Hobbit 21 cc malossi phbg inline vs bringing carb out to side.

All three hobbits I am playing with have Cheetachrome modded subs and carb is inline so under frame. For clearance of the frame crushing the carb/intake the usual solution is 330 mm rear shocks. This I believe screws of the basic handling and magnifies flex issues with the subframe.

So I'm thinking about trying a new carb set up with some curved intake and a carb hanging out there.

But I've seen just how crappy the connection can be using some kind of rubber connection from intake to carb. I had this issue with my magnum that required a new intake by Nate of motomatics which transfered weight back into the motor.

I see there is a flanged new mlm with a VM 20 set up that uses actually bolts.

What nukeproof setups exist because I want to put.280 mm shocks back on to.assess the ride stability.

Post some pictures. I'm not going with any setup that "occasionally" everything falls off !!!!

Re: Hobbit 21 cc malossi phbg inline vs bringing carb out to side.

I have been running this setup for 3 years on my Hobbit with a 21mm PHBG and my carb only fell off once when I was first tweaking it.

Find radiator hose that'll fit snug over your intake, then hoseclamp it to the intake. Then find a short (2-4") piece of steel tubing that will fit into your carb. Clamp the carb to the steel tube, then clamp the other end of the hose clamp onto the steel tube with a hose clamp and presto you have an angled intake that lets you mess with the carb and costs like $5.

Here's the only picture I have of my bike at the moment where you can see my carb(edited)

IMG_20190319_153751.jpg

Barry (Bob) Brown /

I used the MLM intake and a Mikuni VM20 carb to get it up and out of the subframe. It all bolt on and only Mod I need to make is to cut an inch off the end of the footrest or whatever you call them. Though Nick's way works (I have seen it) and is way cheaper.(edited)

IMG_4264.JPG

@ Nick I sure like your solution. What exact angled intake manifold did u use and do u recall the I'd and I'd of the metal u used to get a good seal at the phbg.

@Barry: that looks so.clean and am I right that the carb may be directly transferring weight to.the side of the subframe. That looks so freaking perfect.

Barry (Bob) Brown /

I think it weighs 1.7lbs and I didnt notice any difference from original carb location.

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> @ Nick I sure like your solution. What exact angled intake manifold did

> u use and do u recall the I'd and I'd of the metal u used to get a good

> seal at the phbg.

>

I didn't use an angled manifold, I used the Malossi one that comes in the 21mm phbg setup. This one: https://www.treatland.tv/honda-hobbit-malossi-PHBG-intake-p/honda-malossi-intake-0261158.htm

I don't remember the exact diameter but word on the street is 3/4" diameter with some light dremeling on the carb side works well. I used something a little too small and wrapped electrical tape twice around the tube to make up the diameter and provide a better seal.

love my dio reed adaptor and vm20. brings it up and out

idk if pedals would hit it or not... my foot pegs are mounted back by the lower shocks

northshore1.jpg

(edited)

Nick do you have any specifics on the metal pipe diameter etc that fits correctly into the intake of the carb. I want to try your method but would like specifics.

Nick just re-read your posts and see your suggestions.

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Nick do you have any specifics on the metal pipe diameter etc that fits

> correctly into the intake of the carb. I want to try your method but

> would like specifics.

The best method is to just find scraps laying around, like i said I think 3/4" is the way to go. In any case you should try to make a better seal with a single layer of electrical tape or something where the carb mounts to the pipe

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account