Re: Supertech Marine....The low priced oil of Mopeds?

> Angry Hipster Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> > P D Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Hmm , sure I can handle cheap ice cream , but , I much prefer hand

>

> > dipped hard ice cream . I guess my motors probably feel the same about

>

> > the oils I feed them .

>

> Probably....probably......but you CERTAINLY pay....

>

> The motors really benefit from nice new non worn out parts which you can

> buy with money saved from not buying expensive oil over the course of

> it's life.

You may be right , dear .

But , I'll keep buying/running the intermediate priced oil ( Lucas semi-synthetic ) because I've had excellent worry free results from that brand for a good share of my life .

Tout the cheapest if you like . I'll stick with what I know to be safe and effective .

Oh , and , I haven't had to buy any oil related parts for my motor in about the last ten years . That's since the bike became mine . How much was it that I was saving , again ? ;)

Angry Hipster /

> P D Wrote:

I haven't had to buy any oil related parts for my motor in

> about the last ten years . That's since the bike became mine . How much

> was it that I was saving , again ? ;)

You're not saving anything, there are lots of reports in this very thread of guys running cheap oil for decades.

Your engine with new internals from money saved from running cheap oil would be better than what you have now.(edited)

Hmm , I started out with a motor that had more than 5,000 who knows what kind of miles on it and now , about 10 trouble free years later , it might benefit ( doesn't really need , as it starts 1st kick and still does well over 30 MPH ) from a new piston and rings at a cost of maybe 22 bucks .

Yeah , you're right . I didn't save anything . ;)

Angry Hipster /

Oh... Thank you for explaining!

That worn out moped at 5k miles was already sentenced to death, but due to your careful choice of oil you managed to putt around on it for a whole 10years!!!

Surely without that sweet sweet Lucas it would have been destroyed by now. .

There just is no way that could have happened with a cheaper oil...no way!

You sure beat the "potential problems" by diligently buying brand name, multipurpose oil... Surely the non brand name multipurpose oil couldn't have done that!

Anyhow, to each his own, but do not try and scare people away from using cheaper oils in their MOPEDS!!

Ha . Your sarcasm is well noted .

I've said all along that folks are gonna do what they're gonna do , no matter what you say .

And , as for my choice of oil , that pretty much speaks for itself . I can only tell you what my experience has produced . Your speculation has absolutely no bearing .

Josiah Radebaugh /

This...

I don't try to "scare" anyone with anything about anything. I might recommend it but other than that I'll keep quiet.

They've already chosen their oil, why should I try to convince them to use something else? Doesn't affect me any, it's not like I get any money from oil sales. Sure, if someone ask me "what oil should I buy" I'll recommend my first choice then go to availability and cost.

Does oil matter that much? Is there any strong evidence supporting certain oil's ability to significantly reduce engine wear? Not that I've found. And when was the last time you heard of someones bike seizing due to low oil quality?

Maybe I should start running vegetable oil?...

Anyway, I've chosen my oil. Sure I have to go 8 miles to get my chosen oil, where's I could go only a mile and pick up a bottle of "Random brand special" from the hardware store. Its Just what I want to do ya'll do what you want to do.(edited)

i run itasca. anything else will def make your bike seize.

Angry Hipster /

Itasca seems to be MA approved, good stuff and cheap.

Now here we have some interesting pictures about amsoil vs that sweet sweet precious Lucas oil............apparently according to amsoil the lucas stuff is garbage

Here is a link to the study they conducted: https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3466.pdf

Here is a summary of the study:

The test used four ECHO string trimmers, with SABER Professional used in two and LUCAS SemiSynthetic 2-Cycle Oil used in the other two. Computer-controlled actuators simultaneously operated the trimmer throttle triggers according to an identical protocol for each unit.

Test administrators monitored engine rpm, spark-plug temperature, exhaust emissions and other parameters to ensure consistent, repeatable operation and gauge overall performance of each trimmer. After 300 hours of operation, the trimmers were disassembled and inspected.

And here are some of the highlights. .

oil2.png
oil3.png
oil1.png

So you see, we KNOW for a fact that it is easy to spend big bucks on oil, but does that mean your expensive oil is saving the engine?? "potentially" "maybe"

But we have reports of guys running cheap marine stuff for decades... so maybe it's best to do that and save some money for parts... It's like if you run the cheap stuff you WILL have enough money saved to rebuild the engine with new parts....while the big buck spending means...maybe those parts will hold up to justify the cost??

The walmart marine stuff does work fine for a long time....But to be fair the price you pay for getting the walmart stuff means doing business with walmart...it's terrible in there. . I think my next bottle of oil will actually be some Pennzoil semi marine oil... Lots of good reports from reputable members here and I can get it delivered from Amazon with no visit to horrible Walmart with the screaming children and crowded store and people cutting you off and weird smells....Yuck!!

I have some Lucas actually in my garage...now I am scared to run it due to the Amsoil tests......jk.. you can't win this game... run what you can.. and don't look down on the cheap shit because even the expensive stuff has it's flaws...there is no universally accepted "Best oil"....but there is cheap and "good enough"

> Angry Hipster Wrote:

> Now here we have some interesting pictures about amsoil vs that sweet

> sweet precious Lucas oil............apparently according to amsoil the

> lucas stuff is garbage

ehhhh

i buy a lot of 'broken' name brand power equipment on CL and stuff, just last spring i bought a whole trunkload of chainsaws, trimmers, blowers from a commercial lawn equipment place that were beat to shit.

none of the pistons i've ever seen in a weedeater have ever looked like the ones from lucas. that is either uniquely the worst oil in the world or that test is fishy.

IMG_20190418_232103.jpg

this is from a fs74 string trimmer that must have had 200+ hours on it, maybe more, using god-knows-what 2t oil. Its about the most beat down (still running) power head motor i've ever seen.

Angry Hipster /

So basically either Lucas is garbage or Amsoil are cheats.....

I am leaning towards the latter. . but you would think Lucas would sue over something so slanderous if it weren't true....IDK

It is possible to easily spend big bucks.. but is it possible to actually find a best oil.....probably not...

My next bottle might be that Pennzoil stuff the old timer's here mention mainly because I don't want to go to Walmart anymore... but If you can endure Walmart the oil seems to be a good option for the budget minded moped rider.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Graham Motzing Wrote:

> > Angry Hipster Wrote:

>

> > -------------------------------------------------------

>

> > Now here we have some interesting pictures about amsoil vs that sweet

>

> > sweet precious Lucas oil............apparently according to amsoil the

>

> > lucas stuff is garbage

>

> ehhhh

>

> i buy a lot of 'broken' name brand power equipment on CL and stuff, just

> last spring i bought a whole trunkload of chainsaws, trimmers, blowers

> from a commercial lawn equipment place that were beat to shit.

>

> none of the pistons i've ever seen in a weedeater have ever looked like

> the ones from lucas. that is either uniquely the worst oil in the world

> or that test is fishy.

>

> this is from a fs74 string trimmer that must have had 200+ hours on it,

> maybe more, using god-knows-what 2t oil. Its about the most beat down

> (still running) power head motor i've ever seen.

Yeah, that reminds of this ad I always see in the back of Popular Mechanics:

engine3.jpg

Dirty30 Dillon /

Yeah, I would agree that the amsoil vs. lucas one is skewed.

That said, I love Saber and use it when applicable. But I have also had good luck with the Lucas, Opti, and Klotz.

I can't say I have ever felt a power increase from an oil, only less scorching and buildup

> Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) Wrote:

> Yeah, that reminds of this ad I always see in the back of Popular

> Mechanics:

> >

haha yeah, i've taken apart some 300K+ car motors and bearings never look like that, that looks like it was run out of oil.

i'd say they have some dodgy advertising, which isn't to say that their product is any better or worse for it, just dodgy advertising.

klotz definitely makes a mess, they got a buncha beans in there. castor, to my knowledge there is no higher strength oil. but it's messy. most likely to clog shit but also most likely to keep you running under tha abssolute most demanding scenarios.

Other curiousity though is the triboron stuff.

well like, there are about 20 different blends of klotz oil

but yeah, the bean definitely 'clots' up your rings and crabertater and stuff.

Brandon Weiss (Detective brandon to you) /

> Born to be WillD Wrote:

> klotz definitely makes a mess, they got a buncha beans in there. castor,

> to my knowledge there is no higher strength oil. but it's messy. most

> likely to clog shit but also most likely to keep you running under tha

> abssolute most demanding scenarios.

>

> Other curiousity though is the triboron stuff.

I was going to try out some "Klotz Motorcycle Techniplate", mainly because I've always wanted to try it and see how the stuff smells, but also specifically the "motorcycle" one because its synthetic and not full of beans, and should suit my daily bikes that arent built for racing with the idea of disassembling every race to clean the gummy schmutz

Dirty30 Dillon /

TC-W3 is full synth, so no castor and it works very great

Itasca or gtfo

Angry Hipster /

Update: I just dumped the bottle of lucas into an old pinto tank I had along with a mix of atf and engine oil.

Either Lucas is expensive and carbons up motors or Amsoil people are full of shit. .

I won't support either now.

I can run cheap marine and run the possibility of getting some carbon and I won't pay dearly for it.

Hopefully the pinto tank will now be safe from rust! It will be awhile before I can build that bike and I want to keep the tank I acquired preserved.

Josiah Radebaugh /

I've seen their little test before...

Given it was by amsoil I would guess it wasn't entirely truthfull. After over 2k miles of Lucas in my main bike, the carbon build up was no where nearly as bad as amsoil made it out to be.

no matter what the year, no matter what the topic, no matter what the forum, oil threads always end up utter clusterfucks. ;)

> ken gilbert Wrote:

> no matter what the year, no matter what the topic, no matter what the

> forum, oil threads always end up utter clusterfucks. ;)

So , what else is new ? ;)

Josiah Radebaugh /

MA Dumpster Fire Starter pack:

Oil (Questions or suggestions)

"Scooters are better"

Anything involving politics in any form

"Which Bike is best?"

An opinion on Something

Bought a used Tomos with oil injection that had always used AMSOIL. It was in great shape motor-wise.

Amsoil is near top of the line, but costly. I ride mopeds for fun and cheap. Never had an engine problem with Pennzoil Marine synthetic blend, just as MopedLar has said the same.

Don't think my mopeds have it easy...………….I have always been 225 to 240 and they have always been weighed down with tools and large windshields, while pulling hills with all that weight. The Morinis and Tomos A55 have never had a problem.

to this add:

slapping on a kit (to my tomos)

SHA or bing?

i just bought a roketa moped how to make it go faster?

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account