Decals.. help me design accurate sets.

Right folks, Im a graphic designer by profession, and what started for me as a personal project, has now sort of snowballed a little, as other owners on other make and model forums/groups have asked me if i could do a set of decals for this or that bike.

Currently I'm concentrating on the stuff that there is either little or no availability for, or what is out there is terrible quality. I started by doing sets of decals for my east german MZ ETZ 250, as what is out there was pretty crap, blurred, misprinted, wrong dimensions etc. i got people in the owners group here to take good high res photos and some measurements using a rule or even better a micrometer. to get all the vital stats down.

At the moment I'm doing a set for the QT50, but i need some measurements, as my own bike had a couple of them missing and also im in the UK so our decal sets were slightly diff, mostly the warning labels, vin decal, and a couple of other things. so if you have the silver horn cover sticker, can you please measure the width and height in mm if possible. same with the frame "yamaha" white stickers.. mines are gone. and also any warning labels, especially US specific stuff like the EPA and vin decal on the seat downtube.. the one in the uk is smaller and on the frame neck.

If there are any other makes/models you would like to see replacement sets for that currently don't have. or if they are to expensive, let me know and with enough images, measurements etc i can probably replicate them, i can do vinyl cutting, clear vinyl with white and metallic inks, white vinyl full colour printing etc. It dont matter if there faded, scratched, damaged, as long as theres enough info to work out whats going on i can work with it.

Re: Decals.. help me design accurate sets.

Measured from one of my QTs: Horn cover sticker is 50mm long x 15 mm high. Silver with white lettering and white border. Frame "YAMAHA" sticker is 90 mm long x 25mm high. White Lettering with narrow black outline on each letter, clear background. Our VIN stickers are also on steering top tube. EPA is on bottom of frame tube -separate sticker. If you need measurements and what is printed on EPA sticker let me know. I have one bike with that still on it.

Billy Stewart /
UKSpecQT50.jpg

Yes bob I would be very grateful for a photo of the epa sticker i do have a image but its pretty crap quality and kinda at a funny angle.. even photoshop cant get it straight enough to do it justice. heres a pic of the UK spec files I've got drawn up. I understand the US spec caution and warning labels also had french on them? or is that just a Canadian or European thing? im trying to work out what decals belong with what country or market area. As you can see our VIN sticker is a little diff to the one i saw in a pic from a US bike.. again id be grateful for an image.. as you can see i leave out the actual chassis number.. it will be up to the user to put one in if they like. same with year of manufacture... dont mind the pink line.. thats just for the printer to die cut the decals out.

cool that you're doing this but you definitely can't copyright reproduction decals.

Billy Stewart /

Hmm id beg to differ, as i created that particular artwork from scratch.. at worst it will be looked upon as a derivative work i just don't want someone taking the work I've done and go off printing it.. not that it be that great, after all it isn't the original vector file :D. its taken hours of work and research to try and track down the required information besides its older than 25yrs old.. i know in the uk that if something is older than 25yr and the copyright hasn't been actively upheld it passes into a grey area of law... its fair to say all QT's are now older than 25. the Yamaha typeface is a commercially available font, as is the other text.. other than that it is just some coloured stripes.. which cannot be copyrighted.. I'm a graphic designer by profession.. i need to know this stuff.. as clients often come asking to have stuff copied that is copyrighted. but anyways i don't want to get into a debate about it. Im trying to help other bike/moped enthusiasts. by making sure what I'm doing is correct and complete.. unlike some of the other sets around. and when iim done i sell them to cover my costs and a little for my time and effort, it all goes back into buying bikes and parts anyhow :D (edited)

wish I had some fly sachs decals

> K Olena Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> wish I had some fly sachs decals

What kind do you need? I'm gonna start making some G3 decals soon I think

My camera won't focus on such small lettering but here's what it says:

Line 1:MOTORCYCLE NOISE EMISSION CONTROL INFORMATION

Line 2: THIS 1984 YAM5U90049 MOTORCYCLE MEETS EPA NOISE EMISSION

Line 3: REQUIREMENTS OF 70dB(A) AT 5225 RPM BY THE FEDERAL TEST.

Line 4: PROCEDURE-MODIFICATIONS WHICH CAUSE THIS MOTORCYCLE TO

Line 5: EXCEED FEREDERAL NOISE STANDARDS ARE PROHIBITED BY FEDERAL

Line 6: LAW. SEE OWNERS MANUAL

Size is 90mm x 18mm. Also on US bikes is another horn cover sticker on frame just below weld for gas tank support. The only French is on the Main Switch Operation sticker on back side of speedo head. English on left, French on right.

DSCN0248.JPG

On back of Speedo head. Size 93 mm x 33 mm. This is only for bikes with 3 position ignition switch. 1982 and newer.

DSCN0251.JPG

Whoops! Line 5 on my EPA sticker quote I spelled FEDERAL with a few extra letters. Sorry.

If you do a set for for the Yamaha QT

Put me down for the same set.

Hope your decals last half as long as my 40 Year old Yamaha

Billy Stewart /
QT50USwarningdecals.jpg

bobqt50 are you sure the Yamaha decal on frame is 90 mm long by 25mm high? or is that including the clear background, as when i scaled the text, to 90mm long to keep the correct aspect ratio without stretching the letters, its only 21.3mm high. just to clarify its just the width and height of the actual white Yamaha with the black stroke around it i need the dimensions for, not the clear part of the decal. also can you measure your vin decal and does it look like the one I've circled in red in the image? as you can see there are other labels with french/english that someone on a facebook group gave me a photo off, but not the one for the rear of the speedo. which i have the english only version off, but I'm sure there must have been a bi-lingual one done if they bothered to do the 2 larger battery box ones.

I did the EPA label, but the image I had for a 1982 bike carried a different model number ref on the YAMXXXXX part so i did both, as it may mean a change of model designation.. hopefully it isn't the vehicle VIN number. I also just put 19XX in instead of the year.. i may just put in 19 with a space so people can enter the year in themselves by some method (sharpie.. lol) same with VIN sticker i left out the actual VIN. again for end user to enter by some method.

stanluv.. what country are you in? so far ive only got the UK ones perfected. im nearly there with a generic US set, i think the dual language must be either Canada or France. i still need to clarify that. Im planning on going to the printer and running off 4 or 5 sets to check the quality and clarity. after im happy ill be getting them done in small batches and tailoring them to order. being in the UK postage can be expensive abroad. But i am going to Las Vegas for new year and CES. so i can take some with me and post from there to US buyers to save the import duty and postage from UK. if they can wait!

Regarding doing other Moped/Bike decal sets, as long as there is a demand, and i have enough references to work from, measurements, good clear straight on large photos, and some datum point on the bike itself (especially useful if the decal sits in a recessed stamped part of the frame/tank. But id need to sell more than one or 2 sets to make the time input and research worthwhile. so far I'm only doing it for bikes i currently own. as it makes it a easier task. but im willing to give things a try.

YAMAHA frame decal would be 83 x 23 just measuring letters. VIN decal is correct and measures 108 x 30 . We would only need 1 EPA sticker, but 2 little silver/white YAMAHA stickers for horn cover and frame post below gas tank support welds would be needed for USA bikes. Probably Canada also.

Benjamin The Wandering Pacer /

Glad to see others out there taking on the task of making new OEM decals for bikes!! I did this for my Pacer bikes which has also helped others also wanting to update their decals. https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/read.php?1,4276497

Billy Stewart /

Right i think i have everything dialled in measurement wise, Gonna print off 3 full sets and one with just the main decals and not all the epa warnings etc. to see how they turn out. I shall keep you posted but it will be a few days until i get the files back from the printer.. if they do a decent job! If i am happy i will get more done and sell them on. remember I'm based in the UK. so the postage will be expensive, unless you can wait till I'm next in the states just after xmas.

> Billy Stewart Wrote:

> Right i think i have everything dialled in measurement wise, Gonna print

> off 3 full sets and one with just the main decals and not all the epa

> warnings etc. to see how they turn out. I shall keep you posted but it

> will be a few days until i get the files back from the printer.. if they

> do a decent job! If i am happy i will get more done and sell them on.

> remember I'm based in the UK. so the postage will be expensive, unless

> you can wait till I'm next in the states just after xmas.

So, you gonna charge Bob and anyone else that helped you with pics and measurements? Seems only fitting that you return the favor to the peeps that helped you. And no a free set to those that helped you is not too much to ask. (edited)

> live ɘvil Wrote:

> So, you gonna charge Bob and anyone else that helped you with pics and

> measurements? Seems only fitting that you return the favor to the peeps

> that helped you. And no a free set to those that helped you is not too

> much to ask.

Yeah that's wack. I've been toying with the idea of starting to print decals and the idea was that if you send me pictures/measurements you get a free set since you're basically doing the hardest part of the work (graphic designers are much more common than intact decal sets for rare bikes.)

I have access to a vinyl cutters so I won't have to rely on anyone else which would print keeping my costs lower.

I haven't committed to doing it yet though since I'm pretty busy. But this thread has shown that there is a fair amount of interest in it, so I might take some measurements off of my friend's pristine QT50 and see how a set of decals turns out.

Billy Stewart /

I live in the UK. And postage to the states ain't exactly cheap. Nor is the printing free. So no I have no issue offering a discount. But nor can I afford to be handing stuff away. I asked for help to perfect a set for the US bikes I had a full set for the UK bike off my own so I could offer something that was not out there. As a benefit for people restoring a bike. I know that isn't most on here as you prefer to soup up and customise. Nothing wrong in that. I do it to some of my own. And when I get round to offering them it was going to be over a 1/3rd cheaper than what already out there. And far more complete. And as I said I have no issue offering a discount. But nor can I spend days and hard cash to gift it away gratis. Gotta cover my costs minimum.

Here they are Billy.

DSCN0252.JPG
DSCN0253.JPG

Billy Stewart /

Thank you Bob. Very nice of you to help.

> Billy Stewart Wrote:

> I live in the UK. And postage to the states ain't exactly cheap. Nor is

> the printing free. So no I have no issue offering a discount. But nor

> can I afford to be handing stuff away. I asked for help to perfect a set

> for the US bikes I had a full set for the UK bike off my own so I could

> offer something that was not out there. As a benefit for people

> restoring a bike. I know that isn't most on here as you prefer to soup

> up and customise. Nothing wrong in that. I do it to some of my own. And

> when I get round to offering them it was going to be over a 1/3rd

> cheaper than what already out there. And far more complete. And as I

> said I have no issue offering a discount. But nor can I spend days and

> hard cash to gift it away gratis. Gotta cover my costs minimum.

A free set would be in order if shipping was paid.

You are in fact using a free site and asking for free help in order to "sell" to others. (edited)

And slapping a copyright on Yamaha decals like he could enforce it

Billy Stewart /

Look I have spoken to Bob both in the thread and privately. It is basically no one else's business. How or what arrangement we have came to. And feel free to go do your own ones on a vinyl cutter. I think you will find quite quickly that you would not be able to replicate those by that method. I own a large format cutter and printer. But it cannot do metallic and white ink. Therefore I send the job out to tender. They are also UV protected to last. Unlike anything done at home. But knock yourself out. If you have the ability to design them. With the correct typefaces, exact matched colour etc. It's a free world. And this as far as I'm concerned is the end of it. I won't engage again with comments unless from those that directly helped.

Go fuck yourself asshole.

> Billy Stewart Wrote:

> Look I have spoken to Bob both in the thread and privately. It is

> basically no one else's business. How or what arrangement we have came

> to. And feel free to go do your own ones on a vinyl cutter. I think you

> will find quite quickly that you would not be able to replicate those by

> that method. I own a large format cutter and printer. But it cannot do

> metallic and white ink. Therefore I send the job out to tender. They are

> also UV protected to last. Unlike anything done at home. But knock

> yourself out. If you have the ability to design them. With the correct

> typefaces, exact matched colour etc. It's a free world. And this as far

> as I'm concerned is the end of it. I won't engage again with comments

> unless from those that directly helped. (edited)

Barry (Bob) Brown /

Some Hobbit Decals I made and printed on Waterslide paper to test. Dimensions printed in correct size if anyone wants.

Honda decals.jpg

Can someone print me the Sierra Nevada on one side of my tank top and the Sonoran desert on the other side as some kind of transfer decal etc that will look great on my Hobbit top tank with some kind of relatively large motorcycle tank i bought off dos cycles. I've got some Honda wings already as a back up but I'd like a airbrush Harley thingie without the skulls or iron crosses on the cheap. I assume this is a pipe dream.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account