"floating " light coil for led source

15691724293592184307391613984214.jpg

This is such a repeat over and over question about 12v rectified / regulated lighting so leds can move reliably used that I decided to post this picture seeing I'm doing thisntona hpi mini.

As I've previously said hpi listened to various desired for floated ac so they made it easier to do it. Not as easy as they should on this version by not as hard as older generations. This one the cdi ground ( black wire and the back side of the three lighting coils end together so separate then with a side cutter and then silver solder the wire to a new second wire and bring out under the stator and include inntheboutbound wiring harness. Yes!!! I was somewhat delirious the day I put t on the mutant hobbit ad forgot this cdi wasn't floated hence now I'll end up probably needing to pull stator etc to get it all out and secure. I'll put a bit of shrink wrap over the soldered connection

Re: "floating " light coil for led source

♣Slew Foot♣ /

I have found that if you have a 6 volt point system you can run the LED flashlights without a regulator or Rectifier most of them will take 6 volt and as a bonus if you can rig a zener diode you can make a charger for a USB port 5 volt DC it can charge like one of those batteries for a vape so that it's always charged if you had a bad of us would go right in the battery compartment there's even a thing to hold it

you cant float ac. you did a nice job of changing ground points but floating is a dc thing. the 2nd poster is off a little bit. no problem running 12v, that's exactly why you changed ground points. auto leds will work. no need for 4.5v.

on the 2nd posters talk about blinky bike stuff that runs off 4.5v its easy. cut out the blinky board and run a emitter follower voltage regulator at 4v. the led's last forever when you lower the voltage slightly. I know its over everyones head but it costs less than a buck and works flawlessly

Well slew foot is surely on to something IF you want to stay 6 volts. And i do think that using the electronics that came originally but using a few tricks to get to some LEDs is not a bad idea. I'm using hpi minis in all three of my hobbits builds and in my magnum. The amount of available juice to run things is impressive. So yes if u r going hpi or a few other 12 v lighting systems plus a cdi , I would float the light as I illustrated , run it to a two wire volt regulator and then to a silicon bridge or go the trail tech 5 wire with a battery to act as an electron sink.

Both allow you to utilize the original harness with some modification.

slew foot is not onto anything. you need a driver. emitter follower. there needs to be a transistor in the mix.

you did not float the light. floating means you wire with a different ground because can't use the frame.

@el polo ...that's exactly what I was showing. I ungrounded the back side of the lighting coil. The picture was showing that on a hpi mini. What u then do with the DC side of the equation is not at the stator it is at the black wire of the five wire trailtech. And yes the DC is not frame grounded.

And if u simply want to run , for instance , a halogen on AC ; two wire ac via a trailtech two wire ( the base of the two wire is grounded to suck up excess energy) , the halogen will in my experience look better.

if you unground a stator you can use frame as ground. don't unground the same stator you have to float ground.

halogen is a mistake because you need high wattage from the stator. led is the modern fix. 800 lumens 5w $1.40.

expected less from this site, you guys are sharp here. I know enough electronics from collage that I make my own 2 wire regulators both kinds. shunt and led driver. if you stick to 12v you can use auto parts and can run without a driver.

Dirty30 Dillon /

You don't need a driver to produce DC in a usable form.

A full bridge rectifier pulling both ends of a coil produces a good dc signal that is made better after throwing it through a regulator. Moto ignitions did this for many years to make DC.

Maybe you should go back to "collage."

you need a driver when you run different voltages. let flashlights that run forever at 4v wont run on a 12v system. I straight out said run 12v and use 12v led's without a driver.

does not matter if you shunt after the rectifier or shunt ac with the modern r/r. the modern r/r uses scr tech (ac)

I finished grad school, you have no idea what I know.

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Battery in my system works as the regulator rectifier all I know is I just hooked up some flashlights the way they should be hooked up on my frame and they worked also I was running 1157 LED bulbs in my batavus for years

Dirty30 Dillon /

> el pollo Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> you need a driver when you run different voltages. let flashlights that

> run forever at 4v wont run on a 12v system. I straight out said run 12v

> and use 12v led's without a driver.

>

> does not matter if you shunt after the rectifier or shunt ac with the

> modern r/r. the modern r/r uses scr tech (ac)

>

> I finished grad school, you have no idea what I know.

I know you can't spell college.

Are you trying to run a battery? If not, there really is no advantage to DC. Modern LED tails like the vertical fixation runs on 12V regulated AC just fine without blowing out.

U r so so wrong!! I need good DC for my 1. Larsen tractor headlight ...if u have never seen one in action then I suggest you do

2. A Bosch accessory water pump for my malossi kit on one of my hobbits.

But these ARE mopeds so none of this nonsense is essential.

Marc -- Sorry, did not know that the purpose of it was to run a pump.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

Actually DC is much more efficient over shorter runs of cable than AC (you have the low points in the frequency curve), and its better to drive constant current devices (this is why LEDs run on DC)

You cannot "float" your lighting coil because the ignition coil is also generating AC voltage to drive your spark, so if you try to use the frame as a DC ground you definitely will pick up some noise.

I like to use a radioshack 50A 50v rectifier and after that everything else is your own preference, but you need at least a filter cap on the output from rectifier, and a reservoir cap on the output of the regulator if you aren't using a battery

I have used the four prong radio shack rectifier on two of my DC conversion without a battery. I prefer the five wire with the battery because it's way easier to locate and wire up. I'll post some pictures when I get home. Yes it costs a bit more but it's an incredibly robust solution.

Overpriced Parts /

> Marc Friedman Wrote:

> I have used the four prong radio shack rectifier on two of my DC

> conversion without a battery. I prefer the five wire with the battery

> because it's way easier to locate and wire up. I'll post some pictures

> when I get home. Yes it costs a bit more but it's an incredibly robust

> solution.

Wow you must be a doctor a politician to be able to afford all this modified crap, I use my stock ignition and lighting coil's on my magnum and been blasting for 12 seasons.

if I ever needed anesthesiologist in the LA area I'll look you up because you're way smarter than a box of rocks :)

Sorry I'm in NorCal. And sometimes I'm dumber than a rock.

> el pollo Wrote:

> I finished grad school, you have no idea what I know.

I know your advanced degree is not in electrical engineering...

Def not. But V= IR

♣Slew Foot♣ /

Why do people go with electric pumps? Wouldn't it be more prudent do actually have a mechanical pump? You know like a fancy impeller like tear apart an old water pump and hook it up via a belt and pulley?

I went electric because I was confident it would work with the electrics I was using. Lots of peeps use mechanical pumps.

Dirty30 Dillon /

> ♣Slew Foot♣ Wrote:

> Why do people go with electric pumps? Wouldn't it be more prudent do

> actually have a mechanical pump? You know like a fancy impeller like

> tear apart an old water pump and hook it up via a belt and pulley?

Because the only required power is 12VDC which does not need a tiny belt or machined gear mech to operate.

Also, you can mount them anywhere and not just within prox. of your driven source.

Ungapped rings to bind them all /

A single diode in line will result in half wave DC and half the voltage.

A 3 wire rectifier needs a frame ground with a grounded coil for the other side of the AC, otherwise its a half wave rectifier.

Multiple OEM coils need to be rectified individually because of the phase differences so in that case you might be better off KISS rectifying at the accessory.

A 4200uf electrolytic cap across the DC at the rectifier will smooth the pulses out of an LED headlight at idle.

You don't need a pump under normal conditions. 70 CC kits rarely exceed 240 with a thermal syphon.

obviously the chicken is trying to just be a forum prick, maybe he knows what hes talking about but splitting hairs over the usage of the term 'floating' really doesn't add anything to the discussion.

the way i would define 'floating' the ground just means anything where you are isolating one circuit from the common ground/frame of the vehicle. you can have positive ground, negative ground, or an alternating ground system in vehicle electronics, by it being common with the frame its 'ground'

i just found this nifty polaris reg/rec while working on my ATV, it has 2 poles of AC and outputs one red wire of regulated 12v DC. Kind of a nifty lil' unit for moped type applications. Haven't tried one on a moped yet but i'm thinking i might run it on my Peugeot with the 'le partie' CDI because i floated that, and this is a super simple hookup.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008I6K9AY/

[/url]

Graham's link is Def a way to go if u r frame grounded. Hobbits are wired with a green ground that is easy to turn into the black wire of DC .

I don't know if the adage that it's best not to frame ground the cdi ignition and the lighting if both DC. I have no knowledge at that level of electrical PhDness but with my conversions that frame ground situation is avoided.

thanks for fixking the link PD!

yeah if a CDI is in fact a true DC cdi, it typically is on a bike with a big 3 phase stator and a full DC system in which case you dont have an AC system

if its an AC cdi like most moped systems, the circuit isn't going to be closed for cross communication with the power coil.

either way its good to run a ground loop whether you are AC or DC for all your lights and equipment, whether or not you ground the (-) side of a DC system to the frame

i just reconfigured an old yamaha enduro and instead of frame grounding the voltage reg, i put an eye terminal through the mounting scrw and tied it to the battery negative, because it has 3 independant AC lighting circuits all coming from a multi-tap coil, the AC points coil, and a limited DC system that runs the blinkers and tail light. WHEW!

you are screwed up with names, you changed ground. that makes an ac stator dc. it also gives twice the output. a excellent repair but its not floating. honestly you can't float ac period. end of story. ac floats by definition.

so what floats, dc only. the dc output could be considered floating. why because its not steady. when the dc voltage gets to 14.3 the regulator turns on. below 14.3 the regulator is off. the voltage floats with the regulator. 14.3 is the average voltage from the regulator. some times a bit higher other times a bit lower but when its on the average is 14.3v. that's the float. I don't care how many times you check, the frame is 0 with a dc stator. full wave dc ground does not float. on an ac stator you can run 1/2 wave. you float ground with an ac stator. ground is still zero but you can't use it because the ground coming out of the regulator is -7.16. when you float ground you use only the + side of the wave. what this means is ground can't touch the frame. ground floats isolated from the frame.

Dude come on. Relax. Take a big breathe. AC current is generated when a wire floats through a magnetic field. The current in a wire passing by the Earth will have a alternating current propagated but that power stays in the wire. If one end is grounded and the other end is allowed to flow and the current on one side is allowed to do useful work before it returns to the ground it's one wire ac. If both ends are grabbed and each go to the two ends of the filament it's two wire "floated " ac or call it whatever u want. U can call George or bob if that works for you.

DC current is linear it is not a wave phenomenon. It does it by stringing the electrons in a row and preceeding electron whacks the neck one like.an infinities of bumper cars. My understanding is that the wave of ac when both ends are connected to a two wire ac regulator with them excess voltage shed to frame or to the ac side of a silicon rectifier.

But dude if u prefer one wire ac then please go for it. My led wants DC. Maybe yours are different. Thendc get from what I tried to demonstrate is very very good. U should try it and see if I'm full of whatever.

The wire story passing through Earth's magnetic field isn't my creation it's from a basic electricity book I've read.

I hope you eventually agree.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account