Re: average age in mopeds

Old people...

> Bas Autowas Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Old people...

I suppose we could regress a couple hundred years and have everyone die by mid 30s . You know , before anyone knew anything . ;)

> Tony H. Wrote:

> But, I do turn heads when blasting through town on my '73 Puch 49cc

> motored thing! Both adults and youth stop and look at me going. :D

lol, I think this is my favorite thing about these old esoteric chunks of machinery... EVERYBODY has seen hogs and rice rockets but a moped? people stop whatever they're doing and heads turn a 270* arc.

no groms no blasters /

I'll make anything about city planning.

why get impotently butthurt about trump and pelosi when you can go to a local government meeting and actually make a difference!?

Cheaper rent means more money in people's pockets means more money people can spend on hobbies and less time wasted commuting means more mopeds!

also nothing is stopping anyone from just spiking white claws with 5-hour energy shots. the future is NOW

Agreed . There's always something more immediate .

Do you suppose it could have anything to do also with the fact that now we are hoarding them all? I was thinking about this from the steve brown moped monday podcast, talking about how the huge richmond community basically spawned out of mopedlar opening up his hoard and hosting some rides.

Also worth considering is that parts availability now vs 10 years ago when i was and probably alot of us were starting out, but it feels like the pool is smaller. Maybe theres more bikes being built by fewer people

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> Do you suppose it could have anything to do also with the fact that now

> we are hoarding them all? I was thinking about this from the steve brown

> moped monday podcast, talking about how the huge richmond community

> basically spawned out of mopedlar opening up his hoard and hosting some

> rides.

>

I have to admit that it was a lot of fun accumulating all those bikes 15 years ago, but it was a lot more gratifying passing them on to folks that would actually use them. I’m just happy that I had a small role in helping the RVA moped scene get off the ground with my bikes and annual rides.(edited)

I'm 35. I'm young to half of you and old to the other half.

My float bowl is half full.

> we are hoarding them all? I was thinking about this from the steve brown

> moped monday podcast, talking about how the huge richmond community

> basically spawned out of mopedlar opening up his hoard and hosting some

> rides.

>

> Also worth considering is that parts availability now vs 10 years ago

> when i was and probably alot of us were starting out, but it feels like

> the pool is smaller. Maybe theres more bikes being built by fewer people

I could def be guilty of hoarding, trying to thin the stable now

Also access to parts now vs then, some rare stuff has gotten harder to find, but on a hole its sooooo much better now, "im going to rebuild X motor" ope Treats has a party back for that

On the eve of my spawn date, as a 27yr old I can say that we have an eclectic age range of not only patched members and prospects but also community riders here in the burgh. Though most of us are in our mid to late twenties/early thirties, we have a member in his 60’s (only by human standards, frank is no longer composed of organic material and will outlive all of us) as well as several community riders that roll with us that push 60 and beyond, some of them being the most fun to hang with. And yet we also have had kids come around that were/are below drinking age. I’d love to see more young kids getting into it around here but I think it being a bigger city with more liabilities for kids on the streets and PA being a very strict state with moped laws scares a lot of kids off or at least their parents, hopefully those stigmas fade as the scene continues to grow.

Happy spawn date , Al . ;)

Ayo thanks P D!!

> we are hoarding them all?

definitely think this plays a role

> Joey P Wrote:

> > Born to be WillD Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Do you suppose it could have anything to do also with the fact that

> now

>

> > we are hoarding them all?

>

> definitely think this plays a role

I dont know how your local markets look, but everyday there are new bikes on FB market place around here, I pass on cheap bikes daily, but that could just be Ohio?

I guess its different everywhere. We have plenty of bikes to go around in Atlanta but not many new riders. Though I guess we don't advertise many of them on CL or anything. Between me and a couple others though we've sold off a handful of bikes in the past year with invitations to Tuesday ride. Nobody ever shows up. Maybe we look like nerds.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> Charlie BUZZARD Wrote:

> I'm 35. I'm young to half of you and old to the other half.

>

> My float bowl is half full.

I am 50% aroused.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Rethinking this I think I am actually 1 and a half in mopeds using an 86 and a 77

for me a big part of the 'moped boom' was about 2004,5,6 when 'the internet' happened and Craigslist reached old people in midwest towns. All of a sudden people had a zero fucks way to throw up junk for sale, prior to that you had to take out an add for 15 bucks or whatever to sell your stupid 100$ garbage moped, so you probably jut threw it away.

the first couple mopeds i bought were terrible deals, i had no idea what i should pay for them, within a couple years later i could buy all the nice clean maxis and pintos i wanted for 150 each.

now its quite a bit harder, ebay butcher fucks are snapping up anything cheap and poisoning the pool for people who think their shit is gold now.

but still, if you want it bad enough, you'll get it. i paid 500 for my first maxi non running with a rusty tank... ouch... but still worth it.

> Josiah Radebaugh Wrote:

> Very few younger people doing mopeds. Mostly because they require you do

> actually do something. I myself am 15. @Alex for some time was my first

> victim with Mopeds.

This Alex is a very true statement. I myself am 18; everyone else who I've seen in mopeds are children but in usually a grown adult's body.

Young n old are riding Honda Groms or Kawasaki z125 in SoCal. The price of em parts... I could buy a moped for the cost of aftermarket shock! I used to promote peds to the Ruckus / Scooter scene but gave up cuz the older I get... the more I like to ride by myself • Honest™

Maitland Of the Loin /

The same 10 people sell mopeds in NorCal

Occasionally a new one pops up

But this well is tapped dry for finding a cool bike

I’m 40 years out of high school.

Eisenhower was president when I was born.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> Rethinking this I think I am actually 1 and a half in mopeds using an 86

> and a 77

Come on this is like highlight-reel material I didn't even get a giggle cheese I hate to make it a banker joke...

Our crew is 24-60 something, majority in late 20s/early 30s

When I got into mopeds at 21 it was definitely younger on average, but whatever

I wonder if it is because mopeds have gone from really old but still viable, to full on antique in the last 20-30 yrs? You don't see kids restoring/fixing up model T's anymore either. People today, (me included) want comfort, most mopeds are not, like I will be selling my pos truck in the spring, not because it runs bad, but it is f'ing PRIMITIVE, when it comes to hvac, handling ride quality. I think mopeds have crossed over to primitive.

I grew up in Medina (still live there) and am 48. Mopeds were super cool when I was a teenager because it had a motor and you could ride it at 14. I got back into it about a year and a half ago with my son and we now have 3 Tomos and 1 Puch. Back in the 80's, there was no internet or Treats to buy kits from so there wasn't that much you could do to make them fast, or if there was I didn't know about it. I have way more fun riding our kitted bikes today than I ever did then. I don't see too many around Medina these days but have gotten a few guys at work interested.

I'm 35 but just recently in the last year really got back into mopeds. I dabbled a little in my mid twenties but then had to sell the two bikes I had when I moved overseas.

I always wanted to get another bike when I moved back to the states but honestly couldn't really afford it until I went back to work a year ago. Was a stay at home Dad for almost 5 years.

As cheap as mopeds are initially they can be super expensive once you get deep into the hobby. I can see that as a reason a lot of younger kids don't get into it. If you are looking for a cheap reliable form of transportation a 30-40 year old moped probably isn't it.

^ yeah i was working with my cousin this summer getting him set up on a nice little vespa bravo. I sold him the bike for 200 and piled him up with about 4-500 worth of performance parts new and used (tires, belt, cables, everything) for like another 200.

He was having a hard time scraping money together for it (obviously didn't want to dip into the beer money stash) and i was confused, but i think the deal is that when you spend like 7 or 800 bucks on an iphone you have a reasonable guarantee its going to work and do what its meant to do, when you spend 800 bucks on a moped, chances are still pretty good you're gonna have to fuck around with it a whole bunch and it might end up broke anyway two weeks later.

I guess i get that, you gotta really like mopeds a whole lot to be willing to take that plunge. Back when i got into it, performance parts weren't even a thing, so buying a 150 dollar maxi at a garage sale and getting it running in your mom's driveway was about all the further the moped hobby went. Mabye 40 bucks worth of cheng shin tires and you're set.

61, I've been riding since I was around 11 when I got my first minibike, a Rupp Roadster. The Moto community has always been fam and while I'm twice the age of most people I ride with today they are the folks I look up to the most and are most certainly family.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account