1977 Lazer 50 key needed

Does anyone have a #719 key they are willing to sell or copy/sell , i just picked up a Lazer 50 , was barn find no key unfortunately, also does anyone know if the steering lock key is generally same as tank? Luckily the steering was not locked when it was left

Re: 1977 Lazer 50 key needed

Overpriced Parts /

Easy to open without a key every time with a well placed small blade screwdriver underneath,

So find that spot while your trying to get a key

Thanks ill give that a shot, good thing is whoever parked this thing had taken petcock off so tank shouldnt have sludge.. any idea if the key for column lock is the same or different from tank

You can also just pull the pin from the hinge to get the cap off.

I need a cut key too. Are you sure its a 719 key? You can go to any locksmith (home depot or walmart) and get the #69 key. Its funny hearing people ask for it. It still has to be cut for the right specs thou. There is a more official fork lock key too but i forgot the part number for it.

Ok thanks finally got some spark, had to connect the blue coming out of engine to a light green-red wire , will have to figure out why eventually

can you be more specific where to place screwdriver, tanks mint dont want to damage

> jeff forty Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> can you be more specific where to place screwdriver, tanks mint dont

> want to damage

fork key is not the same as tank. if you look you will see the latch under the stationary bar from the front. you just push the latch back and it pops open. you use a thin straight blade screwdriver. ive also used a number of small keys, i.e. gun lock key, suitcase key, diary key, and had success. use little keys cut on both sides. ive got a gunlock key that has opened every general/lazer tank ive used it on. dont bother with removing hinge pin, its a waste of time, and you can break something.

Thanks all got the tank open/cleaned out, runs great after a rebuild of carb, now to figure out the electrical issue so all the lights work..

> jeff forty Wrote:

> Thanks all got the tank open/cleaned out, runs great after a rebuild of

> carb, now to figure out the electrical issue so all the lights work..

so how did you get it open? my first general took a lot of sorting out electrically to make everything work as it should. the serious bird nest of wiring took a lot of patience. the wiring diagram in the RIGHT manual, and some wiring diagrams found on line eventually made it happen. it truly was a nightmare however, different wiring diagrams (minarelli vs sachs), bad wires, blown fuses, blown bulbs, faulty rectifier, grounding issues, battery, blah blah blah. in the end it all worked correctly for a stinking month before it took a shit again. pissed off, i hard wired it with running lights, and regretfully sold it for what i paid for it $300. i now have 2 generals, and a lazer, and will never take on that shit again especially when its not need to be legal. they are all hard wired with running lights. done and done. the sad part about it all is 3 of 4 i've own/owned were minty, and it drove me nuts to not have them operating oem correct. just fyi ive seen quite a few generals/lazers, and not one operates oem as it should. good luck with it. show us some pics. they are my wife, and daughters favorite bikes.

I ended up just using one of them tiny kids paintbrushes not to nic the paint, from key side center just pushed it under cap and it popped open. Though id love to find someone with a #719 key to copy ill bet they are all the same. I wanted to get it running first before worrying about the lights, now that its running im ready to tackle the lights as id like to reg it to use it in the summer. I saw posts that battery is not needed and lights etc.. will work without just not as well if not pushing higher rpms.. before i get to into the troubleshooting i was wondering about that since when batter is not in theres a bunch of loose unplugged wires. Once i get lights sorted... i may have to make it faster! Ill upload a pic, cleaned up nice

lazer50.jpg

Mosts all bikes, the battery works as an accumulator and as a regulator,so when you are at WOT the magneto does not blow bulbs.

> jeff forty Wrote:

> I ended up just using one of them tiny kids paintbrushes not to nic the

> paint, from key side center just pushed it under cap and it popped open.

> Though id love to find someone with a #719 key to copy ill bet they are

> all the same. I wanted to get it running first before worrying about

> the lights, now that its running im ready to tackle the lights as id

> like to reg it to use it in the summer. I saw posts that battery is not

> needed and lights etc.. will work without just not as well if not

> pushing higher rpms.. before i get to into the troubleshooting i was

> wondering about that since when batter is not in theres a bunch of loose

> unplugged wires. Once i get lights sorted... i may have to make it

> faster! Ill upload a pic, cleaned up nice

Thanks ill keep that in mind, nice Batavus btw! Once all is working ill definately be swapping out the mirrors/handlebars for something cooler

14E3A4D9-BBFF-4D26-B99E-E3B3C5D3DAEF.jpeg

From left to right

1) general fork key

2) general tank key

3) gun lock key. Werks on every tank

4) suitcase key werks on two tanks

5) rando key I crudely cut but werks

With all do respect for wanting oem key. Lazer key oem had a plastic cover that has embossed letters LAZER. Good luck with that. Nice minty bike for sure!

the one that got away........what a dip shit i was for letting it got....for the record this bike was completely destroyed by the guy i sold it to......it literally no longer exists.....

Those are some clean ass beauts. Mines crusty...

B74A2438-0DD2-48F8-89A4-AB7D63FEA8BE.jpeg

Really need a stock General or lazer seat if someone’s got a decent one laying around...

> Chris Squid Wrote:

> Those are some clean ass beauts. Mines crusty...

>

> Really need a stock General or lazer seat if someone’s got a decent one

> laying around...

with sweet wheels!! i almost hate to indulge this info. i has a nos lazer seat from handy bike hoard, but will never let it go.

Thanks! Wheels are from the KTM Foxi. They’re great.

Yeah, NOS wouldn’t go for this one anyway. My pan is rusted out and mostly broken in half, so I am just looking for one that’s better off than mine since it’ll snap soon.

Nice one.. i used to have a Mint 77 KM 100 that i regretfully sold and regret years later

Thanks James ill see if they think they can get me a key with the code on there..

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account