What's the most effort you've ever put into buying a bike?

I've been trying to chase this guy down for over a week now. Last Thursday I finally got him to meet me, saw the bike, agreed on a price, higher than I really think the bike is worth.... He couldn't find the key. Friday he messaged me to tell me he found the key. Since then it's I call him, he's blah blah and will call me back. If it wasn't a weird and rare bike I really want I would have given up already.

Re: What's the most effort you've ever put into buying a bike?

If I really want it I never give up until I get it. Period.

Chöschi21 C.K. /

2 Years of asking was the most id guess.

Trash pandas!!!!

He’s lying. Already sold it to me.

Baron Von Hamilton /

> Titty Bats Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> He’s lying. Already sold it to me.

Not as much effort as I see some folks invest:

Distance YES; Chasing and begging NO.

I offer what a bike is worth to me if the bike seems over priced a little. I will tell a seller what I think a bike is worth to me if it is way high, but if they are insulted I just explain to them it is what it is in my estimation. I give them contact information if they decide after that my offer is good, but generally if a deal is going south then I just walk. Pandering and calling multiple times often gives the seller the idea that their bike is worth ore than it is and they hold out on the higher price, even after a handshake deal, due to greed.

I only go for orphans and failed projects anyway, so if the person is really throwing in the towel their price will be reasonable. I dont bother to talk down a bike that is priced right and I do keep folks in the loop if it has some sentiment (or they are just interested) when I refurbish, rebuild or whatever to get it on the road.

I have no time for any greedy BS because I would rather have a couple of affordable bikes than go deep in my pockets for a unicorn. I have built enough rare bikes to know that the fun starts after acquisition, so the budget is best to go towards the parts hunt than the initial find.

Alexandro Ramirez-Nagy /

What was the weird and rare bike that you were chasing?

Captain Janeway /

Had one shipped cross country like 12 years ago. I've loved that bike ever since. A gas tank so clean you could see your reflection in it.

Lee had a great story last wekend, something like a 3 hr drive, they couldn't make a time work, last minute reschedules, show up and the carb's at someone else's house, leaves and then they drag 'im back once they locate the carb

Dirty30 Dillon /

All the last minute, fortuitous buys I have made were accompanied by a great story.

The one's I tried hardest for rarely came through.

most for me for a personal bike. i saw the bike on a auction site for a local company selling odds and ends in pa. ( im in ga) . it was months after it was sold but i contacted the auction house and they told me it was sold to a couple people sorry. I pushed them and they gave me their name but that was all they had, I searched for them and found them later that month. fond them online and sent emails to anyone with the same name. finally got a reply that they had the bike. made a deal for cash, contacted my brother and made arrangements for him to drive a couple hundred miles to meet them and get the bike. then when i visited him in nj i picked up the bike. bike was a safari delux variomatic with the vertical motor and pedals . 287 miles on it, complete and all original.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

A couple months back I was about to buy a 500cc Kawasaki Vulcan (2003 if i remember right). It was only running on 1 cylinder and the battery was crap but the guy agreed to sell it to me for $500. Low mileages, and supposedly a clean title. Here is where it got annoying. So in ohio you must have a title notarized to sell. I asked him if i could see the title to verify the vin & see if it was ready for transfer... he got weird and acted like i was pulling a fast one. So im like whatever, lets go to the bank now so that we can have it transferred to my name... also i needed to pull the money out of the bank to pay him (i would have handed him the money once in front of a notary). He got weird again and said he wanted cash in his hand than ill get a title. I said look, i need to pull the money out and we need to have the title notarized; that all needs to be done at the bank. He wanted me to go get the money, than drive back to meet him at his house only to pay him and then head back to the bank to have the title done. I finally said screw it and left. It was annoying and i finally realized no motorcycle is worth this amount of aggravation.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’ve been very lucky the past 20 years. I never had to drive more than two hours to pick up a bike and about 90% of the sellers were straight up with me regarding condition, title, etc.

283862_245544628798718_961478_n.jpg

i have a handful of long and convoluted tales of negotiations, frustrations, aggravations and ultimately acquisitions, but as far as "effort" i once spent two weeks of calls, emails, personal visits, appointments with a funeral home director, executor of estate and finally a PennDOT messenger service/notary to bring this low mile Hobbit home and turn it into my son's first 40+ daily driver.

I know a couple dudes from Austin from Minecraft back in middle school, and one of them goes to Texas A&M. He wanted a moped, and would send me ads on Craigslist and ask for my opinion on the price/condition. One day he sends me an ad for an italjet KitKat that was complete except for the tail light for $250 I think. I told him I'd give him $350 to get it and hold onto it for me for a couple months until I could drive from Columbus to get it. He actually did it, so on "my way" to Denver (18 hours to Austin, then 16 to Denver) I stopped and grabbed it from him. It's one of my favorite bikes to ride but two years later and I still haven't fixed anything that needs fixed on it.

Overpriced Parts /

Never really any effort for my personal bikes (some found in a dumpster or a garbage day on the side of the road) and I try to keep it to a one hr drive one way to look at a bike and many mopeds, mini bikes dirt bikes/enduro bikes were almost handed to me for cheap as soon as someone had a problem with it/them,

But I’ve bought bikes for people I had to bargain for and swap meets, junkyards and closed repair shops for parts I’d haggle and hound for parts,

I loved it, I really did like going to a old motorbike shop, yard or meet and seeing the same tank, wheels, engine or bike making offers/new offers on stuff that was there sitting the week before or the week before, Almost every time they finally sold it to me.

Not now though, because most the things, bikes, parts I’ve bought then sold for reasonable price ended up on fleesebay or gaglist for 2-3x price,

Drove from Cleveland to Niagara Falls (3 hours each way) two times in 30 days last September for 3 V1 bikes, plus I found a 4th bike between those trips, and 2 More Motrons a month later to round out the color collection, so 6 peds in 60 days for around $1400 Three ran from the getgo and 3 needed major engine work that I still owe on. To say I went a little moped crazy last year was an understatement. I still send one Falls guy an update as its been a year and the motor should be good to go. I got a Intramotor-Gloria for $50 and it came with $200 in parts that were actually shipped from 1977mopeds.com. I figured it's nice to keep in touch with a guy who actually got his order filled.

Drive 3 hours, buy 6 bikes, sell 5 to keep the one I wanted

> Monti S Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> >

> i have a handful of long and convoluted tales of negotiations,

> frustrations, aggravations and ultimately acquisitions, but as far as

> "effort" i once spent two weeks of calls, emails, personal visits,

> appointments with a funeral home director, executor of estate and

> finally a PennDOT messenger service/notary to bring this low mile Hobbit

> home and turn it into my son's first 40+ daily driver.

Very nice!

I Took a 60mile round trip twice to pick up 2 step through tomos one almost had everything this was a nice 95 targa I paid 150. The other dint have a motor or mags paid 100 alittle beat up idk y I bought it. Then I got a complete used kickstart a35 engine like 20mins away from me for 100 not a bad deal.(edited)

Yamaha RX50. I want a shifty 50 but this has been ridiculous. I thought that since we’d met in person and made a deal it was done but he got even harder to contact after that. I sent him a text this morning telling him it happens today or I’m out. I have other bikes that want money spent on them.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account