In line battery wiring/charging off a magneto?

If I were to fit a moped with a 6-12v SLA battery for powering LED headlights, taillights, and signals, would my wiring sort of work? (As described below):

Magneto ->Rectifier->Regulator ->Battery->Components.

So my magneto with 6 or 12 volts AC would be rectified, then regulated to a stable 12/13v for charging the battery, this would go straight into the battery, and I would run my switches/lights straight off of the battery terminals.

Would this keep the battery charged? Obviously with a low power alternator I’d need to use some pretty minimal power components so that my battery doesn’t drain faster than it charges. I’m also wondering whether or not I need some sort of diode protection system after the regulator, so that the battery doesn’t start feeding power back into it. I assume I won’t as any decent reg should have a one way output anyhow. Doesn’t hurt to ask. And how do I know that electricity isn’t actually just flowing through the battery and my regulator output isn’t what’s powering the lights?

Thanks!

Re: In line battery wiring/charging off a magneto?

Overpriced Parts /

> Guthrie Mass Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> If I were to fit a moped with a 6-12v SLA battery for powering LED

> headlights, taillights, and signals, would my wiring sort of work? (As

> described below):

>

> Magneto ->Rectifier->Regulator ->Battery->Components.

>

> So my magneto with 6 or 12 volts AC would be rectified, then regulated

> to a stable 12/13v for charging the battery, this would go straight into

> the battery, and I would run my switches/lights straight off of the

> battery terminals.

>

> Would this keep the battery charged? Obviously with a low power

> alternator I’d need to use some pretty minimal power components so that

> my battery doesn’t drain faster than it charges. I’m also wondering

> whether or not I need some sort of diode protection system after the

> regulator, so that the battery doesn’t start feeding power back into it.

> I assume I won’t as any decent reg should have a one way output anyhow.

> Doesn’t hurt to ask. And how do I know that electricity isn’t actually

> just flowing through the battery and my regulator output isn’t what’s

> powering the lights?

>

> Thanks!

If a puch, then get a cateye turn signal unit and you don’t even have to use the turn signals if you don’t want,

2232F90A-EB5C-4D73-9BA7-623FCD663BE5.jpeg

Just one wire to the yellow light switch wire will charge the cells that are in it if the rest of handlebar mount is grounded but the sub c cells will not power a 21w head light for long but a low watt led light maybe and you will need 21w headlight bulb or 21w load you may overcharge and burn the cateye unit,

But the problem (really a advantage not a problem) is most puchs have three light coils that energize each other and does not use a regulator so the regulator is using the correct wattage bulbs, correct wiring, 21w headlight, 10w brake, 5w taillight Bulbs

1978-82 (1977 5 wire not bad either) years bikes Which is the best most reliable ignition and lighting system of any moped ever invented because it doesn’t use a regulator that can blow, it doesn’t use resistors that can blow or burn out, it doesn’t have that stupid safety feature if one of your tail lights burn out your lose spark,

But without correct bulbs or any bulbs voltages go to the roof so your own your own!

Aftermarket ignitions Yep you’re on your own,

Any other brand X Moped that has regulators, resistors all that other bull crap well then you’re on your own too,

Thanks roffman! I don't have a moped yet, still in the market, I guess I'm just doing some preemptive research. Do you have a wiring diagram you followed for your turn signal setup?

Dirty30 Dillon /

The Cat-Eye system is stand alone and batt op., so owning them to not use them is wild.

Your Stator to Component chain is fairly correct, not considering some aberration in particular units. Obviously, 6/12V will depend on the bike and what ignition you use.

Overpriced Parts /

> Guthrie Mass Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks roffman! I don't have a moped yet, still in the market, I guess

> I'm just doing some preemptive research. Do you have a wiring diagram

> you followed for your turn signal setup?

Search wiki for puch everything is there if you’re going to get a moped get a puch,

I mean I have bikes that have 40 some years old with original electronics, some Tomos and derbi are good too,

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account