position by the drum stop lever [8]

If the bike is shifting normally except for 1st gear it could be the the star [6] is worn, stop lever [8] is bent.

If all that seems okay then suspect the cam grove follower pins [3] worn or the drum's [5] cam groves worn. The pins are supposed to be sacrificial and wear before the drum grooves do, either way is is a pain in the butt to get to them.

Shifting.jpg

Pushrod Fifty /

Try adjusting the clutch. The shifter actuates the clutch just like a manual bike along with the centrifugal part of it. Also make sure your idle is dropping when you let off the gas. Dont pull it apart until youve tried.

> John Maxson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Try adjusting the clutch. The shifter actuates the clutch just like a

> manual bike along with the centrifugal part of it. Also make sure your

> idle is dropping when you let off the gas. Dont pull it apart until

> youve tried.

This^^^ first. Be sure clutch is adjusted correctly and working. Typically clutch cables stretch slowly over time and use requiring periodical adjustment. Next check oil quality and quantity. Oil will break down over time and not be as slippery. (edited)

Jeffrey Strichart /

Clutch.

Pushrod Fifty /

No cable on c70 clutch. Depressing the shifter either direction turns a cam that pushes the clutch pin to disengage the clutch. At idle the centrifugal part of the clutch disengages. You can buy a CD of the service manual on ebay for cheap. Tells you all you need to know.

Gus Gonzalez /

Hello Listers,

Thank you to all that replied to my post. I will check the suggestions given and let you all know what I find.

Thank you again,

Gus Gonzalez

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account