Need an engine

So I have an early 80s Grycner trike and ive been neglecting it for few months now. I got it without an engine or drivetrain. I was thinking of turning it back into a 2 wheeler and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what engine I should put in it and what sprocket I guess? For the back. I'm new to mopeds so I don't know what's good and what to stay away from or what's reliable or cheap. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

20190714_103746.jpg

Re: Need an engine

I forgot to add I want to be able to reach 50-60mph

♣Slew Foot♣ /

2 Hellboy with that attitude you'll shoot your eye out firstly what kind of engine was meant to go on it and secondly how much do you weigh and how many Hills are there where you live I mean you could technically make a dragster out of a whole bunch of chainsaws if you know what you're doing

Charles McCusker /

> Irving Cobian Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> I forgot to add I want to be able to reach 50-60mph

that seems brave.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

What is your price range I mean anything could be done look at Batman he's the only superhero without any powers but money

Do NOT try for those speeds on that, engine it up with whatever, enjoy puttering around, or sell it, and buy something more suited to high performance, Puch/Tomos/Honda.

+1 to honda !!! variated engines ftw

if you get a hobbit engine and subframe, all you'll nee to do is weld some engine mounts up and the rear subframe has shock mounts for suspension that would go to the rear of your frame

i also have a V1 that i'd sell for $100, no spark but comes with a whole new stator

GL !

> Charles McCusker Wrote:

> > Irving Cobian Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I forgot to add I want to be able to reach 50-60mph

>

> that seems brave.

VERY

put a mower deck on it

> Potr zebie Wrote:

> put a mower deck on it

Maybe the best idea . At least he wouldn't kill himself , as quick . ;)

hold on, sounds like u want something that runs, just trade what u got for a runner on buy/sell.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

I was thinking of turning it back into a 2 wheeler

I want that rear end!

If you were a little closer up this way I’d be begging you to give me that. Don’t destroy that awesome trike! Trade it for something else easily modified like a Puch Maxi.

I live in a huge valley mountains all around but not very hilly in the center. I only weigh like 120

Josiah Radebaugh /

Woah 60! Better get you a 125 lifan.

If you're looking to go 50mph, get a lifan 125cc four stroke Honda clone.

If you want to go two wheels, sell the trike and buy a two wheeler.

c89622594b469099ff8339cd24a80b08_w200.gif

trueeee,,, trikes are pretty hot rn

I love The trike I think it's cool but I figure it would be awkward to turn. Especially in higher speeds. I would sell it but honestly where I live almost no one owns a moped it's really hard to source another one Down that is nearby. If I could get another one then I could just keep this one stock and put whatever it came with. Which I can't remember if it was puch or Sachs 50cc engine.

How are those 125 lifan engines are they good?

Jimmy Cincinnati /

How are those 125 lifan engines are they good?

If your talking about mounting it to the trike than just buy a motorcycle. It would be more work that whats its worth... unless you just have a passion for that bike. Id gladly give you a TTLX project i have for that roller if you werent like 2000 miles from me.

Best advice, sell it and put some money on the side and by a small MC.

I love the bike but it's just sitting I want to do something to it. I got it for free so it didn't cost me anything. I don't mind working on it I just need an engine. I also have a pair of ape hangers that came with the bike they're rad af.

If you do decide to convert that to two wheels for some reason, sell the rear end. But it is so much easier to just get a bike that's already two wheels, I can't stress that enough. I've wanted a trike for the last 6 years and haven't found one that was close enough and not too far gone, but I've owned 30-40 regular old two wheel mopeds in that time

That originally had a Sachs engine. You’re near Palm Springs, right? There are some moped folks there.

Not really actually, there's some people who ride scooters but it's really rare to see someone with a moped. I have a scooter too. According to the catalog I found my grycner moped was made for "palm springs living" which I thought was pretty cool.

Is there's upgrades that can be done to the Sachs engine?

Dang if you were a little closer I would have sold it to you. It sucks when you can't find a good project that you've been really searching for.

Jimmy Cincinnati /

Is there's upgrades that can be done to the Sachs engine?

Sure is...

https://www.treatland.tv/sachs-505-504-moped-parts-s/69.htm

Not really my ideal drive train to start with but you have options. The bad part of Sachs motors are the weak clutchs. 50-60mph is not really obtainable if your also looking for some sort of reliability out of that motor.

Whats funny is you want to make that bike a 2 wheel bike again... most of us want to take the rear end off it and put it on another moped to make a 3 wheeler. The value of that bike is the rear end, without it the thing is nothing more than scrap metal. Its just in too poor and missing 2 much to fix.

Won’t get much out of a Sachs other than good cruising in the mid 30s, especially with the added trike weight.

There’s a guy from here (Sacramento) that had a big hoard of mopeds and parts that moved out there and said that he knew a small group of moped dudes in PS, but I lost his contact of course.

ELECTRIC CONVERSION

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account