Puch speedometer needle sticking

The speedometer needle on my 1980 Puch Maxi is warped upwards and sticks to the glass whenever I slow down to 5-10 mph. I can get it to go to zero if I lightly tap on the glass. My girlfriend says the needle warped from years of being left out in the sun. Is there a way to keep it from sticking? Cable and drive gear on front wheel are lubed regularly (edited)

Re: Puch speedometer needle sticking

You could tear the speedo apart and replace the needle , but , you could likely tap the speedo face for a few years to equate to the same amount of effort . ;)

Probably Fred /

Not just from years but a just a few years out in the sun melts the needle,

Youbasically got to open it up like a can opener to fix it melt it back with a lighter and then it push back down (or up) it’s not very easy to do,

Best bet is to buy an Nos 40mph one or a Vdo speedo from a derbi moped that has a solid thick needle that doesn’t warp

Just don't go below 5-10mph, keep it on a treadmill when not in use snd refuel on the fly. Otherwise, take it apart and when it breaks in the process, buy a new one as Ken suggests.

Thomas Peffer /

Anyone on here got a spare NOS 40 mph vdo puch speedo in good overall shape that they wanna sell me?

> Thomas Peffer Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Anyone on here got a spare NOS 40 mph vdo puch speedo in good overall

> shape that they wanna sell me?

Might want to post in the BUY/SELL section . ;)

Thomas Peffer /

Yeah because I need a NOS 40 mph one anyhow as I'm running a kitted Puch

Brad William /

Im surprised this isn't a more common complaint. Mine did the same under the Michigan sun. You'd wonder how any would survive the south.

I fixed mine, but it took some patience. Probably not worth it to you. But I ran the speedo cable end with a slow drill to keep it at a fairly steady 10mph or so and waved the hot spot from the sun through a magnifying glass back and forth across the middle of the needle. Juuuuuust enough to wilt it downward a bit. That was a few years ago. It's still running just fine. (edited)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account