purple pain, full rigid maxi build

i haven't done a build thread in a long, long time. figured it's not too late to do one for my current project!

i recently found myself in santa fe new mexico and decided i needed a my own ride since it seems i live here now. im currently prospecting for goatheads, and to get patched in you gotta lead a ride on your own bike, that means my loaner maxi isn't gonna cut it.

the club graciously donated a beat and hacked up maxi frame, named purple pain by a previous owner, and allowed me to pull from the parts pile to make it go.

they had a set of maxi n rigid forks laying around, as well as a set of huge 2.75 x 17 dual sport looking tires, so i decided to kinda emulate my all-road bicycle and go full rigid with high volume tires and let those work as my suspension.

i had to forego the maxi swingarm to fit the tire, but there was a kromag sunchip swingarm kicking around that could clear, so I went with that.

here's the bike mostly done up before I worked out the rear struts -

IMG_20190922_133625.jpg

after a couple weeks farting around, i put on some bars and dug into the scrap metal pile and came up with a bolt on hard tail/seat pan thing. here we are with a mock up photo -

IMG_20191022_164746.jpg

here's what i ended up with. not too surprising, considering i'm the one who built the '404 engendering not found' race bike forever ago -

IMG_20191026_142019.jpg

i can't attach any more pictures to this post, sec

Re: purple pain, full rigid maxi build

the whole unit bolts to the frame with one of the seat post bolts and the rear rack holes, then bolts in place of the rear shocks on the swingarm -

IMG_20191026_142959.jpg

and with the tomos seat -

IMG_20191026_143102.jpg

as you can see, I've also added one of them big sprocket pedal shafts from treats and some knock off chester pedals.

i need to rig up a pedal chain tensioner and then I can pedal it around the driveway!

for the motor, I wish I could do a za50, but I have an e50, so it'll do for now. I picked up a kinda beat gila from will and it came with one of those wacky double bing intakes, figured I might as well; we gotta bunch of 14mm stock bings kicking around -

IMG_20191019_133813_805.jpg

i guess others haven't had an easy time with this silly intake setup, but im pretty sure I can make it work. I'll probably do a proma circuit hack and weld like my other maxi that's currently in oregon. stock points, stock 2 shoe.

hmm, what else?

that's basically all I've got right now. im still kinda collecting the other motor parts, but I wanna do my prospect ride soon, so I'll have this together soon. I hope. I'll keep this updated!

pretty tight clearance with the wheel all the way forward in the dropouts!

I’ve got a Murray pedal chain tensioner if you want it!

dang, for real? I was gonna make something from a road bike rear derailleur or something, but heck if you've got one

Cut off those little rubber frill thingys, I bet it will spin smooth.

E29C2ED6-0CB5-43A1-A578-83336E4861AB.jpeg

Billygoat 4 life.....

leave my tire nipples alone, ugp

Can’t wait to see this thing on the road

Wheel will self machine. Stoked to see someone get those double bings going. I was pondering hard on that kit(like I am sure many people were) but I did not need another project. I kinda saved a Treats reed kit that had similar nicksial damage. I put some muriatic acid on the spots, let it eat the aluminum a bit then chanfered the spots. Figured oil would pool in those spots. Kit ran fine and as far as I know it is still out in the wild somewhere. Also Puch lowers for struts is a great idea.

I like the og paint and fat tire look.

TOP GUN™ ANDY ⚔ (LSLB) ⚔ /

hell yea the double bings. we put that + the double tecno pipe on our raffle bike and it was sick. jesse from montreal won it, and i'm pretty sure he's still got it

> TOP GUN™ ANDY ⚔ (LSLB) ⚔ Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> hell yea the double bings. we put that + the double tecno pipe on our

> raffle bike and it was sick. jesse from montreal won it, and i'm pretty

> sure he's still got it

haha awesome, glad to hear someone made it work. the double techno is almost a given go-to with this intake, but I'm not gonna do it. they're too expensive and I feel like they would hang too low. plus, I like having a kick stand these days.

I'll probably cut up a proma circuit like I did on my za gila bike.

IMG_20190712_174350.jpg

plus the double tecno had a really silly T where it splits that I can't imagine being very good for performance.

true that

Jason ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) /

Dude this maxi is gonna be so SEXY! YES!

TOP GUN™ ANDY ⚔ (LSLB) ⚔ /

oh the double tecno sucks, I'm not suggesting you do it for real.

I love the supple tire suspension! xbiking style for sure

Aka boneshaker. Make sure your fillings are tight.

1869_boneshaker_bicycle_4.jpg

a pile of parts just showed up, hopefully I'll have some fun stuff to share soon!

decided to go a different, more stock direction with the bars, i love the quill stem set up. The bars are a little narrow for my tastes tho, so I'm gonna weld an inch or so of handlebar to each side.

IMG_20191102_142245.jpg

i need to get a flap wheel to bore the cases for the gila, as well as a few more odds and ends, but I think I have most everything. except clutch parts. I have the clutch itself, but no bell, bushings, circlips, starter plate, or even clutch cover, so I'll need to scrounge that stuff up soon.

IMG_20191102_144222.jpg
IMG_20191102_152318.jpg

i wish pictures could convey how rad these fat tires are on these skinny rims, i love it

IMG_20191102_152531.jpg

some more pictures from yesterday, didn't get one after welding and grinding, but you get the idea

IMG_20191102_171741.jpg
IMG_20191102_172926.jpg
IMG_20191102_183744.jpg

Anonymous User /
scootertrash

Yeah the tires are beast! I did one 3.25” on a 1.95 rim, looks a lot more solid too.

I'm so in love with this build.

Sick build. This bike looks great, good work.

Dan (high idle) Conway /

I gotta see this double bing setup in action my jaw dropped open when i saw that pic

working on the headlight mount for my two nilight whatever led things. brendan of the mosquito fleet had one on his blued up limited magnum at the national rally this year and I was like, dang. i need that. you can get two for like $11 on amazon.

dual carbs means dual other stuff, consistency is key!

i'm making a 2 part bracket that'll bolt to the stock horn and speedometer locations. 2 parts so that it'll fit in there without me taking apart the forks to install it.

IMG_20191107_144148.jpg
IMG_20191107_144119.jpg

it'll bolt in like this, bottom part goes through the lower part of the triple tree and bolts to the horn tab.

IMG_20191107_144303.jpg

top part will bolt to the top of the triple tree where the speed used to mount.

IMG_20191107_144313.jpg

and I'll have a bolt attaching the two parts together. then I'll figure out where I need the holes to mount the light brackets and that'll do it!

I'll probably do captive nuts on everything to make life easier. I would have waited to post until it was all done, but I gotta wait for the drill to make it's way home and ma only allows for hosting 3 pictures per post anyway, so I figured I'd update now and again later when it's all together

ALSO! thanks for all the love u guys, I'm glad you're digging my latest trash maxi build!(edited)

good enough! i need to angle them properly, but i'll wait until it's gotta motor and stuff.

shitty brackets

IMG_20191107_212225.jpg
IMG_20191107_212802.jpg

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account