Re: average age in mopeds

I've been riding since about 2 years old , when I figured out how to pedal my three wheeler . I could and did ride all over town without any concerns from me or my parents . I had a great childhood . :)

Now , you can't get out of bed without being warned to wear/use protection of all sorts or be put in a casket . It's no wonder that kids are scared for their lives and huddle in the safety of no real contact with anything or anyone .

no groms no blasters /

i dunno, i'm pretty ok with moped army just being this goofy little thing that happened for a few years and now its just a bunch of old farts getting together to relive the 10 years of glory days...

That's why I'm so stoked about my time with mopeds.

Scooter people cosplay some shit that English teenagers did fifteen years before they were even born. Harley people cosplay shit that dropout veterans with PTSD did thirty years before they were even born.

I wonder if any idiots fifteen years from now will cosplay wearing elastic jeans with dayglo bandanas and having flippy hair and listening to justice and sleeping on strangers' floors and chugging sparks+.

I still ride mopeds because I am a cheap old motherfucker

Jeffrey Strichart /

I am 55. Got my first moped when I was 15.

Overpriced Parts /

> no groms no blasters Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> i dunno, i'm pretty ok with moped army just being this goofy little

> thing that happened for a few years and now its just a bunch of old

> farts getting together to relive the 10 years of glory days...

>

> That's why I'm so stoked about my time with mopeds.

>

> Scooter people cosplay some shit that English teenagers did fifteen

> years before they were even born. Harley people cosplay shit that

> dropout veterans with PTSD did thirty years before they were even born.

>

> I wonder if any idiots fifteen years from now will cosplay wearing

> elastic jeans with dayglo bandanas and having flippy hair and listening

> to justice and sleeping on strangers' floors and chugging sparks+.

No not just my homey’s, younger folk, older folk anybody else ever had hung with me for most of my life, it’s the two cycle engine! No other engine (well Rotary engines and old mopar hemi are great) will ever do

Whether it be be on a 1, 2, 3 or 4 cylinder motorbike, snowmobile, a cart, 4 wheel Yamaha 350cc ATV, a outboard, chain saw, lawn boy lawn mower, minibike, Parasail engine you name it,

2 stroke or go home, so nice to pull a head and not have a valves, chain or belt in there,

I kinda wish tucker car engine concept would’ve taken hold! In another words a simple engine that was easy to swap out then a complicated engine that maybe lasted a little longer but was very difficult to swap out like most of these front wheel drive cars nowadays,

The same with electric cars, I saw some lady today trying to plug her her 100+thousand dollar Tesla into a EV outlet at a supermarket taking longer than it would be to pump gas!

I did my shopping and she did her her shopping and got done earlier then me and had to load groceries and disconnect for coal fired (green in her head) electric vehicle,

I got there later than she did and I left there earlier than she did and all she got for her minimal time was a shortened battery life,

This is stupid as hell I can’t believe now these people are so stupid,

Time is money,

I can’t even imagine how dumb people are going to be in the future because energy cannot be made from nothing, only changed from one form to another plus the mining, manufacturing, recycling and disposing of all this plastics rare metals shit that contaminates more than anything ever,

Green in one area of the world means not green in other parts of the world with all this New tech stuff including the contamination stupid smart phones produces, most plastics are made from oil/earth products,

So good that many city’s banned plastic straws because there would a few straws not thrown away on streets but not all over the place like there is with needles :

6253B1FD-81E6-41A6-89C9-BF1C45355702.jpeg

Are they ever gonna ban needles? Never! Free needles yes, free dope? Soon, no real prosecution for drug offenses only ticket in some city’s and just a ticket for a 950$ theft in some city’s

I’ll take my two cycle lightweight motorbikes and a payphone that only cost a dime any day over nowadays stupid smart phone in the face distracted, addicted crime people who will hit and run and steal everything you got,

in my early 30s. tried to get some younger people into mopeds, but every time i recommend they buy one, I kind of end up regretting it as then I either have to become their personal mechanic, or it inevitably breaks down and sits.

and moped rallies are such a cool, singular experience. i'll keep going to those until i'm old.

Man I hate the phrase, "kids these days" kids these days know what they've be taught, so if they arent "hands on" or into motors, well thats what they were taught by their parents

But yes I think of this often I remember going to rallies when I was 21-22, and thinking the older official guys were like giants, I looked up to a lot of Bourbon Bandits, it motivated me to get better at building

That said here in Toledo we have a robust crowd, but now that I think about it, we are aging a bit, we formed when most of us were in college, and grew up together, now that we are "older" (26-32), maybe we should think about looking to get some young blood?

How does one go about that? Should I ride around campus!?

Overpriced Parts /

> Toledo Riot Wrote:

> Man I hate the phrase, "kids these days" kids these days know what

> they've be taught, so if they arent "hands on" or into motors, well

> thats what they were taught by their parents

>

> But yes I think of this often I remember going to rallies when I was

> 21-22, and thinking the older official guys were like giants, I looked

> up to a lot of Bourbon Bandits, it motivated me to get better at

> building

>

> That said here in Toledo we have a robust crowd, but now that I think

> about it, we are aging a bit, we formed when most of us were in college,

> and grew up together, now that we are "older" (26-32), maybe we should

> think about looking to get some young blood?

>

> How does one go about that? Should I ride around campus!?

Yea Mat Wagner the best doctor in mid Ohio and the other guy that was the weatherman are cool dude but don’t ever disrespect them as well as most moped /shop that went bankrupt the past few years!

got into mopeds this past summer at age 27. rode dirtbikes as a kid.

I love this shit. cant wait to hit my first rally and meet some of you "old timers".

Josiah Radebaugh /

@Grateful Nate-newbierick

You should attend the CBBG10 Build And Gather in Kalamazoo this December.

(29) I got into mopeds when I was in high school, me and my buddies rode around and tried to make them faster. I remember cleaning the points on a rotten pa50-i, and it popped and idled I got real stoked and that was that. Now I'm buying a 600$ mini van so I can go to more rallys. The bug either bites or it doesn't.

> Toledo Riot Wrote:

> Man I hate the phrase, "kids these days" kids these days know what

> they've be taught, so if they arent "hands on" or into motors, well

> thats what they were taught by their parents

yeah its funny, i don't know what it was like growing up in the 60's or 70s but by the late 80's/90's you had dateline and all this shit on tv and a bunch of fuckers running around suing everyone for everything from lawn darts to bbq grills, exactly the same way you see guys like Ken bitching about electric scooters or whatever else.

My parents were not at all like that, my dad let me use power tools and tear apart shit in the driveway but i was definitely the 'weird kid' in the neighborhood in that regard. Its funny because the exact same attitude of people that say you should crack down on this thing that annoys me or that thing that annoys me are the reason that motorsports, motorcycling, dirtbikes, mopeds, even cars are so unpopular with the current crop of teenagers. All these parents watching dumb shit like 'dateline' and saying 'oh wow these escooters/vaping/hoverboards, etc... are super dangerous we cant let our kids touch them' kill the fun and kill the freedom of being a kid.

I dont even remotely understand the concept of bitchy neighbors hating on your freedom be it riding electric scooters, leaving your kids unattended, riding a minibike, pretty much anything you do that doesn't fuck up someone else's day. I'm sure its been going on since the beginning of neighbors but it seems like the last 50 years or so in america the laws have been co-opted to favor bitchy neighbors vs. righteous rad dudes getting buck.

DrGeorgeTompson (Alan) /

> Nick / Ratbone Wrote:

> (29) I got into mopeds when I was in high school, me and my buddies rode

> around and tried to make them faster. I remember cleaning the points on

> a rotten pa50-i, and it popped and idled I got real stoked and that was

> that. Now I'm buying a 600$ mini van so I can go to more rallys. The bug

> either bites or it doesn't.

HAHAHAHA my fat ass is mean mugging you in your profile picture

Capture.PNG

(edited)

Hahahaha you mean muggin sum bitch!

> Chris E. Wrote:

> I'm 52 and started riding in 1980 when I purchased my Tomos. In the 23

> years I've lived in Bedford, Ohio I've NEVER seen another moped tooling

> up and down the streets. I've just recently noticed one other person

> riding a scooter around town. Heck I don't even see kids on bicycles

> anymore. Seems the younger ones stay hunkered down in their houses

> "wrenching" on PCs and game consoles. I actually started an FB group

> looking for local ped riders in an effort to maybe start a ride club. It

> has 4 member including myself and only one appears to be a local. Back

> in the 80's it seemed every kid over 14 had a moped. There's just so

> little interest in them by the kids anymore. I still get a kick out of

> blasting around town and getting flagged down by a local wanting to know

> "what year is that thing?" and "I haven't seen one of those in years!".

> Maybe I'm just weird, but I still enjoy riding and don't really

> understand why more folks aren't drawn to having an occasional rider in

> the garage.

Dude, come up to cleveland some day. we hang almost every tuesday down by asiatown.

We rode thru bedford last year, down to the reservation and around.

> Toledo Riot Wrote:

> How does one go about that? Should I ride around campus!?

That's pretty much how I've met everyone that rides a moped at OSU, I've left a few notes on mopeds too

Overpriced Parts /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> > Chris E. Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > I'm 52 and started riding in 1980 when I purchased my Tomos. In the 23

>

> > years I've lived in Bedford, Ohio I've NEVER seen another moped

> tooling

>

> > up and down the streets. I've just recently noticed one other person

>

> > riding a scooter around town. Heck I don't even see kids on bicycles

>

> > anymore. Seems the younger ones stay hunkered down in their houses

>

> > "wrenching" on PCs and game consoles. I actually started an FB group

>

> > looking for local ped riders in an effort to maybe start a ride club.

> It

>

> > has 4 member including myself and only one appears to be a local. Back

>

> > in the 80's it seemed every kid over 14 had a moped. There's just so

>

> > little interest in them by the kids anymore. I still get a kick out of

>

> > blasting around town and getting flagged down by a local wanting to

> know

>

> > "what year is that thing?" and "I haven't seen one of those in

> years!".

>

> > Maybe I'm just weird, but I still enjoy riding and don't really

>

> > understand why more folks aren't drawn to having an occasional rider

> in

>

> > the garage.

>

> Dude, come up to cleveland some day. we hang almost every tuesday down

> by asiatown.

>

> We rode thru bedford last year, down to the reservation and around.

Yeah it’s nice but I’ve been there 40 years ago! you got to go towards my way with the few farms and other things out here,

it kind of sucks in the city everybody tries to kill you but lately everybody out here tries to kill you too.

I mean yeah if you win your case what’s good, winning your case when you’re paralyzed from the waist down but I would rather be functionable and win $100 million dollars and be paralyzed from the waist down

Robert Linhares /

I am 74. My 1976 Cimatti City Bike engine was rebuilt by "rocket man". She runs better than when she was new. It is fun to ride by kids and pedal backwards: they are clueless to what they are witnessing. I stop and ask them: "what am I riding?" "how fast does it go?", they ask.

The media is so alluring it is additive.

I am a regular bicycle rider, so at a slower pace than a moped I see mother's pushing strollers and their 2 year olds are looking at a screen.

All over this country folks remark on car drivers being distracted. Sad to say it is true and not going away any time soon.

With my grand boys I try to get them engaged in making pizza, from scratch, with yeast...see it rise, roll it out, add the toppings, bake it. Then they have without really knowing it, engaged in something real. This can open up conversation. Here comes the word "engaged" again. I look up jokes for their age group. Get them relaxed. The perfect joke for a 15 year old, with extra credit for an eye roll: "What is the difference between ignorance and apathy?" Answer: "I don't know and I don't care".

Then work on bicycles, look...a moped. Visit You tube on how a 2 cycle engine works.

It is a steep hill, no mistake, but using humor and being interested in them still has a few grains of hope...I hope.

Most progress is a steep climb , as opposed to the slippery slope of decline .

Jeffrey Strichart /

It is true that energy cannot be destroyed. It can only become another form of energy. People are energy. What does this mean as to life after death? I hope to turn into a dog.

SUD's will kill us before anything else. It's not because they kill ocean dwellers by choking them to a slow, agonizing death, which makes me want to puke even thinking about it, it is horrible and unacceptable, but the amount of energy required via fossil fuels to make them is staggering. You can at least rip your plastic six pack holder's rings so there are no loops left to wrap around some poor dolphin's snout and choke it to death. You can at least do that.

Electric cars won't change anything. What if we all had electric cars that need to be charged? The amount of energy that would need to be expended to create all of that juice would be just as bad or even worse than it is now. Yes, emissions would decrease but still. It's a lot.

Which do you think contributed most towards our present day western civilization - The Magna Carta, the Black Plague or the Battle of Hastings?

Jeffrey Strichart /

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> I’ll be 56 at the end of the month. Started riding mopeds in 1977. It’s

> like reliving my youth all over again when I ride one of my peds.

Exactly. Who cares if it is just a bunch of old dudes reliving ten years of glory days? I am having a great time doing it and that is all that counts. Anyway my moped days ran around three years at most.

This is a very interesting thread. It is easy to say the "kids" are lazy etc...and many are. But I find more fear than laziness. I sold My Motobecane this spring, and most of those who came to look were younger, but very quickly lost interest when it was explained you had to pre-mix, and keep after the bike, most wanted it because "it's retro man" but what, I have to work at keeping it going? Then the guy who bought it, would guess he was 20ish? But he knew mopeds and wanted to learn about Motobecane's, so they are out there. Back to the "fear" when I pull up places and kids are hanging out a few stop phoning and come to look, ask questions, they at times reach out to touch the engine?!? I tell them don't it's hot, and they jump away, and ask how are you comfortable sitting on that, aren't you afraid of crashing? (I'm not), they just stare...and then the inevitable, well, my mom would never let me ride this anyway...I ask how old are you, one kid says 21!! WTF? There was that poor kid on here for a minute who was asking where BESIDES the street he could ride a moped...he planned to ride it in circles in his yard...he is 18! I was out of the house at 18, didn't ask anyone for anything at that point. People who have had the internet since they were born seem to lack the desire for freedom of movement a moped gave my 15yo self back in '83, as they can go anywhere virtually on their phone/computer, but it is not the same. But they don't know that. If I was given the option to be 18 again in today's world, as much as I would enjoy the physical idea, I would not trade the time I grew up in for how people are coming up today. There are tech marvels, but really living seems to have faded away, like what was posted a while back at least back when a tape would be over and you had to go outside, the internet has an endless variety of stuff for you to sit and stare at/click on, and stuff cheesy poofs in your head, why would they bother to move? My hat is off to the 15 yo guys on here, nice to see/ have you around. Think about this as well, these bikes are 40 odd yrs old, at 15-16 remember how OLD that used to seem to the kids they must seem relics. I think for the kids with any desire for speed/fun the e-bikes will be the new mopeds, less threatening, (no noise fumes, gasp gasoline) but still pretty damn cool. My 2 cents. Oh yeah, in at #52, my age. :) @ Will D "I'm feeling not as young as I used to" it only gets worse, but life doesn't, it just changes a bit.(edited)

20, been playing with mopeds since 16. It’s hard getting outside friends into the hobby as far as wrenching goes though. Everyone’s stoked to ride but when it comes to un-breaking them they can kinda fall off. Hopefully enough gen z moped folks are around in 10-20 years, because I fully intend on still trying to shred.

I'm 43 and my son is 16

no groms no blasters /

I was out of the house at 18

pro tip: if you want to see more young people who haven't been forced to live at their parents' houses, you have to go to your planning commission or city council meeting and counter all the people who say, "NOOOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T BUILD AN APARTMENT BUILDING!!!! IT WILL RUIN THE SMALL TOWN FEEL!!!!!!!!! AND THE TRAFFICCCCCC!!!!!!!"

If you don't do that, you cannot shit on young people for not being able to afford to move out of their parents' houses.

The city I live in is close to 50% rental housing. The only "houses" I have ever lived in were my parents, and a few rented ones I shared with roommates. I get your point though, but there are always places to rent, you may have to move a bit away to find them, but they are there.

I'm turning 51 in couple of weeks. My dad bought me a '77 50cc trial bike in 1980. Rode that for maybe 4-5 years before 125cc enduro and then cars. Last year bought me a vintage 50cc "moped" again. I write "moped" as I am in Europe and the laws are a bit different than in the US.

Locally, some high school kids (15+ year olds) ride 50cc scooters or enduro bikes. But most of them are on bicycles though. Traditional mopeds are long gone, haven't seen one in my town for years. Seems like the whole culture is gone, only 40 years ago in moped heyday they were the most common type of motorvehicle in the whole country.

I think the youth of today are not interested in vintage ('60s to 80s) mopeds because their parents didn't live during that time either. 15 year old kids of today have parents who were born in mid '80s or later. The best days of mopeds was already long gone when they were 10-15 year olds. Other things were cool at that time (mid '90s to 00s). So, their kids are already 2nd generation past mopeds.

But, I do turn heads when blasting through town on my '73 Puch 49cc motored thing! Both adults and youth stop and look at me going. :D(edited)

When I got into mopeds there were a bunch of us who were teenagers hanging around and sneaking into the bars and clubs. Now there’s rarely anyone around who is under 30. We have one younger kid kinda hanging around who is stoked, so I’m hoping he gets more of his friends involved, would be fun to see energetic, uncorrupted (so far) kids building and riding in town and pumping fresh energy in.

Also, SteveR you know damn well we will throw a redux rally flashback dayglo dance party, it will be like when sparks/four sponsored us and we almost killed the creatures.

Master D. Baiter /

I’m 17

> no groms no blasters Wrote:

> I was out of the house at 18

>

> pro tip: if you want to see more young people who haven't been forced to

> live at their parents' houses, you have to go to your planning

> commission or city council meeting and counter all the people who say,

> "NOOOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T BUILD AN APARTMENT BUILDING!!!! IT WILL RUIN THE

> SMALL TOWN FEEL!!!!!!!!! AND THE TRAFFICCCCCC!!!!!!!"

>

> If you don't do that, you cannot shit on young people for not being able

> to afford to move out of their parents' houses.

It seems it cost more to rent , on a monthly basis , than to own . It's the down payment that holds anyone from buying .

Apartment buildings and their opponents are far from the problem . Just part , maybe .

If I had the solution , I'd be happy to share it , but ???

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account