Re: purple pain, full rigid maxi build

Not that it's a bad thing ( actually a good safety feature ) , but how/why is the headlight 'flickering' on and off ?

LED, lining up with the camera's frame rate. probably dont notice much flicker in real life.

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

yeah, only really noticably flickers at idle. leds will almost always look choppy in videos

I hadn't noticed that phenomena before .

Learn something new , every day . :)

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

well, I started a new job and was working 6 days a week, so didn't have much wrenching time. then all the stuff happened and I found myself with too much time. except I was spending it playing a bunch of path of exile with my little brother rather than in the garage, but today I went and knocked a few of remaining things off pp's list.

mainly, I needed to mount the voltage regulator and rig up some kind of housing or bracket or something for the tail lights.

I really didn't wanna put the v reg on the side of the bike and ugly up the thing, so I decided I'd rather run wires and mount it under the seat. there was a spot just behind the kill switch that looked like it would work well, so I made up another bracket and welded it on and that was that.

for the taillights, I picked up a 5 pack of these 3 wire LEDs a couple weeks ago and 3d modeled up a housing, however my computer's hard drive took a dump and I lost all my slicer settings for my 3d printer. not really feeling like tackling that job right now, I just made something out of metal.

I used some of the leftover fork cutoffs from the rear struts and stuck the whole thing on the back of my subframe thing.

this wasn't my first choice for placement, but after a bunch of hemming and hawing, I decided it made the most sense.

IMG_20200324_174112.jpg

you can see the v reg behind the pull chain kill switch. it's not wired up yet.

IMG_20200324_174122.jpg

it's not pretty, but it'll do!

IMG_20200324_174642.jpg

I also upjetted a bunch. I wanna make it four stroke and work backwards rather than work from a lean condition, so I have both carbs in the low 80s right now. I'll post up where I end up with jetting once it's all ironed out.

k bye(edited)

I would've just used one of those bmx brake splitters. Other than being rigid, looks like a dope build. I guess if TdF riders can ride 30+ mph down hill on road bikes, a mopes will be just as fine.

I'm with you keeping pedals on a moped, which is killing me because I want to swap out the 1speed noi on my ssxl for maybe a 125 dirtbike engine, or convert the whole thing to hydrostatic or something.

> Daniel '' Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> How do harleys work. Seems like some sort of weird shit going on. 2

> rods, one crank super shitty output for their displacement and some how

> lots of torque? The fast ones still sound like a bunch of farts inside a

> sewer pipe.

72° firing order I think. I think Ducati vtwins are a bit more, same for Hondas and Yamaha.

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

> Jax Rhapsody Wrote:

> I would've just used one of those bmx brake splitters.

the bmx ones don't have enough pull for a throttle, even with little 14mm bings. plus i made my own for free from garbage, which is more to my taste anyway.

Pipe stinger tip needs one of those lil smoke stack flappy tops to keep the desert rain out

Love this build thread

derek from black pipes moped gang 🌧 /

Gosh damn you build some great trash. I had considered using a freewheel for a coaster brake but I could never quite figure out how to do it. Now I’m definitely going to use that on all of my bikes. That giant front sprocket is also very sick. I love to see a moped build that has effort put into the ped part and not just the mo part. Great job tdc!

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

thanks derek! when I went through the hassle of putting pedals on the vx4, I had people asking why I didn't just run pegs. true it would have made my life a lot easier, but it's a moped!

the freewheel coaster brake works great, but you can't roll the bike backwards without lifting the rear of the bike in the air. it's a little annoying, but totally worth it for the skids!

no groms no blasters /

how hard can you stand on the brake to get those skids? how hard do you need to stand on it to get skids?

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

doesn't take much at all, feels just like my old sachs coaster brake. leverage can be adjusted by using different sizes freewheels on the crank arm, but I don't know if it would make that big of a difference

no groms no blasters /

I was just imagining that little spring or the spring holder snapping off if a fatty like me stood up on it to get monster skids, but I'm just going off bicycle coasters that need that kind of weight to lock up

I am so inspired by this, perhaps more than any bike I've seen online, motorcycle or moped - why? because it's FUN. it's accessible, it's clever, it's outside the box. I dont want to copy it, but i'm consistently inspired by it and wanting to do more and more dumbness.

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

Steve, the spring slacks when you brake, it's really only there to keep the chain from slacking too much on that side of the freewheel when you back pedal. I just binged tiger king and my brain is mush, but I'll get a video later if the brake working to explain better

that's super rad, will! make more dumb stuff! feel free to use or better develop any dumb ideas I throw out there, otherwise what's the point?

no groms no blasters /

oh, I can picture that. of course that's how it works.

I still want video!

TIger king themed rally?

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

video for stever

I think I have the jetting close enough to start riding around. I have one jet in the 70s range and that seems to be where I need to be, so I'm currently running an 82 in one carb and a 64 in the other. I've said it a bunch, but it's worth mentioning again that jetting can be different between both carbs cos they basically work together to function as one carb. by the time the fuel/air charge passes through the reed block, it's just one big mess of fuel and O².

might still be a tad rich, but my timing is off since I had the stator out the other day to wire my lights. it backfired at me a couple times. also, lights aren't working yet. these are all projects for another day. spent a solid couple hours messing with the carbs and I'm good for the rest of today, haha.

I hate bings so much, no idea why I got myself into this. Oh well, I have to make it run well for at least one rally, and if I still hate it after maybe I'll throw a phbg at it. I'm probably gonna love it once it's working well tho, so we'll see.

I thought you were running an actual coaster brake on the pedal cog side of the wheel and wondered how that would work at speed on a moped.

no groms no blasters /

> terry dean Wrote:

> maybe I'll throw a phbg at it.

*two phbgs

> terry dean Wrote:

> I've said it

> a bunch, but it's worth mentioning again that jetting can be different

> between both carbs cos they basically work together to function as one

> carb.

this sounds like a goddamned nightmare, this was the exact situation i pictured when i saw that intake for sale the first time.

i do think progressive delivery could be super cool, like the jet in the 'secondary' carb is huge, but i have no idea how that would work in practice.

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> i do think progressive delivery could be super cool, like the jet in the

> 'secondary' carb is huge, but i have no idea how that would work in

> practice.

Maybe have a look at the Yamaha XT350 carb setup . Might give you a better idea of how dual carbs for a single cylinder works . But , I have to warn you that these are not identical carbs , as one is direct lift and one is diaphragm ...

These are my XT350 carbs :

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

I understand how it all works and it's not really complicated at all, just super annoying cos bings suck. I guess that's kinda harsh, they aren't that bad, it's just the thread on float bowl, and trying to get the float heights right so they aren't always leaking, and tiny impossible to read jets that gets old after a while. worse so when there's two.

but, like on any other bike with a bing, once you get it dialed it's kinda set and forget, so maybe it'll be awesome when all's said and done. weeeee'll see

ooh maybe you could use the the richer 1 ring needle in one carb and the leaner 2 ring in another and set the needle height for a progressive delivery...

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

just slap some small mikunis on it

even has a neat slide-scale for altitude adjustments

love that back pedal brake!

New mexico is not far from where I am. Hope to see this monster at a rally some place once all this weirdness is done.

Super awesome build! That back break is the best! I wonder if I can flip my pedal shaft around and do something similar since I am not running a pedal chain...food for thought!

Terry Dean is a Moped Army Treasure.

His brain works well beyond mine...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account