Stock Puch Intake Differences/Restrictions

Angry Hipster /

So I'm curious as to all the different stock puch intake variances, obviously there is tall and short, round and square, 12 and 14mm.....but then there are restricted ones. . both 14 and 12, which respectively are 8 and 10mm.

How exactly are they restricted, is it just a plastic plug or is there something else used to restrict them? How can they be identified?

I know it's probably a simple question to the old timers, but these bikes are older than me and I never seem to run across them in stock configuration, just piles of parts and such.

Re: Stock Puch Intake Differences/Restrictions

the restrictor is a small metal plug under the intake manifold. it has a snap ring retention to a groove in the cylinder intake and is easily removed. the snap ring is on the metal plug.

the cylinder is a whole different story. its obvious where to remove metal to fix the intake port and port the intake. I used a rotary file on a hand drill.

probably should have not replied to this post since you don't want to be associated with me(edited)

nah, restricted intakes have a plastic plug in them. you can drill them out easy enough, or even burn them out. just don't want to get the aluminum hot enough to deform.

IMG_20191018_104728.jpg
IMG_20191018_104731.jpg

mine was a maxi.

stock intakes are plentiful and cheap enough that if you have an e50 just get the 'square port' 14 mm and be done with it, even if you have a high torque cylinder that doesn't match, it don't matter.

za's are a bit trickier, the 14 mm tall intakes aren't really 14 mm and they are pretty rare, i usually make my own intake but you can get aftermarket ones '#1 grandpa' that treats sells with a spacer plate.

the restricted cylinders i've seen have a pressed in steel bushing, never seen one with a snap ring, you gotta grind that sucker out and it doesn't cut good because its steel. you are better off just finding a new stock cylinder if you get one of them.

Bad Cadillac™ /

Graham,

My Magnum XK I believe was a 1.5hp but I know for fact it came with a 12mm carb/intake round port. Does that mean it has a restrictive cylinder?

It's got a 14mm carb/intake round port on it now but I just wondered about my cylinder.(edited)

nah the restricted bikes are rare, only the '1 hp' swinger 1, restricted market maxi (rare) and bottom of the barrel red free spirits

i don't think any magnums ever came with restricted cylinders, magnum cylinders are totally unique to magnums and as far as i know are all the same, only difference being 1.5 hp is the 12 mm and the rare 2 hp 2 speed on the LTD's with the super rare 14 tall manifold.

ken roff will probably chime in to tell me i'm wrong... i haven't actually owned any magnums ever.

Bad Cadillac™ /

Ok, thanks!

Angry Hipster /

So I just got an email back from the stock puch expert Shaun and he said this regarding the intake sizes:

Some are made narrower in the middle where you cannot see. Some have a restrictor tube pressed in. Some say 12 or 14 on the outside but they are really 8 or 10 on the inside.

There are other things like that, that are restricted in hard to see ways. The exhaust, the ports, the compression, the air filter. The intake pipe is just one of the things different on 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 hp versions.

If you make the intake pipe wider, that should not affect the jet size much. As more air is able to pass through the entire system, including the exhaust, more fuel is needed to maintain the optimum air/fuel mixture. Unrestricted bikes have bigger jets because of that.

I would guess if you changed just the intake from 12 to 14 the jet would need to be 1 or 2 numbers bigger.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So apparently there are "False" 12s and 14s out there that do not have plastic plugs but are actually smaller than their labeled numbers.

I have a "False" 14 according to the charts but can not see the restriction myself... But I trust Shawn's knowledge and I will just get another non bastard intake.

Maybe this info should be added to the wiki or something???

> Angry Hipster Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Maybe this info should be added to the wiki or something???

You can do that . It's what a wiki is ... anyone .

Angry Hipster /

Thanks, I'll have to read up on it. It may require it's own section. It's strange to me because I have a "14" intake that is a "8" I can't really tell though by looking at it. I wish I just knew a bit more about it or had some sort of picture before putting it on the wiki.

It is a very strange subject...

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account