How do THEY feel about your mopeds?

We are all here because of our love for 40 year old mopeds, but how do our significant others feel about our hobby?

My wife and 7 kids want nothing to do with them, which makes for a lonely hobby if you live in a rural area without other enthusiasts.

Share your stories about what your loved ones think about your moped(s). (edited)

Re: How do THEY feel about your mopeds?

Wife and 7 kids dont want anything to do with peds? ....wow thats gonna be a tough story to beat. Sorry man. Life experiences change people so there is still hope.

Beach Club Nick /

My ex girlfriend that I dated for 5 years feigned interest in riding them but was never that into wrenching. My current girlfriend is way into wrenching and riding. I spend so much money/time on mopeds my SO being not being interested in them/willing to learn about them is a deal breaker for me

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Wife and 7 kids dont want anything to do with peds? ....wow thats gonna

> be a tough story to beat. Sorry man. Life experiences change people so

> there is still hope.

My cat doesn't seem to mind them.

My wife started on mopeds about 17 years ago, but couldn’t handle all the vibration in her hands. Switched to a Vespa scooter and she’s a lot happier now. Two of my three sons rode mopeds until they got their drivers license. Showed no interest after that. I’m on my own when it comes to mopeds. (edited)

my gf likes riding smaller stuff but isnt crazy about how they (most mopeds) look. i scooped her this '65 yamaha U-5 3spd semi auto shifty 50cc (for $400 !!) and she LOVES it but wants to make it faster haha

it's fun to ride around town with my s/o and bar hop or go exploring...etc

U51.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

The GF is very happy to ride around pillion, but is very comfortable letting me have the hobby or wrenching and riding to myself, of which I am glad

Rebelle enjoys mopeds, not as fanatical as I am about them though. We live in rural CanadaLand and there are no other riders close by, but riding alone does not equate to loneliness in my point of view.

most of my circle of friends before mopeds don’t seem to get it lol. Still, I hound the fuck outta them to grab a bike and see how awesome it is. Last week I left work and bought a trailer park Tomos and handed it to my friend and told him to get to work and since then he’s been hooked. I think it’s intimidating for many and they certainly don’t understand it at face value but when you give them no choice but to try it out you can sometimes garner awesome results. When it comes to significant others though I’m extremely lucky to have my wife into mopeds and a member of our clurb

E2C19C01-7AFD-4DC1-83A7-64282E15F2DF.jpeg

My gf got my old red trac Liberty and rides it all the time, she rides it to work and we ride them to bars.

She murdered it out and put lower bars on it and new shocks.

Not much into wrenching but sits with me while I do it.

Murdered Out.jpg

My wife is amazing. She bought me my first moped after I mentioned I was sick of riding my fixie to work every day. Just a few months later she was 100% supportive when LGN approached me about prospecting and she made sure to be there when I was finally patched in. No interest in riding or wrenching, but she always comes out to our events and even helped out with the securing the catering for Philly Fun Fist 6 (which is now her official job in the club every year.) If there's a rally within a 5 hour drive from philly, she'll try her hardest to make it. I love her, the club loves her, and the community in the north east loves her. I couldn't ask for a better partner to be by my side through all this.

Angry Hipster /

My wife likes them. Since meeting me she has gotten to ride mopeds, scooters, a ct90, and a cub. I bought her a QT50 I need to get going for her. She wants to paint it purple and make it her own.

She humors me when it comes to wrenching, just like I humor her when it comes to her piano and singing and music. She does a better job of it though. I've kind of given up on showing her how things work and she doesn't try to teach me music anymore.

However she does like riding mopeds, and we've had some nice road trips going to pick up bikes, and I do enjoy listening to symphonies, so it all works out.

Even if she hated mopeds I don't think it would matter, there is more to a person than their hobbies.

Also, as far as the financial aspect I've managed to flip some bikes when we needed cash and now that money isn't as important she kind of leaves me to it. I don't really spend much on the hobby anyway. My goal is to have 2 or 3 stockish runners and leave it at that.

And the garage is in much better shape now that I've gotten back into bikes and I've left enough room to pull the cars in and repair them when needed, so that is a plus.

Oh and for awhile she was into chickens and we shared the garage while she was raising her chicks, hence this funny picture.

28954472_1912194235520247_5541727631924881211_o_1912194235520247.jpg

Oh and I try to not work on bikes in the kitchen or living room anymore, that's more of a bachelor thing. But I can't say that I haven't done it, She seemed cool with it, and even helped put the cylinder on while I was compressing the rings with my fingers, but I don't want to push it.

37835223_2106606069412395_3211958740756463616_o_2106606056079063.jpg

Also I have kind of drawn the line at rallys and gangs and such. I don't think she would like the wildness at all or understand the need to drive so far just to meet up. I'll continue with fixing up her bike and maybe some more regular neighborhood riding and then who knows, but probably not. (edited)

Jeffrey Strichart /

THEY don't mind because it occupies my time and makes me happy. I recently moved to PA and I don't know anyone much less a moped enthusiast.

Trent Anderson /

Wow.

I was hoping for horror stories, and everyone seems to have understanding SO's at the least, and full blown partners at the best.

I think that my wife's dislike for anything 2 wheeled comes from her interest (before college) and her career (for the last 32 years) in medicine. She knows how bad an accident can get.

I had two accidents in high school, one where I needed some stitches by my eyebrow because I wasn't wearing my helmet, and the other from a hit and run drunk driver, so I wasn't helping my cause one bit while we dated in high school.

On the other hand, we never have fun together unless it's HER interest. So bowling, hiking at the county parks, cycling, Indians baseball, either don't interest her or would require her to be awake and getting some physical exercise.

Other than starting a moped, as long as they run, the only physical thing you do is maintain balance, pull the brake lever to stop, twist the throttle to make it go, and turn your head to keep your eyes on the 4 wheeled idiots. My bikes aren't that noisy, vibration is expected, and I don't know how to control a sore hand from holding the throttle. I doubt I could get her to ride if it was on my bucket list and I had a day left to live.

It's an insignificant hobby that I enjoyed a lot while a teen and suddenly got back into big time these last 4 years, so my interest has been there for 40 years. I desperately would love to share it with the wife and kids and am saddened that they show no interest.

Angry Hipster /

"On the other hand, we never have fun together unless it's HER interest."

Ouch!

Then again I mean there have been times where I'm in the garage or riding and I would like her to be there just because I think she is missing out on some fun, but if she is happy playing Animal Crossing or listening to some music or something that's fine too.

You can still have a great relationship and not share hobbies together, or at least I think so, whatever that's worth, lol.

7 fucking kids? how do you have time for a hobby? or is making kids your hobby?

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> My cat doesn't seem to mind them.

Yep! :)

My boys would go on a ride if I asked, but they really aren't excited by mopeds. They didn't spend years riding a bicycle thousands of miles like I did, which MADE me crave a bicycle with an engine.

My girl is PISSED because I keep buying stocker bikes for her then "testing" them until they are broken, then sell them.

oopsie

My girl stopped being a bitch about it when she realized how happy this hobby made me.

I talked her into letting me snag a magnum by telling her the maxi was hers.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

They is the Housing Authority and they don't like it at all but if I put plates on all of my frames there's not a thing they can do about it

Trent Anderson /

The last kid was born 17 years ago, so that's a "hobby" that we both stopped quite a while ago, lol.

I don't know what it's gonna be like when the nest is empty.

> ***Vanilla Thunder*** Wrote:

> 7 fucking kids? how do you have time for a hobby? or is making kids your

> hobby?

this

Charles McCusker /

Ya my wife loves mopeds. I bought my first moped and she had to turn around and buy her own. She's not so good at wrenching, just not how her brain works and wasn't raised wrenching, but she'll be there while I do it. She went to her first rally this year and had way too much fun and wants to hit CBBG and more events next year. I keep buying more bikes and parts and she doesn't care. I just tell her all new bikes are hers, but she sees through the lie.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> > Bas Autowas Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > My cat doesn't seem to mind them.

>

> Yep! :)

Mine love the rubber tires so much that I made a scratching post from old tires headed for the landfill.

20190910_100807(1).jpg

Josiah Radebaugh /

CBBG is da stuff

If you're gonna be really into this hobby you gotta find someone that you have a good balance with. Back when i was doing the moped lifestyle thing full bore I had a few relationships that I tried to cram mopeds into, and it never really worked out.

my wife likes riding dubs, not so much riding on her own.

i think a big part of any relationship is keeping it fun for the other person. My wife likes camping and long ride/adventure kinda rallies, we did two 100+ mile rides this summer. She isn't into the 'drink yourself comatose for 3 nights' kinda moped rallies i used to go to, and quite frankly i'm old and they don't make sparks anymore so i'm ok with letting that go.

I think its a natural human reaction when stuff is bad at home to use mopeds to escape your real problems and focus on fake problems, I did that for years and now that i'm older and wiser mopeds fit into a more sustainable space in my life. I'm happier in general having made some positive life changes in the last few years and I don't feel the need to seek recognition and self worth by proxy. The mopeds? well i'll get around to them when i get around to them.

Chris - Bedford Quarterkicks /

I introduced my SO to peds when we were dating in the late 80s/early 90s. We liked to take multiple trips out to South Bass Island on Lake Erie and hang out at Put-in-Bay. The problem is when you took the Miller ferry over to the island, the drop off point was on the opposite end of the island from all the places one would want to go. The first year we went we rented bicycles to tool around the island, but the rental fees were, as you can imagine, rather exorbitant. We saw a few folks on peds and, having my old 1980 Tomos in the garage, decided to take that on our next trip. So I fabricated a buddy seat and threw some pegs on it so we could ride double. The beautiful thing is the ferry only charged you for a bicycle to take the ped across and that was like $5 at the time. Much cheaper than the $50 rental fee they charged for a bicycle. We took the ped with us on every trip until 1999 when she got pregnant, effectively ending our free-styling, island-hopping summer lifestyle.

Fast forward to this past summer when I was finally forced to clean out my shed and out came the ped. It didn't take much coaxing to get her to buy in on my idea to tear it down and re-build it. I think it was a sentimental thing for her. We have done a few short rides on side streets riding double, but since it's no longer permitted in Ohio I've been hesitant to do anything more than that. I'm hoping with a little encouragement over the winter to convince her to want a ped of her own. Now that our son is grown and off at college, we have a little more free time to ourselves and going on rides together might be something she finds enjoyable. I can only hope anyway. But at least she supports my hobby and hasn't balked at any of the expenses I've incurred getting the old bird back up and running safely.

1980 A3.jpg

> Grateful Nate Wrote:

> My girl stopped being a bitch about it when she realized how happy this

> hobby made me.

>

> I talked her into letting me snag a magnum by telling her the maxi was

> hers.

What a great woman! And great psychology with the step-thru.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account