New to Mopeds & Just got a '81 Honda NX50 - Carb Issues

This is my intro to something I havent done before. I owned a GY6 Ruckus a few years back but this seems to be a whole new ordeal. Picked up this '81 Honda NX50 for $40 which I think was a pretty good deal. It is missing a carb so I came here hoping to get some tips/pointers on where to start. I have read a few posts and think I should either go with a Dellorto SHA or a Revolution Carb but seems I might have to do some modifications to the throttle cable.

Honda NX50 FredJohnsonInc.jpg

Re: New to Mopeds & Just got a '81 Honda NX50 - Carb Issues

Does it have the VIN on it? I would just buy a keihin carburetor like the ones that came on it. They're not hard to find and they're pretty solid.

Yes the vin is very clear on it. Do you mind posting a link? I would like to keep it pretty stock but the carb and airbox are missing so as I have found out a complete airbox is hard to come by.

> Fred Johnson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Yes the vin is very clear on it. Do you mind posting a link? I would

> like to keep it pretty stock but the carb and airbox are missing so as I

> have found out a complete airbox is hard to come by.

Post on the buy/sell forum. Not entirely sure about the airbox but people definitely have the stock carb kicking around

> Fred Johnson Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> Does anyone know if this would work for me?

>

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Honda-NU50-NX50-Revolution-Carburetor-1982-1983-Urban-Express-AIR-FILTER/233323624466?hash=item36532bf812:g:pcEAAOSwq6pbh-AF

Don't pay $80 for a shitty Chinese clone. I'm not sure if there's any way to get these to work for you: https://www.treatland.tv/16mm-honda-hobbit-pa50-clone-carb-p/16mm-hobbit-clone-carb.htm

I know your bike has an autochoke or vacuum lines or something like that on the carb but I've never had one.

Being I dont know what I should order I am just trying to find the best solution that will allow me to not have to run the factory airbox being I am missing the OEM Carb and Airbox.

Jack Rutherford /

Are you also missing the long, curved, brass throttle cable guide that goes before the carb chamber cap?

Jack Rutherford /

If you are and want to run a stock carb, you can fashion a spacer out of old fuel line that's hardened up. The urban express carb is the same but you'll need to switch the main jet to a 65 and the urban carb doesn't have that funky brass tube on top. Problem is that people want $100-150 for a stock carb or stock urban carb. And that's probably why the carb is missing and wasn't replaced.

I am not locked in to retaining a stock carb. My main goal is just to get it running and open to suggestions.

you're gonna need an exhaust on there to get any carb set up right. and that mess of wires where the headlight should be, ugh. good luck.

I've seen a hobbit carb on a nu50 before, that $20 clone may work if you open up the mounting holes toward the center, hobbit intake studs are farther apart. it will be jetted too rich for your bike, but it might not matter of you use a high flow filter like pictured with the revo carb, or some people just use a scrap of oiled pantyhose over the intake on the carb. it will be loud without an airbox, if that matters to you.

just to confirm, is the stock intake still there, just missing the carb?

i think the nx50 uses vacuum to open & close the petcock, not exactly sure how that works. that will cause some issues without the stock setup.

I have a nu50m which has a very similar motor, but there are some differences. I'd suggest searching this site, all forums, all dates, and reading all you can about the nx50 for more details.

here's the nu50 manual , it should help get you going.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account