Bought my first moped this week.

Bought a 1980 puch maxi this week for 450. Runs pretty good. Starts firt try every time. Even in 30 degree weather these past few mornings. Im looking into putting a kit on it this winter. I live at 6000 feet and was wondering if i should take that into account with parts? Im also considering just shipping the engine to a shop if possible. And having them do it. Im sure i could figure it out but would rather have it done right. I live in a pretty hilly town in montana. Not pictured but it came with the original seat and front fender.

Any advise is appreciated

20191010_183652.jpg

Re: Bought my first moped this week.

Jeffrey Strichart /

Jet larger for altitude. Anything with a carburetor will run leaner the higher you go. So you want a little more fuel. Don't worry about a kit yet. Ride it for a while and make sure it is running right before you start modding it.

That is my plan. Im going to ride it and try my best to get it running 100 % until the weather doesnt allow me. Then get to work. Want it ready in the spring

Overpriced Parts /

> Jeffrey Strichart Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------de

> Jet larger for altitude. Anything with a carburetor will run leaner the

> higher you go. So you want a little more fuel. Don't worry about a kit

> yet. Ride it for a while and make sure it is running right before you

> start modding it.

You got that backwards, less air less jet/jetting,

Rear wheel is wrong, front wheel needs fender or fork support or you will wreck,

This is my maxi II with polini kit, true rubber 4 petal reeds and 19 mm phbg 1 hp inside gearing and custom rear 31t rear sprocket

7F2397B6-49D0-4216-8667-8F5385973308.jpeg

Goes 0 to 55 in seconds and has for 11 years

Jeffrey Strichart /

> Overpriced Parts Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > Jeffrey Strichart

> You got that backwards, less air less jet/jetting,

>

YES I sure did get it backwards as I slap my forehead! Sorry about that! (edited)

Bad Cadillac™ /

Nice ride! Have fun with it!

You must do as Ken says here though: "front wheel needs fender or fork support or you will wreck."

Your options are: put the fender back on it or put the upside down "U" tube stock piece of metal back on it, it critical for stability!

Robert Linhares /

If you are looking for an excellent re-build, look up "rocket man" in Michigan.

Ask other people about his reputation.

I have the correct shipping boxes if you need them. Just ask.

Richard Eberline is Rocket man, in Troy Michigan. He's rebuilt a bunch of Minarelli V1's for me, and most recently a Puch Swinger. He got my Swinger with a 1.5 hp motor going 35 stock, then we kitted it with a better cylinder and pipe for a rally and had it going around 42 mph. The guy really knows his stuff.

I was just going to mention a build he did for a guy in Connecticut, but that guy is the previous poster!

Ship him your motor and in a week or two you should be riding again. (edited)

Just put the fender back on. Good thing i did too. The guy who had it before me put the nuts back on wayy wrong. The wheel was a few centimeters off center. The small nut was place on the wrong side. There was also a unnecessary spacer added in there. Could have been sketchy.

Thanks bud

. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account