Quick Trans Oil question

Josiah Radebaugh /

With a non detergent oil, how does viscosity affect clutch grab; wouldn't a lower viscosity oil (30w compared to 20w) to a point, aid in the clutch grabbing a little better?

Re: Quick Trans Oil question

I would not run any motor oil in a moped really! I get about 5000 miles out of evey set of cork clutch shoes running 9 0zs of automatic transmission fluid.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

> Mark Barney Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I would not run any motor oil in a moped really! I get about 5000 miles

> out of evey set of cork clutch shoes running 9 0zs of automatic

> transmission fluid.

You have a Tomos. He does not. His clutches are not lined with cork.

No disrespect, but If you give advice to someone, make sure you know what you’re talking about or you could screw someone’s bike up.(edited)

Dirty30 Dillon /

The viscosity will alter shift points, but in terms of SAE non-det I typically stick with the recommended as the viscosity and alter shifting with springs, etc.

I agree. That was my miscalculation! Thanks for the headsup i need to think first. My apologies. When im wrong im wrong.

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

> Mark Barney Wrote:

> I agree. That was my miscalculation! Thanks for the headsup i need to

> think first. My apologies. When im wrong im wrong.

I apologize for being so curt. I just don’t want to see someone screwing up their Italian moped by putting the wrong fluid in their tranny.

No harm no foul.

Motul transoil 10/30

Maitland Of the Loin /

20 w 50

Thicker oil dampens kinetic impact/energy and will extend the life of your components

Simple physics

> Maitland Of the Loin Wrote:

> 20 w 50

>

> Thicker oil dampens kinetic impact/energy and will extend the life of

> your components

>

> Simple physics

It's part of the reason why old motors do well with thicker oil . ;)

Josiah Radebaugh /

Probably should've specified, it'd be in a V1. I was just curious because I cant find 20w anywhere around here and was wondering how different a thicker oil would effect clutch grab.

What's the point in having non detergent?

Does is damage rubber bits or does it foam too much?

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> Probably should've specified, it'd be in a V1. I was just curious

> because I cant find 20w anywhere around here and was wondering how

> different a thicker oil would effect clutch grab.

>

> What's the point in having non detergent?

>

> Does is damage rubber bits or does it foam too much?

30 weight non-detergent will work fine too. Non detergent is the important part. The cleaning detergents in modern oils are designed to keep the dirt, carbon, and debris suspended in the oil so that it gets filtered out when it goes through an oil filter. We dont have sumps or oil filters on mopeds or older bikes, so we use non detergent, which allows all that debris to settle into a sludge that remains uncirculated in the bottom of the transmission/gearbox. That, and the detergents can be pretty harsh on the old clutch material sometimes.

I've used Shell ND30 that I've found at my local Advance Auto Parts, $7 a quart.

I've also used Motul Transoil 10w30 with good success in Minarelli V1

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

You can still get 20w ND but you have to buy it in a 2 gallon container at Tractor supply.

I use 30w non detergent in my V1. 20w is hard to find, but 30 you can usually find at Ace hardware. It's used in air compressors so it's easier to find it at a hardware store than at an auto parts store.

The V1 uses one pint. The oil check screw on the case is about 1.25 pints before it leaks out.

On mine if I fill it up till it drips out of the check screw, it'll leak out of the breather while riding.

So what I'm saying is, use one pint.

Detergent oils foam up, too. Which can destroy your seals, deteriorate your clutch pads, and blow out of your breather cap.

Charles McCusker /

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> You can still get 20w ND but you have to buy it in a 2 gallon container

> at Tractor supply.

I've found here in ohio that 20w ND is pretty hit or miss at tractor supply lately, but I've had very little issue finding it at every rural king, so that might be the ticket for the OP.

Josiah Radebaugh /

Alright cool, I don't really need a gallon of oil so I'll just pick up some 30w ND from the hardware.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account