Supertech Marine....The low priced oil of Mopeds?

Angry Hipster /
supertech.jpg

Some say it's just mopeds...others say you must get special super $40+ per gallon oil.

It must meet JASO, or ISO spec, and you must spend mucho dolla to aqquire it.

The thing is you can spend the big bucks, but you still will hear of flaws. I've heard synthetic has issues with corrosion, race oils can require frequent engine rebuilds. . etc. .

So then you're stuck in a situation where you are spending big money, and buy small bottles of oil that still is questioned by some.

Fuck that!

I get the gallon of the cheapest walmart marine oil and I run it. No tiny bottles and big buck spending for me!

You will find people who say that you can't run marine oil because the mopeds are air cooled and the outboard engines are not. Let me tell you I've ran and left my engine idling for 10 minutes in 95F weather on marine oil and no seizure or trouble came of it.

Then again I pressure tested the engine when I rebuilt it and continue to check for air leaks! That's what seizes engines! Air leaks or not enough oil! Make sure your ped isn't sucking in air and give it enough oil in the mix and that's enough!

32:1 Cheap dino oil, The choice of non neurotic stock/slightly modded moppedders.

If you've got a powervalve or spark arrestor or high compression maybe not the best idea.... but if you're just mopedding along the oil of the sea will float your boat...er..hmm...moped!

Mopeds are not marine craft

Marine 2 stroke engines generally run at 45-5500rpm range stock. Only a few of the 20mph rated mopeds operate in that low range of speed. Marine engines generally are run at a constant speed, mopeds are on and off the throttle. Higher crank speeds, more demands and hotter running engines make it better sense to operate with the right oil, not the cheapest.

Re: Mopeds are not marine craft

Angry Hipster /
super2.jpg
snip.png

Ahoy matey!! Yer logic is sinking holes in me ship.

But if we look at the back of the bottle we see that she can be used in much higher revving applications.

She'll hold up to the heat, She'll hole up to the revs.

Arghh

It's just a crusty ped' Give her 32:1 and don't modify and race the piss out of it and she'll get you where you need to go. It's just mopeds???(edited)

Re: Supertech Marine....The low priced oil of Mopeds?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

I’ve used penzoil marine synthetic for over 20 years. Never seized a motor and very little carbon buildup when I check piston and head every few thousand miles. I’m sure the Walmart brand is just as good as penzoil’s.

Re: Mopeds are not marine craft

...true...

...and like all oil products it has a guarantee that if their oil is proven to have fuked up your motor they will replace the oil with no other warranty written, expressed or implied...

Call me old fashion, call me resistant to change, but I have been hard on the throttle for decades and dont seize engines as a habit. Might be good what you have discovered, but I have tried things in the past and discovered what is worth experimenting upon by my own failures (ouch) or success (YAY me) . So I just throw in my observations from previous experiences.

It is also difficult to not leave a moped in an untouched condition, knowing that before restrictive regulations which started in the 1960s, these were factory produced to go well over 50km/h (30mph) safely.

> Angry Hipster Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> >

> Ahoy matey!! Yer logic is sinking holes in me ship.

>

> But if we look at the back of the bottle we see that she can be used in

> much higher revving applications.

>

> She'll hold up to the heat, She'll hole up to the revs.

>

> Arghh

>

> It's just a crusty ped' Give her 32:1 and don't modify and race the piss

> out of it and she'll get you where you need to go. It's just mopeds???

Double Trouble Dan /

Its not going to hurt anything. The only long distance difference that you may see are.

1) plugs may foul easier

2) extra carbon build up on rings ,piston , and crank case . Big deal....

3) if you leave it in the float bowl long periods , it will form a nice goo.

The oils of today are so much superior than 40 years ago.

Heck , they used to recommend straight 30 weight .

Personally , I use synthetic estate sale oil. FC FD JASO TC

Buck a bottle when i find it.

Latest was amsoil dominator , but any chainsaw 2 stroke mix oil works great.

Got a gallon of Kawasaki premix oil. Thats up next.

enjoy

Angry Hipster /

The estate sales have really went to shit where I'm at. The economy or mackelmore or YouTube flipping videos are what fucked it up I think.

I've been disappointed one too many times by big crowds and big prices to waste my weekend time on that.

But it does sound like a clever idea if it can be done in your area and it seems like something out of a Mad Max movie, lol.

But for now, I'll continue to run the blue oil of the sea. $14 a gallon and you're set for a long time.

quite a number of marine outboard are air cooled, too. usually smaller sub 3hp units designed for easy portability.

Angry Hipster /

Thanks Ken that's even more reassuring to know. I made a song about the oil too.

Oil O' the sea!

The only oil fer me!

Oil O' the sea!

Nice and blue and slippery!

The only oil fer me!

She lubes my ped, She's got low ash

Her price is good, not much cash.

Low on smoke, good for boat.

Good fer things that sink or float!

Liquid cooled or the air.

Good fer those without a care!

Oil O' the sea! She's the one for me!

She's Economy!!!

vintage-mid-century-skipper-sea-captain-at-the-wheel-oil-painting-by-billy-wilder-2971.jpg

(edited)

Josiah Radebaugh /

I've just been running Lucas semi synthetic.

Angry Hipster /
seacaptain.png

Overpriced Parts /

I use this in some bikes cause we have crap oxy and gas-alcohol gas here,

Full synthetic About 1.75-2$ for 6.4 oz

My magnum idled in drive for over a hr while I ate dinner and took a short nap and forgot it was running, no over heat, plug was not fouled

78CB030A-91C6-46A9-A1EC-A36FC86D1F5A.jpeg

been using this Super tecno oil in mopeds for 5yrs, and in boats for the last 12, no probs.

Been running 2 stroke engines since '82 or so, used all different types of oil, in stock machines, it really seems to make very little difference. It's just mopeds. Run what you've got. :)

Better to have oil than no oil. Penz is good Walmart ok oil.

Pep Boys.

EE48189B-FCC2-49D3-B541-0F37009A07F0.jpeg

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Itasca the green bottle 12 oz for 1.38...

And is the cheapest but been running it for 10 years plus without incident it will also give you a true plug color not like the good stuff that always leaves a gray

> Moped Lar (OFMC) Wrote:

> I’ve used penzoil marine synthetic for over 20 years. Never seized a

> motor and very little carbon buildup when I check piston and head every

> few thousand miles. I’m sure the Walmart brand is just as good as

> penzoil’s.

Ditto,except on the `good as Pennzoil's'. I won't gamble with Super-Tech when I KNOW how good the Pennzoil Marine synthetic is. Thousands of low to high revving miles and no seizures or rebuilds,period.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> Been running 2 stroke engines since '82 or so, used all different types

> of oil, in stock machines, it really seems to make very little

> difference. It's just mopeds. Run what you've got. :)

Well the injectior on an NC50 will beg to differ. It runs best and cleanest on Honda 2 stroke injector oil. Ive tried several and synthetics fuck with it the most.

^ I have heard that, only having bought my Express this spring, not run it enough to add oil. First bike I have had with a functioning oil injection system, thanks for the tip!

ive been using supertech tc-3 2stroke in my bikes since my rotary rx7 days!! my PR friends swore by it, and that translated over to me using it in my ktm 300 and other stuff (mopeds). never had an issue !! surprisingly quality stuff from walmart!

Bad Cadillac™ /

I've been riding since 1984 and have used all types of oils, never had an issue!

Any synthetic is a great oil to use today no matter what brand! I currently use two stroke oils used in lawn and snow removal equipment.

> Stephen Keller Wrote:

> ^ I have heard that, only having bought my Express this spring, not run

> it enough to add oil. First bike I have had with a functioning oil

> injection system, thanks for the tip!

I think the synthetics are so slick that they leak past the seal and gears when sitting unused.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

The synthetics are great but they don't give you a temperature range when you look at the plug the cheap istica stuff along with once every like for tanks of gas substitute some Marvel Mystery Oil for the 2-stroke additive and it keeps it so clean and carbon-free that it will run for ever

Overpriced Parts /

> live ɘvil Wrote:

>

> Well the injectior on an NC50 will beg to differ. It runs best and

> cleanest on Honda 2 stroke injector oil. Ive tried several and

> synthetics fuck with it the most.

I run synthetic oil if manual says to, like my tomos revival manual says to run so I’ve found the best injector oil is this Polaris oil:

008AB5CC-4871-46D0-B6D8-0314A693C27A.jpeg

I run it in my stock cylinder magnum MKII oil injector also, flows good in all weather.

Plated aluminum cylinder kits (like polini) manuals call for synthetic 2 cycle oil so I run what the manual says but I run all different brands of synthetic and all seem to work pretty good with less carbon and smoother operation then most of the petroleum oil‘s I used for years, years ago,

I think the reverse is true about what was said about seal deterioration I think you get better seal life as well as bearing and bushing life,

Some of my personal bikes (most not stock) I’ve had for over 20 years and when I take them down for inspection/maintenance I’ve noticed less wear in every aspect, top end with synthetic 2t oil as well as gearbox, clutches, bushings and cranks with synthetic 4t oil in the gearboxes instead of just transmission oil,

Stock bike yeah you could use all kinds/brands of regular oil but if running a performance set up or if the manual calls for synthetic, synthetic oil is the way to go.

Jeffrey Strichart /

In my experience marine oil can really mess up your engine to where it runs like crap. How much money are you saving? Is it worth potential problems?

Moped Lar (OFMC) /

> Jeffrey Strichart Wrote:

> In my experience marine oil can really mess up your engine to where it

> runs like crap. How much money are you saving? Is it worth potential

> problems?

I've been using Marine oil for over 20 years, and it's never messed up any of my mopeds' motors and I've put on tens of thousands of trouble-free miles on my bikes.

Angry Hipster /

I am not going to worry about it....in fact I will document my experience with it. I've rebuilt this engine aside from the rod bearing/bushing which both seemed fine. . and I'm not scared of some boogey man potential engine problem to maybe occur so that I should quickly grab my wallet and throw money on expensive oil.

These mopeds are not high end racing machines, (Well not stock anyhow)

They don't need premium fuel or expensive oil... They were imported here strictly because they don't.

So in stock/slightly modded form the oil of the sea should do fine, better than the original 30w oil that was recommended in the first place!

32:1 Marine oil will float your boat and keep the wallet happy mateys!!

Angry Hipster /

Mopedlar, when you get the chance can you post some pics of sparkplugs etc?? I am more than willing to do so myself but I don't ride nearly as much as you so it would take me quite awhile to do.

I want to take speculation out of the equation.

I usually run the Walmart synthetic but sometimes even the blue. I run at 40:1 and have been since 1970 I have run cheap shit for 5 decades at that ratio and never had an oil related failure I did have a plug foul once, but that may have been the torrential downpour not the oil

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account